Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #31
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm about to let this baby cry it out...

My daughter just turned four. She nurses to sleep still but it is less than five minutes from crawling to my lap, I love yous, nursing and unlatching.

In the middle of the night, I usually tell her "I need to be on my stomach but you can have milk later." And that's fine for her most of the time. She wakes up and wants to eat real food, not nurse. If she does need to nurse it's just a quick comfort nursing and right back to sleep. I don't see any reason right now to make it a hard and fast line. Right now it's working for us as is and leaves room for the odd moments of her really needing to nurse, during sickness or stress.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-11-2014), Contented in FL (11-11-2014), kiloyd (11-11-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

OK, now my T did not wake every 45 minutes. But he did do a fair bit of night waking and was hard to sneak away from. And only nummies could put him back to sleep. He was very intense about his need to nurse. There were a few times DH was quite frustrated that T woke when I left the house and he was stuck with an inconsolable screaming toddler (he was almost 2 the most memorable time). I was not single parenting but it was a very rare thing for anyone else to put him to sleep. Eventually DH could help but he still needed/wanted to nurse in the night until about age 3. Between 3 and 3.5 we completely stopped the night nursing and nursing to sleep because I couldn't manage it with two, but he was old enough that it didn't take much nudging from me. Then for a while DH or I would lay with him or pat him to sleep. We graduated to sitting in a chair across the room telling stories then going out after he was asleep.

Now he is 5 and puts himself to sleep with absolutely no help- he doesn't really want us in the room when he is going to sleep unless we are helping H go to sleep. He is not afraid of the dark- he was for a while. DH and I both think that he is more secure in his independence because his night needs were so completely met in his early days.

It is hard, but you can think of it as an investment.

As for "training" them to sleep without nursing, I DO think it is good to try putting children to sleep in different ways- nursing, rocking, patting, whatever. But realistically, that is something I try once in a while when the "stars align" and it seems like that'll work. Otherwise, at that age, it's easier to just give the breast

It is only a season, but it is a VERY difficult season. It will get better. You are NOT spoiling him. He will mature. I didn't think T would, despite reading other posts that sound like mine. But he did.
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-11-2014), Contented in FL (11-11-2014), kiloyd (11-11-2014), mamacat (11-11-2014), MegMarch (11-11-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-11-2014), Rugayatu (11-13-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

After three babies and one extremely difficult sleeper (my first),one incredibly easy sleeper (my second) and N, my 13 mo who falls between the extremes,I do think that the various sides or lines if you will are far more nuanced than perhaps one thread can cover.
And so,in the interest of trying to help a sleep-deprived mama-not for her convenience but for her health and sanity-I want to add that whether you nurse or don't nurse your baby every time he wakes,I would encourage at least a try at patting him,rocking him,etc and letting him be sleepy (beside you,in a crib,etc) and learning to associate soft,warm bed with sleep rather than soft,warm bed is where I wake up and call for mom to help me get back to sleep.
I cannot see harm or risk in sharing (or rather passing on from Pantley' s NCSS) a principle that encourages longer,deeper rest for both mother and child.
I do not advocate,hard,unmoving lines. Follow your intuition by all means
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-11-2014), lizzyd (11-11-2014), melissa5317 (11-12-2014), MidnightCafe (11-11-2014), Zooey (11-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #34
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
There are true biological reasons that babies fall asleep with breastmilk/feeding. Yes, it's more convenient for mom and starts a training process, but it feels like we are getting on shakey ground here. I suppose I have seen too many medical issues and true physical needs being met by doing what a mom feels necessary and I would hate for anyone to feel discouraged from nursing their baby when they feel it is the right thing to do.

