Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to transition from cosleeping to own bed?

Cosleeping feels safe and cosy to the child. I've read that in some cultures people continue sleeping next to family members much longer than we do in our culture and I can see the logic of that.

But if you're ready for your bigger little one to begin sleeping in his or her own bedroom, how do you transition?

I've got one independent kid who readily falls asleep in his own room. He simply started doing it one day, so that was pretty effortless Kid #2 is bouncy bouncy bouncy unless I'm there to cuddle until she's asleep. But this takes a while, by which time I'm usually sleep too. But I'd really rather sleep in my own bed I've tried teaching her how to sequentially relax all the muscles in her body like Crystal suggests, but we get to the end of the exercise and she freaks out because she "isn't sleepy yet." (I never found relaxation exercises the slightest bit helpful when I was a child, so that doesn't surprise me.)

Anyway. My only plan is to sit on a chair beside her bed, read a story, turn out the light, and sit there for 40 minutes until she's asleep. Oh yay. She is a talker, too. Her brother will sit silently until he's sleepy, but she talks herself to sleep. No joke. I ask her to tell me a story and she goes on and on and on until she drops asleep

Oh, some families listen to Adventures in Odyssey after lights out. But those stories can be very action-packed. I don't think it would be relaxing enough for her.

Any tips or suggestions?

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars

Last edited by Taedareth; 11-01-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to transition from cosleeping to own bed?

Maybe find some less action oriented stories Or maybe just soft classical music?

You could put a mattress beside her bed for you - 'mom is going to sleep, you go to sleep' kinda separate but together to get her used to being alone in the bed without having to be completely alone.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with celtic about both of those ideas.Then when you start trying the sep. room let them know that if they need to they can come to your room and get into that other bed and not wake you up. I have even had a teen or 2 dd come in in the night and say I KNOW it is just that big raccoon I am haring outsie my window but..... dh was always sweet about going and sleeping in their room when that happened

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

What is her age?

I laid with mine on their bed, sometimes falling asleep, and then got up and went to my bed. If they woke at night I usually went to their bed.

You could also sit her with her for x amount of time then tell her you are going to the bathroom and will be right back or some other short chore. I did this with my son and would come back and he'd be asleep or I'd take longer to come back and he'd be asleep.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-01-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

When I was teaching my older two to sleep in their own beds, I probably made the transition harder on myself than it needed to be, because it felt like it took forever.
It takes 21 days to create a habit. So, the first 21 days, I laid in their bed with them until they fell asleep. The second 21 days, I sat against the wall on the other side of their bedroom where they could see me, but I wasn't in their bed. The third 21 days, I sat outside their bedroom door where they couldn't see me, but I was within earshot in case they got scared. After that, they were fine to sleep in their own beds as long as they got plenty of hugs and kisses before I turned out the light.
I was exhausted by the end of it. Hopefully you'll find some advice here that isn't quite as exhausting.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-01-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

Lucca is that way, she can take a while to fall asleep and she tends to talk and play and move around. Here are things that have helped us:

Pressure on her joints. She is sensory seeking and when she's very wiggly it means she needs to feel her body. I push all over her and that calms her down. We have a weighted blanket on the way to us for this.

Talking for a specific amount of time. Sometimes she just has things to say so we will quietly talk about them. Then when the time is up, I say ok it's time to go to sleep.

When she is not needing me there for the pressure or comfort, I will let her pick two toys and she can play quietly with them in her bed. She must be laying down and stay quiet, but she will play for a while and then fall asleep.

We haven't done this as much lately but I used to read to her. We've read lots and lots of books, I started with a children's Torah I found online, then we read the wizard of oz, dr Doolittle, Paddington books, charlottes web, bunches of books like that. Right now we are reading pride and prejudice.

Are you alone with the kids at bedtime? When I was working on getting lucca to stay in her bed all night (which was her preference, she didn't want to share a bed with dc) i picked a week daniel would be home and I would go in and lay with her every wake up and I just had daniel come wake me up. Now that I don't have an infant and am not way too tired to stay awake I play or read on my phone.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-03-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I told my 5yo if he sleeps in his own bed for two weeks I'd buy him skylanders

He's still sad some days. He's not sure it's worth it. But he is trying. This is a bed in our room, mind you. He's not ready to move down the hall yet.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Taedareth (11-03-2014)