Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
mamafulks
Seedling Rose

2-time HG survivor with 2 awesome boys as my reward

mamafulks will become famous soon enoughmamafulks will become famous soon enough
Default Possible ODD child... help!

First time poster and this isn't even about my own kiddos, I'm sorry!

I work at a day school as a teacher aide in one of the 2-year-old classes, and we have a boy in there whom I also had when he was an infant two year ago. Even back then, we suspected some sort of sensory-type issues, as he'd get so enraged that he'd pull his hair out and screech for hours - yes, at 4 months old! Now, he is two and still extremely easily irritated - literally, if we look at him and he's in a mood, we get a death glare and grunts. NO is his favorite word, of course. He's tiny and scrappy and cannot stand any of the other kiddos in the room, much less us the teachers. We looked up ODD and the description gits him to a T. Now...

1. How can we better interact with him? He doesn't like to be spoken to at all, which makes even simple, gentle instructions hard to pass along...

2. How can we address these issues with his parents? We work on a "stop light" system meaning green light = good day, yellow = rough day, red = they hit or were consistently defiant all day. We have had him on yellow and the occasional red for most of September but his parents seem to care very little.

Thank you so much for any feedback you have to offer!
mamafulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible ODD child... help!

His parents seem to care very little because there is absolutely nothing they can do about it. There is nothing they can do at home to change his feelings and his mood and his reactions. Nothing like a talking to, or a discipline trick, anyway. The red light systems tend to be extremely demoralizing to a child and his family, when these are the issues at play. They already know he never has a good day, and has no chance of having consistently green days. It's like trying to play a game where you know in advance you're always going to lose.

I would not, as a teacher, give any attention to the possibility of it being ODD. It's far too likely that the behavior you are seeing is a symptom of another problem, and not a stand alone diagnosis.

He needs to be evaluated by a developmental ped or psych. Is he receiving early intervention?
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-01-2013), Blue-EyedLady (10-29-2013), Chaos Coordinator (09-30-2013), gpsings (10-01-2013), Johns_Gal (10-01-2013), lalaithnil (09-30-2013), Llee (09-30-2013), Luciola (09-30-2013), magpiedpiper (10-01-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013), ReedleBeetle (09-30-2013), Starfox (10-01-2013), sweetpeasmommy (10-01-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

op, are you looking for ways to approach him since he's hostile to verbal instructions? how can we guide you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Dovenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

My son was just like that. I had to quit my job, because he could not function in a group setting, and we knew it right away, when he was an infant.

Treating the underlying cause, like is he in constant pain he doesn't even know to tell you about because it's his normal? Does he have autism? Is he actually healthy, or is he small because physically something is wrong? is what likely needs to happen.

Not liking to be spoken to at all is such a heartbreaking symptom, along with all the daily hours of scream crying as a four month old. That kind of crying causes measurable brain damage. No child does it to themselves out of having a temper or a personality issue.

This is a doctor level issue, not daycare level. On a daycare level, the best you can do is compassionately point out that his behavior is significantly different from the norm, and requires evaluation by a professional to move forward, and compassionately care for him until he gets that help.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-01-2013), cbmk4 (10-01-2013), gpsings (10-01-2013), lalaithnil (09-30-2013), Llee (10-01-2013), Luciola (09-30-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013), Starfox (10-01-2013), sweetpeasmommy (10-01-2013), TenderLovingWillow (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Luciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond repute

If he is not already receiving services, can you put a referral in? In my state, anyone can make the referral and (if parents are willing) the state must provide the eval w/in 45 days.

I agree - the red light system is not going to show any positive changes for this child. I don't love them at any age but particularly not at two with a child who has been on red or yellow for the better part of a month.

Last edited by Luciola; 10-29-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Luciola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luciola For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (10-01-2013), Llee (10-01-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

He's two. He's a baby. My two year old doesn't do squat the first time he's asked and he's constantly putting the smack down on his older brother too. And as a parent, when developmentally normal behavior is reported to me as a problem I don't put much stock in it.