I would FIRST start with trying to nurse down in the bed and skip the step of the crib and see what happens.
I want to re-iterate that I was not suggesting withholding breastfeeding at all. What we did when DD somewhat over a year old was nurse at bedtime but before getting into bed. After nursing, we would lie down and talk her to sleep. (This didn't involve any crying, either. She had a full tummy, and was completely content to lie down in bed while we talked and patted her back until she fell asleep.) Once she wasn't falling asleep while nursing she didn't wake to nurse constantly in the middle of the night, either. A pat on the back and some mumbled reassurances settled her back into sleep when she stirred. If she woke up wanting to nurse, we still nursed. I'm not in any way talking about withholding biological needs. Just want to be clear.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-11-2014), lizzyd (11-11-2014), mamacat (11-12-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-11-2014), Zooey (11-12-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #35
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Another post mentioned this and I think it's worth repeating. Trying to use the crib can cause far more frustration than relief. If you feel like you "should" be putting him in his crib and it's just not working, take the crib out of the equation completely. None of my babies would ever stay asleep in a crib, even for 5 minutes. With my first baby, it frustrated me to no end and I kept trying and getting more and more frustrated. Once I finally just accepted it, it was so pleasant! With each subsequent baby I tried a few times and then just went with what worked really well. My babies slept in a carrier during the day and in my bed at night.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 11-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-11-2014), CelticJourney (11-11-2014), houseforjoy (11-12-2014), mamacat (11-12-2014), MegMarch (11-11-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #36
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler because you might not want to hear it yet:

It certainly can lead to anxiety and depression. Please take care.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-11-2014), houseforjoy (11-12-2014), Kiara.I (11-12-2014), kiloyd (11-12-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-11-2014), Rugayatu (11-13-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014), Zooey (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 AM   #37
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I only had 1 out of 5 that a crib worked for.And of course she was dc3 so didnt even make provisons for a crib and had to later after she outgrew her oses basket.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #38
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Soliloquy has an excellent and a very practical point:"Is he getting at least an hour of fresh air and lots of large motor activity every day? Is he eating enough in the evenings? A bedtime snack can help."

Your little fellow is becoming a toddler. It is amazing how hungry they sometimes can be when they start growing. Even after a bedtime snack you still can nurse him down.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (11-13-2014), mamacat (11-12-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #39
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
She had a full tummy, and was completely content to lie down in bed while we talked and patted her back until she fell asleep.) Once she wasn't falling asleep while nursing she didn't wake to nurse constantly in the middle of the night, either.
Some children are very content to do lots of things. A child who is this much more in this area and already not happy and content isn't likely to respond well to an approach that takes away what he associates with comfort.

First, I would encourage the OP that this is part of mothering with some children. They aren't doing it to us and they are miserable to be doing it themselves, so it falls to us to do our best to comfort them and, when that is not possible, to be with them the way we would want someone who loves us to help and comfort us through a rough situation. I know it's hard when all of the hormones are going on inside of us - especially in response to the crying - but mothering is often about doing the hard stuff and you can do it.

Second, children don't cry like this for no reason. I would definitely looking into removing dairy from your diet (all hidden dairy too, not just no milk or cheese). I would get the child to a doctor to discuss reflux and other health issues that can affect sleep.

Third, I would work to create a rhythm of the day to be alternating expending energy and resting so that energy is expended right before times of sleeping (naps, bedtime). Not over exhausting them, just finding a beautiful and natural rhythm of up and down times. And I would reconsider the sleeping arrangements. If he wakes every time you lay him in the bed, he is not the problem. I would encourage you to find a way to stop doing the thing that is disrupting his sleep. Letting his CIO won't fix the problem - it will just be another problem and will create more problems.

for answers
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-12-2014), CelticJourney (11-12-2014), Chaos Coordinator (11-12-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-12-2014), Rugayatu (11-13-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014), sweetpeasmommy (11-12-2014), Zooey (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #40
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
Some children are very content to do lots of things. A child who is this much more in this area and already not happy and content isn't likely to respond well to an approach that takes away what he associates with comfort.
Ummm...My child was one of those 1yr olds waking every 45 minutes to nurse. I responded to this post because it sounded almost exactly like what I went through with DD.

I was offering a suggestion. That's all. It's a possibility. In my clarification I was trying to communicate that we weren't withholding needs or letting her cry. I went above and beyond to state the part about crying so that people would not assume I was suggesting that the baby should be nursed and then cry to sleep.

I am in no way suggesting that what worked for us will work for everyone. I *am* offering one possibility that *might* be worth a try.

