Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #16
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation
Default Re: Teeth, Cavities, Care etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
I had small cavities between my teeth, according to x-rays and one dentist. He said not to fill them right then, but if they got bigger, we would need to. My teeth hurt all of the time, and I was using sensodyne every time I brushed my teeth, twice a day. I switched to Weleda's calendula toothpaste, and my teeth stopped hurting. Two years later, at a new dentist, with new x-rays, my teeth showed no damage. In that time, I had also started cal/mag supplements. And went completely dairy free, but maybe that's a side issue.

Not all black spots on teeth are cavities, by the way. I've got dark stains between my molars, but they're from blueberries, not cavities. Peroxide would make the stains go away, if I swished it regularly.
....thats interesting!
I was just looking on line after this for other toothpastes, I currently use Tom's.
I was wanting something with clay and xylitol. I found a lot of clay ones and a lot of xylitol ones but none that had both. Im gonna go see what the toothpaste you mentioned has in it.

I did go yesterday to buy me some mouthwash with xylitol, alcohol free, flouride free, all that stuff. Im just not so sure about the propylene glycol in it, I figure its still better than ACT that I was using.
Dd1 likes it much better already.

I want to make my own paste or wash but Im afraid to leave something out and actually be doing worse to our teeth than had I kept using drug store stuff. :/
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had bigger cavities, that were brown and yucky. The Weleda helped, and they looked better, but they still had to filled.

Better tooth care is really about prevention. Real tooth decay is serious. It can infect the entire jaw, and well before it reaches that point, it can get into the blood, damaging the heart, and can even affect an unborn baby. I truly believe that all tooth decay needs a professional to clean it and repair it. A cavity isn't like a broken bone. It's like flesh eating bacteria. It has to be cleaned out, and the holes filled back in, to protect the fleshy center of the tooth.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
me
Rose Garden

Totally agree!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of

So what kind of peroxide should one use?

Should I find a natural kind or can I use the cheap stuff I get at any store?

Remembering Mary
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit
I switched to Weleda's calendula toothpaste, and my teeth stopped hurting. Two years later, at a new dentist, with new x-rays, my teeth showed no damage.
Do you know, would that be safe for small children who don't spit out toothpaste? Peanut will be three soon, and we are still using infant toothpastes because he doesn't get the idea of spitting. We give him the occasional xylitol but his teeth are something I always worry about and I'm very interested in preventative measures for him especially.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Weleda makes a children's tooth gel. My kids love it. I think the regular stuff is safe, too, but I dunno for sure.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #22
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #23
me
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by purstrength
So what kind of peroxide should one use?

Should I find a natural kind or can I use the cheap stuff I get at any store?
I used/use the kind from the drug store
Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM   #24
lmgeenw
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lmgeenw has disabled reputation

I have read several places that peroxide reacts with amalgam fillings and releases more toxins, so you are not supposed to use it if you have them.

Also, for a babies teeth, you can just brush with xylitol sugar grains. I am still totally weirded out by the fact that "sugar" is good for my kids teeth, but we are desperate, so we are trying it.

Wife to DH since 1999
Momma to 3 awesome kiddos
IBCLC and postpartum doula in private practice
lmgeenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM   #25
me
Rose Garden

I just bought a bag of xylitol. Up to what age is that good for? Wonder if I could just brush the kids teeth with a paste of xylitol and calcium bentonite clay? Then let them just finish with mothwash...hmmm?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #26
lmgeenw
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lmgeenw has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I just bought a bag of xylitol. Up to what age is that good for? Wonder if I could just brush the kids teeth with a paste of xylitol and calcium bentonite clay? Then let them just finish with mothwash...hmmm?
I think xylitol is good for any age. I just know that the Zellies website says you can brush babies teeth with it and my baby loves it. I don't know about the clay. I just read about that the first time yesterday. Let me know if you try it!

Wife to DH since 1999
Momma to 3 awesome kiddos
IBCLC and postpartum doula in private practice
lmgeenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
me
Rose Garden

I notice when I add cilatro to our smoothies my teeth are squeaky clean that day. ??? I've done the same smoothie over and over with and without and cilantro seems to be the key.

I actually came here to ask about the xylitol though. Does anyone know of some made without any corn at all? And preferably not from trees. I was hoping more fruit based.....
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

subbing to read later

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #29
me
Rose Garden

Was bored and thought i would update. My daughters teeth, after going to the dentist for a cleaning, and i think they did the flouride thing, developed a small black spot. So i did a 360 and we stopped having her teeth cleaned. Her teeth are doing great and the baby ones with fillings, and the black spot is about to fall out. Im curious when it falls out to see what it looks like.We made several changes in our diet and brushing habits. None of the other 3 kids have any cavities or black spots. I only have sensitivity in my teeth when i eat low quality chocolate or candy. So i dont eat them. The xylitol i had bought also made my teeth ache so i stopped using it. For my family, it appears that the one person, my oldest daughter, to go and have regular work by the dentist was the one who had the worst tooth problems. They kept saying it was because her teeth were so tight. But funny thing is, they are the same now, yet she has stopped having problems.
Here are the changes off the top of my head for the past 3 years.
1. No more flossing, no more flouride, no more mainstream tooth products.
2. We brush with my homemade clay paste or use Weleda. Seems brushing dry with the paste first really makes a difference.
3. We take Food grade diatomaceous earth (silica is needed for calcium) and calcium bentonite clay as needed for our digestion/health
4. We still eat junk but the majority of our food is raw and as natural as possible, like organic free roaming meats/eggs/cheeses. Whenever we can get it.
5. We drink spring water, no tap water. Not even for cooking unless I run out.
Food for thought
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
cobluegirl (02-15-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #30
RedPetals
Climbing Rose

RedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant futureRedPetals has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
Was bored and thought i would update. My daughters teeth, after going to the dentist for a cleaning, and i think they did the flouride thing, developed a small black spot. So i did a 360 and we stopped having her teeth cleaned. Her teeth are doing great and the baby ones with fillings, and the black spot is about to fall out. Im curious when it falls out to see what it looks like.We made several changes in our diet and brushing habits. None of the other 3 kids have any cavities or black spots. I only have sensitivity in my teeth when i eat low quality chocolate or candy. So i dont eat them. The xylitol i had bought also made my teeth ache so i stopped using it. For my family, it appears that the one person, my oldest daughter, to go and have regular work by the dentist was the one who had the worst tooth problems. They kept saying it was because her teeth were so tight. But funny thing is, they are the same now, yet she has stopped having problems.
Here are the changes off the top of my head for the past 3 years.
1. No more flossing, no more flouride, no more mainstream tooth products.
2. We brush with my homemade clay paste or use Weleda. Seems brushing dry with the paste first really makes a difference.
3. We take Food grade diatomaceous earth (silica is needed for calcium) and calcium bentonite clay as needed for our digestion/health
4. We still eat junk but the majority of our food is raw and as natural as possible, like organic free roaming meats/eggs/cheeses. Whenever we can get it.
5. We drink spring water, no tap water. Not even for cooking unless I run out.
Food for thought
Tell me more about the no flossing and the homemade clay paste please!

We just got some xylitol gel for baby girl. She loved it. Hopefully it will keep her well on her way to healthy teeth.

Wife to my best friend since 2002

Mama to The Goose since February 2010 and Bubs June 2012

Compiler of Concise yet Thorough Summaries

Gluten, Egg & Dairy Free

Bibs & BabyLegs in my shop!
RedPetals is offline   Reply With Quote