Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healing Basket

Thank you Marcella
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #17
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice

Can Tea tree oil be put right on the skin? if not what concentration should you use as a disinfectant spray on boo boo's? Does anyone know if it stings? Or any other ideas for a non stinging cleaning spray to spray on cuts and scrapes? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #18
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have put straight tea tree on a burn..but for an open wound or diaper rash I would dilute it with olive oil or another carrier oil.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #19
Laura1_2004

I just wanted to point out that if you child has seasonal allergies or allergies at all, you may want to exercise caution when using natural oils and products, the pollens are often found in these items which can cause a reaction in an allergic child.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #20
lavendermama

Quote:
Originally Posted by palil

Can we add some things for high fevers (my ds has been above 105 when he had the flu.. Tylenol and Advil only brought it down for an hour max) ? And also stomach distress (I have some gripe water from the herb store... )

And.. severe teething pain that keeps them up at night.. another time Tylenol is traditionally reccommended... or something for a teething child who is not interested in holding/chewing something. ??

As I've started easing into natural rememdies, I find that the fever/pain situations send me back to my "old ways" b/c nothing else seems to help.. ??

Are there natural remedies for allergies? An alternative to Benedryl? just curious. We will always keep antihistamines on hand b/c ds has at least one life-threatening allergy, but I'm thinking of the running, snotty, sneezy, itchy eyes brand that is just annoying and makes it hard to sleep.

I'll add more questions if I think of them.
I have successfully used Hylands Belladonna to control fevers. You can also use their Aconitum Napellus. All of the Hylands ones I mention are in their Hylands Kid Care Kit. For teething, both my kiddos have been terrible teethers. I have used Hylands Teething Tabs, and their Chamomilla. Their colic tabs also work for teething- I read that in Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal. I have also used Herbs for Kids Gum-o-mile (clover oil) but my kids hate the taste. However I think it probably works because when I had my wisdom teeth pulled my dentist put a potporri of herbs in my gums and they contained cloves. I have also tried whiskey wiped on the gums. And if nothing else, a brisk walk during the day and nursing all night long.

For allergies, there is Herbs for Kids Eyebright and Nettle (I think). Also if your kids are over 1yrs, or you can take it if they aren't, but consuming raw local honey should help. The brand Simliasan has some good remedies. Another all around brand to look into is NatroBio.

Stomach distress- I have found two things, Herbs for Kids Minty Ginger and St. Claires Tummy Soothers.

This is a great topic, I have a fish tackle box full of herbal tinctures and homeopathic remedies but I love seeing how other people use them too!
Old 09-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #21
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

Tummy aches - I second the Herbs for Kids Minty Ginger , peperment tea, gripe water, papaya tablets (heart burn)

Fevers - lemons work well. I put cold lemon juice on a rag and apply to forhead, or for a little one, you can soak their socks in lemon juice.

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #22
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

interesting..I hadn't heard of that...What does the lemon do?

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #23
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

not quite sure *how* it works, but the lemon helps bring the temp down. I got the idea out of my Smart Medicine for a Healthy Child book. I've also seen it done on the movie Lorenzo's Oil - their African nurse used it on him to reduce a fever. I used it on my DH one night when he had a real bad fever - seemed to really help

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote