Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teeth, Cavities, Care etc.

This topic is coming up a lot lately it was suggested that we do a sticky with info. Sounds like a good idea. I'll start.
I am going to copy and paste a few posts from another tooth thread in this forum.

Quote:
by LisaM
Vitamin D is HUGE in tooth health. I give my kids Nordic Natural cod liver oil capsules. They are strawberry flavor and the kids LOVE them. Also, sugar is in a lot of foods so even if you don't eat desserts, if you eat any processed foods you're getting sugar. White flour is almost as bad. Also, unless you're dairy-free, butter from grass-fed cows is an excellent source of fat-soluble vitamins to strengthen teeth & bones, as are eggs from pastured hens. Generally speaking, people w/ crowded teeth are more prone to cavities but, since she's little, there is good evidence that it can be corrected w/ good nutrition and her teeth will have a chance to spread out some.

An excellent book is Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price.

Quote:
by BeasleyQYou may want to look into xylitol.
The bacteria that eat away the enamel, thus causing cavities, can only survive in an acidic environment. Which is why sugar is so bad for the teeth. Unfortunately, many toothpastes (and mouthwashes) leave the mouth just acidic enough for these bacteria not only to survive, but actually thrive! So, brushing the kid's teeth at night just sets up a "party room" for the bacteria to grow overnight.
Xylitol taken regularly will keep the mouth slightly alkaline, preventing bacteria from growing.

Try www.xylitol.org for official info about the uses and how it's made (from birch trees, raspberries, corn, etc. - this is what the Native Americans used to keep their teeth healthy)
We like to use the mints and gum from www.zellies.com.
This dr stresses that weak enamel is NOT due to heredity, or age, or anything other than acidic mouth (even saliva can be slightly acidic). So, the cavities can be combatted, prevented and even healed using xylitol.
Quote:
by Cobluegirl
there is a thread at MDC called Curing Cavities with Nutrition or something like that...been a while since I read it..
http:// http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=399989 (link broken)

http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_...t_cavities.htm just found this..haven't read it yet... looks good... WAP was a dentist...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Raspberries

Default Curing Cavities without the Dentist

http://www.paradisenow. net/healing.html

I was just curious what others thoughts on this were. It looks very interesting to me and something I'd like to pursue. I have got some baaaad teeth and one that is now actually starting to cause me pain. Unfortunately though, because I've got state health insurance, the only fillings I can get are mercury. I also hate the dentist . I'd like to try to rebuild and repair naturally, but does it really work? Does it make the rot go away or just cover it up? Anyone ever try this or a variation of it?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation
Default Re: Curing Cavities without the Dentist

Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting...

I have no doubts those things will alleviate pain, but I'm skeptical that they can heal damage. :/
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Raspberries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
Interesting...

I have no doubts those things will alleviate pain, but I'm skeptical that they can heal damage. :/
I guess I was thinking that since teeth are bones and bones can health themselves, should teeth be able to also? I just don't know how the difference in damage (a broken bone vs. cavity) affects it's ability to heal. Would a cavity in the teeth be more like a broken bone or osteoporosis or something else.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had some success putting hydrogen peroxide on my kids small cavities.The trouble is,they start to look better but then they get tired of me putting the peroxide on

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I thought dentists couldnt use the mercury fillings anymore or is it just our state or area You might relook into that if you havent for awhile. If you use a dentist thru the state - do they have a clinic or a list of private ones you can use? If so,You might try calling the ones on the list to see if any of them use the other kind of filling and go there if you need to.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 05-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

Also - me again! - be sure and check out Rachaels sticky up there.She has some interesting info about xylitol.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Im gonna have to come back and retry opening the link.
I was just looking at the sticky last night about teeth.

I can say that since I have switched to natural toothpaste with xylitol that my teeth have sort of healed themselves. I was just about to go to the dentist because I could feel a cavity here and there when I ate sweets. But I sort of delt with it and backed off on the sweets. All the while changing my toothpaste and my diet. Then I noticed just the other day that I had been eating sweets again and had forgotten about my tooth pain.
I still have the dark areas on my teeth but the pain isnt there in the root like it use to be. If the dentists were right about every little cavity, what im describing would be an impossibility.

Not that I discredit dentistry. We bit the bullet and paid for our oldest to get some white fillings in two of her teeth.
Hers were deeper than mine are even to the eye.

And I agree with the peroxide. I use to gargle with peroxide whenever I remembered and I not only had white teeth but none of the dark spots I mentioned. Back then, I did the peroxide only because we couldnt afford mouthwashes and there was no "natural" stores out there. Unless you went to the local shop that sold herbs and tinctures that were still seen as witchcraft But even back then, I remember no one in our neighborhood went to the dentist unless a tooth needed to be pulled, and that was pretty much only the elderly. There were roots and things that people would use on their teeth

I think I might look into peroxide again or the xylitol mouth wash. Cant wait to see the link
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Raspberries

So that makes me wonder, do those things actually reverse the damage done? You mentioned you could still see the spots on your teeth. I wonder what the means. Is the cavity still there?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it would depend on how severe the damage is.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries
So that makes me wonder, do those things actually reverse the damage done? You mentioned you could still see the spots on your teeth. I wonder what the means. Is the cavity still there?
Ya like Mary said, I think the damage wasnt that bad. Not like my dd's. There is a link on Rachel's sticky about the teeth that shows a tooth with a filling. Then it points out the black area that extends down underneath the filling. Next to that picture is a picture of the same tooth but with not so much black area under the filling anylonger.

My guess would be, the black spots on the top of my teeth are there unless I had it scraped off. The pain I was feeling must have something to do with the black areas shown on the pic I mentioned. And somehow my diet and the xylitol helped fill in the black area but could not remove the decay ontop of my teeth.

Ill let you know when I actually go to a dentist. Did I mention, I havent been to a dentist since I was about 4 or something like that Bad bad me, I even now have insurance coverage for teeth cleaning. Im just afraid of fixing something that aint broken

Eta: I forgot I went in to the dentist in my late teens to have 2 wisdom teeth pulled because they got swollen so bad from allergies. But I was in and out of the chair. No cleaning, no mention of cavities, just an in and out.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
catholicapmom

Interesting!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to merge this with the sticky thread..

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:10 PM   #15
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teeth, Cavities, Care etc.

I had small cavities between my teeth, according to x-rays and one dentist. He said not to fill them right then, but if they got bigger, we would need to. My teeth hurt all of the time, and I was using sensodyne every time I brushed my teeth, twice a day. I switched to Weleda's calendula toothpaste, and my teeth stopped hurting. Two years later, at a new dentist, with new x-rays, my teeth showed no damage. In that time, I had also started cal/mag supplements. And went completely dairy free, but maybe that's a side issue.

Not all black spots on teeth are cavities, by the way. I've got dark stains between my molars, but they're from blueberries, not cavities. Peroxide would make the stains go away, if I swished it regularly.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Kaela Parakaleo (11-21-2014)