Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Printers - is there a cheaper way??

We use iOS devices so we need to be able to Air Print

I guess our current one is an ink jet?

I printed like forty weekly planning sheets and now I'm out of ink.

I don't do much in the way of work sheets (kids are toddler, preK and 1st grade) but need to be able to print clear concise planning & rhythm sheets for dh's sake. Plus I have one kid doing mazes and one who likes to color.

Is there a better way? Are laser printers actually more cost effective? Can they air print?

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Printers - is there a cheaper way??

We bought a black and white laser printer when our last ink jet broke. Dh insists it is more cost effective. I really like it so far. The toner is pricey, but it should last a really long time.
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dandelion For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

One trick I learned recently is to find the setting allowing for a "draft" print. It uses less ink, but looks just fine. You could try googling to find out how to do this with your printer.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's wireless printing we could feasibly have both set up and use the laser printer for black and white bulk jobs. We would just need to designate the desk space the toner is not that much more expensive than Ink.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I don't think I can set my current printer to draft quality. I can't even figure out how to change it to landscape orientation.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

We just bought an HP printer with their 'ink program' which is a set monthly fee for ink depending on how much you print. I've been pretty happy with it .

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/t...you-should.ece
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a Continuous Ink Supply (CIS) system for our printer (http://www.cisinks.com/). We pay next to nothing for ink and it lasts forever. It's important to know that it voids any warranty on the printer to install the system, AND you have to have the printer in a place in your house where the ink supply is not going to be disturbed (the ink bottles sit outside the printer). If you can handle that, it's totally worth it. I'd never go back.

I think we've bought new ink 3 times in six years! We've printed a ton: photos, wedding & graduation invitations, all of our older DD's high school & college papers, brochures & business cards for my charity organization, and all the homeschool-y things we need for DD.

There are CIS systems for a number of different printer models. It's possible that you could get one for your current printer. We have a fancy Brother printer with a copier, scanner, USB ports, and wireless capability.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (02-19-2015), Dovenoir (02-20-2015), mamajane (02-19-2015), MrsDuck (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a laser printer in November 2014. I changed the toner in the following August, so... 10 months ish later? And this is the 'display' toner that came with it, which I hear has a smaller capacity.

We print a LOT, and £40 for toner every 9-10months is a lot better than £20 for ink that lasts us 2weeks
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #8
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a laser printer last August. The toner that came with it only lasted two months, but I printed all our school schedule books and curriculum papers. The one I bought in Oct now says it has 86% left in it. I do print a lot. And I find that I'm willing to print more knowing that it won't eat up all my ink. We bought a black and white printer to save money. I go to the library if I must print in color, which is really never.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooo, something else that was useful; it continued to print to a decent quality for probably 3 months after the little pop up bubble on the computer was telling me that it was empty

Our laser printer does wireless printing, if that is the same thing as air printing? (self confessed technophobe - I still plug it in with a wire )

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

I don't actually know if it's somehow through Bluetooth or the internet connection or what. It's all a bit hocus pocus to me! My husband set it up. It's exciting to be able to find or create and print materials while laying In bed nursing the baby.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 02-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing. It's time to buy a new three-in-one here. Do cis systems come for both ink jet and laser printers? I'm thinking just for ink jet?

It sounds like a great option. I wonder how the out of pocket cost compares to laser refill when you do run out.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

MidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond reputeMidnightCafe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
Subbing. It's time to buy a new three-in-one here. Do cis systems come for both ink jet and laser printers? I'm thinking just for ink jet?

It sounds like a great option. I wonder how the out of pocket cost compares to laser refill when you do run out.
I think just ink jet, too. The website lists "Recommended Printers" for using CIS.

We paid about $40 for the system. If you buy a refill for all your ink colors at once, it's a little over $20. Otherwise, it's $6 bottle. We've bought refills TWICE in SIX years - once because we actually ran out, and once because we bought a new printer and a new CIS.

ETA: I must say, the CIS is a royal pain to install. So, just know that you're asking for a project if you decide to go with one. I don't want to make it sound all easy. It has just saved us a TON of money because we print a LOT.
The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightCafe For This Useful Post:
mamajane (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

I am not sure we have anywhere we can put the bottles.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
MidnightCafe
Rose Garden

Here's my set up. The bottles need to be higher than the cartridges, and we cover them with a bag to keep dust out. The tubes are the real liability. If someone grabs those, you'll have ink all over. We double stick tape the bottles to the box they're sitting on & also tape the box to the side of the printer.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #15
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
I don't actually know if it's somehow through Bluetooth or the internet connection or what. It's all a bit hocus pocus to me! My husband set it up. It's exciting to be able to find or create and print materials while laying In bed nursing the baby.
see and the say muggles don't have magic

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (02-19-2015)