HOWEVER - and this is a big however - my older son is also different. I knew intuitively from infancy that he was not like other children. And I could never put my finger on exactly how. He cried a ton as an infant. He played differently but I could not explain how (and still struggle to put words to it, but I have a background in child development and preschool teaching and just knew somehow that it wasnt "healthy play" but abnormal) He is also gifted and therefore did not qualify for services. As a parent, my first lines of defense have been learning OT techniques used for SPD and implementing them at home, and an elimination type diet which includes not only food but also special cosmetics, supplements, art supplies and even clothing as he is allergic to latex (spandex) and rubber. He is even discouraged from touching the tires of his bike, the walls which are covered in latex paint, some of his toys have to be checked carefully or taped over, etc. the world in general is not a safe place for him due to his rubber allergy. Play areas have rubber mats, even our church playground has recycled tire chips instead of wood chips. I cannot make it perfectly friendly but I can cover as many bases as humanly possible and it is not by any means a simple undertaking but it has turned him into a different child.

But what can you do as his teacher? You can't implement dietary changes like that obviously. You can learn therapy techniques though, and implement them. You can also read books about parenting hurting children. Start with The Out of Sync Child, Beyond Logic Consequences and Control, and oh I think the other one I'm thinking of is called The Connected Child. Also look up and absorb as much as you possibly can about the work of Dr Karyn Purvis. Also check out YouTube videos by Christine Moers, she's outstanding.

Eta: yes the book is called The Connected Child and Dr Purvis is actually one of the authors listed.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Last edited by Chaos Coordinator; 09-30-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (09-30-2013), lalaithnil (09-30-2013), Llee (10-01-2013), Luciola (09-30-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013), Rabbit (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

what would that compassionate care in the meantime look like to you?
Posted via Mobile Device
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovenoir For This Useful Post:
Luciola (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
TenderLovingWillow
Rose Garden

TenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond reputeTenderLovingWillow has a reputation beyond repute

*Mom to Four Munchkins
*Birth Doula
*Childbirth Educator
*Babywearing Educator
*Vegetarian

Last edited by TenderLovingWillow; 09-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.
TenderLovingWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Do not for one second assume a parent who appears disinterested is actually disinterested. Not for one second. Parents love their children. This is an OVERWHELMING issue to parent, and there are no mainstream, easily accessible answers. Most advice handed out over the counter is destructive to such children. The safest face in public is one that is closed and emotionless to people who do not deeply love and are not deeply in relationship with these parents, who aren't there in these people's lives on days they're not paid to be there.

Compassionate care means keeping him safe, fed, clean and keeping him as calm as his calm gets, while enforcing basic boundaries so that everybody else is also safe and fed and clean. Chaos Coordinator's book list is fantastic for figuring out how to do that.

In the end, school may not be a good fit for him, at 2 years old.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (09-30-2013), duckwithoneleg (09-30-2013), Llee (10-01-2013), Luciola (09-30-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013), ReedleBeetle (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Luciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond reputeLuciola has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Rabbit for saying that so much better than I could.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Luciola; 10-29-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

By therapy techniques I mean it may be things like rolling a knobby ball on his arms and legs for him, encouraging him to press his feet against your hands (joint compression) show him how to build a fort of blankets for a little sensory reprieve, give him a squish box - a laundry basket full of pillows will work and be easy to set up.

Look up and follow Angie Voss on Pinterest and/or Facebook. We also use weighted pads and blankets. I'm trying to think of other examples but they have become so commonplace in our home that I don't notice them anymore a bilibo, a balance board, tons of squish games (my son likes to lay under the sofa cushions and have us sit "on the couch")

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
mamafulks (10-01-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Luciola
Rose Trellis

iNFp Type 2/1

Just to add to that list - heavy work - my DD loves to fill up tubs and push them around. Chewy toys and things to squeeze have made a BIG difference around here.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Luciola; 10-29-2013 at 09:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luciola For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (09-30-2013), mamafulks (10-01-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

The laundry basket could serve double as an opportunity for heavy work. Fill it up with books and have him push it across the classroom. See If it helps.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Not all therapy techniques are legal/insurance issues appropriate for non-trained school personnel. I could not touch a child outside of an emergency, or ask them to move heavy things.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

I'm not sure the limits are quite the same for daycare or preschool. but I could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device