Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Healing Basket

The Healing Basket
thank you, Jodi, for this information!

1) Lavender Oil (apply topically for Burns, smell for headaches, in bath for cold and flu)

2) Weleda Creams: Arnica Ointment (for bruises), calendula cream (for rashes and boo-boos), calendula oil (for massages for growing pains), burn care cream and wound care cream

3) Tea Tree oil (antiseptic for topical application, also in bath for cold and flu, put a drop in a cup of warm water with 1 tsp salt for a sore throat gargle.)

4) Grapefruit seed extract (for treating fungi, ringworm-dilute at least 1:4 in water or will burn skin.)

5) Rescue Remedy (from Bach Flower essences for stress and tantrums)

6) Chamomile Tea bags (wet and apply to sunburn, or steep and make soothing tea for colds, tantrums etc.) Dip baby wash cloths in tea and freeze for teething relief

7) Lemun or Apis Homeopathic (for bites)

8) Aloe Vera Gel (for sunburns)

9) Arnica pellets (take orally for wounds)

10) Red washclothes for washing up scrapes (can minimize child's stress from seeing blood on washcloth)

11)Sting Stop (for bug bites)

12)Boo Boo bunny (can be filled with ice or lavender)

13)Herbal version of 'wet wipes'

14) Yarrow leaves (the fern like leaves contain healing ES oils. The leaf can be used like a bandaid, tied around injured finger and knotted. Achillea millefolium can be planted in the garden.)

15) A bar of homemade antiseptic soap (use melt and pour glycerin base soap add a bit of tea tree oil and lavender, pour into molds. Make it with the kids.)

16) Small vial of Rock salt that has a few drops of Eucalyptus oil or peppermint, lavender or lemon ES (to sniff as a decongestant.)

17) A Eucaluptus Chest rub (for colds and coughing.)

18) Hypericum spray, salve or gel (for burns and wounds.)

19) Echinacea gummy bears(for colds and flu.)

20) Band-Aids

21) Tweezers (for splinters)

22) Clippers

23) Handkerchiefs

24) A small bundle of dried lavender (for child to hold and smell, may be tied onto handle of basket.)

25) Rosewater (as "Fairy Juice" for boo-boos that don't need any first aid, but do need love, attention and a little validation-can also be sprayed around the bed to ward off bad dreams.)

26) Fairy Dust (little tube jars of very fine glitter, sprinkle a little bit for extra magic healing power-be careful not to get in the eyes.)

27) Words for a little healing blessing or song made up by family

28) A boo-boo book and some special crayons (sheets of construction paper held together with a ring binder thing, child can draw the "story" of their boo-boo.)

29) Overtired and Cranky aromatherapy spritz (NOTE** can't find the recipe but it came from PurpleButterfly)

30) Ear dropper for inserting expressed breast milk into eyes/nose/ears

31) Herbs for Kids Echinacea blend

32) Sambucol Elderberry Syrup for Kids (wonderful stuff!)

33) Willow bark/garlic/mullein ear drops for pain

34) Activated charcoal
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to righteous mama For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (05-06-2015), gpsings (02-04-2014), mamahammer (05-12-2014), november (10-25-2012)
Old 03-15-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Epieikeia
Deactivated

Epieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to beholdEpieikeia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Healing Basket

Oh, very cool Jodi! Thank you!
Epieikeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kym's Homemade Overtired and Cranky Spritz

About 1/2 cup rosewater
3-6 drops Chamomile essential oil
3-6 drops French Lavendar essential oil
2-4 drops Sweet Orange or Tangerine essential oil
1-2 drops Clary Sage essential oil

I also make an essential oil antibacterial/viral spritz that you might be interested in:

Kym's Homemade Resistance Builder Spritz

About 1/2 cup distilled/spring water
6 drops tea tree essential oil
6 drops lavendar essential oil

The tea tree is disinfecting, and the lavendar is antibacterial as well as stimulate the immune system to produce more white blood cells.

For colds and flu, try combining distilled/spring water with essential oils of eucalyptus and douglas fir.