For what it's worth, I also agree that it's worth looking into the possibility of reflux and food allergies. I've known plenty of people for whom that was the key to a better night's sleep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
hollybells (11-12-2014), kiloyd (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #41
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect also that while it worked out very well with my dds 2nd dd as a NB it probably wouldnt have worked for some of my kids but wish I had known to at least give it a try

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #42
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I think the responses in this thread a good example of keeping your options open and keeping your eye on your baby and what your individual child needs - none of us can see what you see.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-12-2014), kiloyd (11-12-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-12-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #43
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a non sleeper. For 6.5 years. He never sttn until we removed both dairy and gluten at 5 yo. And didn't regularly STTN until we removed sugar at 6.5 yo. He has slept great ever since.

Not nursing to sleep was not going to work out with a undiagnosed refluxy food allergic infant. I did make sure to get him protein and complex carb snack before bed every night and then nurse him down. That helped get at least one longer stretch. I was also never going to cosleep but finally decided to do it safely since I kept falling asleep with him in arms.

CIO is not the answer. It causes brain damage, increased cortisol and can lead to life long anxiety. You don't just do it once and then done. You keep doing it over and over. Every time they get sick and you actually comfort them at night, you repeat the cycle when they are well.

Some people do well with introducing a lovey or blanket that you can use when nursing and sleeping as a comfort object. Not to replace you, but it is possible that if you skooch away for a bit it might help to have your smell there.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #44
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to come and say while it does get better some kids are simply much needier at bedtimes.
My oldest is 7, he will not go to sleep unless I'm in the room.
Which means if he wakes up too much in the middle of the night to pee etc he'll come to our room because he can't fall back asleep in his room.
And he does share a room with my 3yo, who needs me to fall asleep and still finishes out 60-70% of our night in my bed (usually ON me lol).
I sometimes wish I could put them both in the full bottom bunk and let the help each other fall asleep, but that just doesn't work.

Hmmm, maybe this wasn't so encouraging. But your not doing anything wrong, some babies need more night time care. My 3yo nursed 6x a night until he was 2, then he nursed 3x a night until he weaned at 3y3m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
Contented in FL (11-12-2014), mamacat (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #45
MCP1982
Seedling Rose

MCP1982 is just really niceMCP1982 is just really niceMCP1982 is just really niceMCP1982 is just really niceMCP1982 is just really nice

Wow, the responses are overwhelming. Thank you. So I of course did not let him CIO, but I was feeling so desparate for sleep and a break its how I felt.
I'll try to answer some questions I remember reading.
Elimination diet - you wouldn't believe the diet I was on. My LC laughed that I basically ate air. I've been able to reintroduce everything now.
We have tried eating at different times, and dinner right before bed works the best for us.
He was a reflux baby and weaned off those meds. Though I had been rolling the idea around in my head that perhaps we should try meds again. Thank you to those that mentioned it. I went to the ped today and started zantac this afternoon. Will take a couple days, but hopefully that will help.
I do sometimes go into the spare bedroom to sleep so my DH can get good sleep, and so he doesn't disturb us when he gets up to go to work. (When he is in town)
His mattress is at an incline, and that seems to help with a nap.
I don't remember what else you all asked or suggested, but thank you for the responses. I think I have been struggling with a bit of ppd, plus I have ptsd that rears its ugly head this time of year, and the time change hasnt helped either. So with being lonely, tired, and feeling crazy, I needed to vent.
I love this baby more than I ever imagined I could, and I will hold him, cuddle him, and nurse him when he needs me.
Maren
MCP1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MCP1982 For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-13-2014), Carini (11-13-2014), CelticJourney (11-13-2014), Chaos Coordinator (11-13-2014), esperanza (11-13-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (11-17-2014), kiloyd (11-13-2014), light of mine (11-13-2014), MamaRachel (11-14-2014), MegMarch (11-13-2014), OnAMission (11-13-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-14-2014), Rugayatu (11-13-2014), SewingGreenMama (11-13-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014), squiddles (11-13-2014), sweetpeasmommy (11-13-2014), tazmom (11-13-2014)
The Following 12 Users Say they are praying for MCP1982:
Beth1231 (11-13-2014), Chaos Coordinator (11-13-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (11-17-2014), kiloyd (11-13-2014), light of mine (11-13-2014), MegMarch (11-13-2014), OnAMission (11-13-2014), ReedleBeetle (11-14-2014), Soliloquy (11-13-2014), squiddles (11-13-2014), sweetpeasmommy (11-13-2014), tazmom (11-13-2014)