Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dh has high cholesterol

This is confusing me. Too....much.....information....at ...once.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantern Light Mama For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! I think I eat omega fats and I definitely eat high fiber (just had a green smoothie). Someone remind me which omega fats to eat and where they come from? I ran 32 miles last week (over 5 hours of running in the freezing cold!), so I have that part covered My recent cholesterol was 245.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl View Post
I am so frustrated.... Dh was tested in march..His levels are what they consider dangerously high (he is only 30) Heart problems also run in his family...dad had them, grandpa, great gpa, maternal gma and his mom has high cholesterol as well.. so you get the picture...

I do not know how to convince him not to take the statins....

He was tested again in early Aug and actually the good cholesterol had gone up a little and the bad had dropped a little..something we are doing much be working somewhat... but still...he thinks that if he doesn't take it he will be dead by 40. He is a really high strung person..which adds into that.

I am in this same spot with DBF. He is not convinced that anything natural works, and keeps citing some study that statins have been used for years with no ill effects.

I made him eat fish with sauteed in CO and veggies for dinner on saturday. He can eat whatever during the week but at my house he is eating by my rules
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Shaklee sells a Cholesterol supplement that has good reviews. Righteousmama sells it.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (02-07-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

DH was just told that his cholesterol was on the high end of normal (223) when he was tested at bootcamp over a year ago. (And they just now said anything to him about it...that's Navy Medical for you. ) Granted, his diet before enlisting was not so great (a lot more carbs and sugar) and he was hardly exercising at all. He's in better shape now although his weight has crept back up since he's been in class all the time and not exercising as much. I'm curious to see what it would be now. 2 of his 3 biologically related brothers and his father have all been diagnosed with high cholesterol, and his oldest brother was processed out of the Navy for it since he couldn't control it (but he doesn't know anything beyond conventional "wisdom" about treating it). Thankfully since DH is still in the "normal" range if on the higher end of it, they are only going to monitor his levels every year and not requiring action yet. But I want to be proactive esp. since it could impact not just his health (important in itself) but his job, too.

Soooo...subbing for ideas to keep him healthy. I've already been working to reduce grains and sugar in our diet overall. I try to keep the amount of processed food in our diet as low as possible. We eat grass-fed butter and drink raw, grass-fed milk. We could probably stand to up the amount of fiber in all our diets, but we do eat a fair amount of fresh fruits. I struggle to know how to really get lots of veggies in. A really good green smoothie recipe would be good. I have the Superfoods Rx book on order from Amazon and I'll get him on Omega-3's. He's going to ask if he can join his shipmate's workout group to have some accountability now. Keep the suggestions and/or new info coming if anyone has any!

Oh yeah, and DH is only 30 as well!

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend reading Eat to Live and/or Eat for Health if you are looking for a diet overhaul that will work.

Eat to Live is not low fat. It replaces (most) animal fats with fats from seeds, nuts, and avocado. Not oils (Mediterranean diet is healthier than SAD but the oils are still not a great idea in any significant amounts, especially if you have cholesterol issues). It is also no sugar, no processed food, and even whole grains are limited for someone that needs to lose weight. It doesn't have to be completely vegan, though it could be.

Last edited by teamommy; 02-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #22
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Green Smoothie 101

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
MiriamRose (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad (who is naturally thin) has hereditary high cholesterol and unfortunately, he does not tolerate any of the lipid lowering drugs. He tried a vegan diet (it actually called for fish and fish oil, but he has anaphylaxis to seafood) and he lowered his cholesterol by almost 100 points. He did also lose close to ten pounds.

Mama to my four dear children ages 22, 19, (forever 13) and 10
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I am so frustrated with the so-called medical wisdom that cholesterol is supposed to be below 200. It's not. That number was arrived at by the drug companies. It is normal for a healthy human being to have cholesterol between 200-300. Our bodies need cholesterol to create hormones.
Dr. Mercola has a lot of good information on his website. It's a place to learn more about what cholesterol is really supposed to be.

My cholesterol, last it was checked, was around 245 or so. My doctor was so happy. I eat right, exercised regularly at that time, and other blood profiles pointed to great health. My husband's cholesterol is regularly 145. My doctor is worried about him; that's too low. He eats garbage, usually once or twice per day at most, just started running, but refuses to change his diet.
While drug companies quote statistics, like 50% of people who have heart attacks had high cholesterol, keep in mind that means 50% didn't. There was another factor, but since statin drugs put lots of money in their coffers, they continue the untruth at the risk of damaging more people with statins.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-22-2012), cobluegirl (01-30-2013), Earthylady (04-19-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
I am so frustrated with the so-called medical wisdom that cholesterol is supposed to be below 200. It's not. That number was arrived at by the drug companies. It is normal for a healthy human being to have cholesterol between 200-300. Our bodies need cholesterol to create hormones.
Dr. Mercola has a lot of good information on his website. It's a place to learn more about what cholesterol is really supposed to be.

My cholesterol, last it was checked, was around 245 or so. My doctor was so happy. I eat right, exercised regularly at that time, and other blood profiles pointed to great health. My husband's cholesterol is regularly 145. My doctor is worried about him; that's too low. He eats garbage, usually once or twice per day at most, just started running, but refuses to change his diet.
While drug companies quote statistics, like 50% of people who have heart attacks had high cholesterol, keep in mind that means 50% didn't. There was another factor, but since statin drugs put lots of money in their coffers, they continue the untruth at the risk of damaging more people with statins.
Do you have any sources for this info? It's super compelling, if it can be backed up. Isn't Mercola seen by a lot of people as a bit quack-ish?
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I got the information, and saw the flow chart, with my doctor, then saw some back up with Mercola. I don't know if he's seen as a quack by some people, but what I see of his work, it's sound scientifically and medically. An added bonus is he includes links to studies so the reader can determine the findings on their own.

But, I can share some links I have saved in my favorites about cholesterol which might have more information on this.
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/03...-Disease.shtml
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla...art-75668.aspx
http://butterbeliever.com/why-i-am-n...checked-again/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-s...#axzz24x4pcPAv

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (01-30-2013), Earthylady (04-19-2013), schmamy (01-30-2013)