These are Kym's helpful spritzer recipes!
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 AM   #4
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this info Jodi
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Spirit of the Home

these are lovely ways to pamper ourselves and improve our health and moods at the same time.
Some products just make you think you are pampering yourself but they pack a mean backfire sometimes
thank you for taking the time to post these
Karmen
Old 07-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
AngelBee
Climbing Rose

AngelBee is on a distinguished road

Awesome thread! Thanks!
Angela helpmeet to Rich= Joey 20 (adpoted 3/10)Dominick 13, Abigail 11, Angelo 8, Mylee 6, Delainey 4, Colton, 2, and twin girls due July 2013! Dog Jake and Kitty Sarah Quiverful, Homeschooling family www.bixbyblabs.blogspot.com
"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid God might ask me the same questions". ~Anonymous
AngelBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Katherine

Thanks! This is a great summary for someone (like me) just starting to build a natural medicine cabinet.

Can we add some things for high fevers (my ds has been above 105 when he had the flu.. Tylenol and Advil only brought it down for an hour max) ? And also stomach distress (I have some gripe water from the herb store... )

And.. severe teething pain that keeps them up at night.. another time Tylenol is traditionally reccommended... or something for a teething child who is not interested in holding/chewing something. ??

As I've started easing into natural rememdies, I find that the fever/pain situations send me back to my "old ways" b/c nothing else seems to help.. ??

Are there natural remedies for allergies? An alternative to Benedryl? just curious. We will always keep antihistamines on hand b/c ds has at least one life-threatening allergy, but I'm thinking of the running, snotty, sneezy, itchy eyes brand that is just annoying and makes it hard to sleep.

I'll add more questions if I think of them.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
RoxanneB

Bumping hoping someone will answer Palil's questions--I want to know, too!

Roxanne
Old 08-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering too
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by palil
Thanks! This is a great summary for someone (like me) just starting to build a natural medicine cabinet.

Can we add some things for high fevers (my ds has been above 105 when he had the flu.. Tylenol and Advil only brought it down for an hour max) ? And also stomach distress (I have some gripe water from the herb store... )

And.. severe teething pain that keeps them up at night.. another time Tylenol is traditionally reccommended... or something for a teething child who is not interested in holding/chewing something. ??

As I've started easing into natural rememdies, I find that the fever/pain situations send me back to my "old ways" b/c nothing else seems to help.. ??

Are there natural remedies for allergies? An alternative to Benedryl? just curious. We will always keep antihistamines on hand b/c ds has at least one life-threatening allergy, but I'm thinking of the running, snotty, sneezy, itchy eyes brand that is just annoying and makes it hard to sleep.

I'll add more questions if I think of them.
As far as teething, I think Teething Tablets have been mentioned. I'm not sure though. That's what I have used for my kids. Sometimes I will use Ambesol(not natural, I know) and I think the HFS has some natural gum-soothing gel(with cloves, maybe?).

Stomach distress...maybe chamomile tea? peppermint tea?(just guessing there)

For my allergies this year, I have tried a drugstore-purchased herbal tablet that I would take each day, and I am currently using a homeopathic remedy that you take in drops when the symptoms start. I think the tablets actually worked better, but they are more expensive. And they didn't have the tablets in kid-friendly form, where the drops you just use less drops for kids.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
mummy2boys

For Kym's 2 spritz's.......do you just mix up and spray on your body or what??? Sorry, probably a stupid question but I went out this morning and bought a heap of the things mentioned above and want to make sure I do it right

The only problem I had was Rosewater ~ where do I get this from???? The chemist didn't seem to have it

TIA mamas
Old 08-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy2boys
For Kym's 2 spritz's.......do you just mix up and spray on your body or what??? Sorry, probably a stupid question but I went out this morning and bought a heap of the things mentioned above and want to make sure I do it right

The only problem I had was Rosewater ~ where do I get this from???? The chemist didn't seem to have it

TIA mamas
I get my Rosewater(that I use as a toner for my face) at the Health Food Store, near the EO's usually. Sometimes they have a concentrate but I haven't tried that yet. The one I get is in a plastic spray bottle with pink lettering.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
mummy2boys

Thanks Tanya....will go check out the health food store tomorrow

Sill hoping someone can help about the spritz too.....spray on body or int he air??
Old 08-31-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
mummy2boys

bump
Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
righteous mama
Rose Garden

righteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond reputerighteous mama has a reputation beyond repute

I know the overtired & cranky spritz I use in the air. I think you do that with both.
mama to farmer girl (21) princess lionheart (16), and dandelion queen (11)

~infp~

Our God is Healer, Awesome in Power!
righteous mama is offline   Reply With Quote