Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There’s a wasp in my closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
If it were me, my first plan of attack would be to shut the door and not re-open it until dh came home, found, and killed it.

Were that to fail, my next plan of attack would be to arm myself with a plugged in and turned on vacuum cleaner -- holding the extended arm in front of me while I VERY cautiously opened the door and pointed my weapon in all directions until I found it..... If succesful I'd put the whole machine outside afterwards and tell dh to empty the cannister.

Last ditch effort, if you still cannot find it.... I'd try the trap method....

You and I think alike.

He got home and I warned him of our unwelcome closet guest. I also warned him I would be wearing only clothes from
the dresser until the wasp is dead.

He didn’t find it either when he opened the closet, so it seems like the wasp is toying with us and needs to be drawn out from
his (or her, I guess) new lair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Lunch meat is perfect for luring a wasp
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post
How about a tiny bowl of honey or beer to draw him out?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Yes! This

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 PM   #19
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

It might have gone back out the way it came, and thus be gone already.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-09-2019), MaySunflowers (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:33 AM   #20
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post

It might have.

It might also be hiding in my clothes ready to attack me. So... I’d rather try to draw it out and kill it.

I’m not scared of much, but bees and wasps really do bother me a lot.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #21
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Yeah...maybe it couldn't handle all the screaming or is waiting for the fire (I envision a wasp flying around the brunt debris of a house going 'well, that's inconvinant, but I can still work with this ' )

I tease, but I'd freak out in the same situation.

You mentioned upstairs.... I had a friend who had fire ants get into her baby's crib on the second floor of her house. Speculation is that they came in for some access to moisture since we were in dry heat wave.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-13-2019), Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #22
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
Yeah...maybe it couldn't handle all the screaming or is waiting for the fire (I envision a wasp flying around the brunt debris of a house going 'well, that's inconvinant, but I can still work with this ' )

I tease, but I'd freak out in the same situation.

You mentioned upstairs.... I had a friend who had fire ants get into her baby's crib on the second floor of her house. Speculation is that they came in for some access to moisture since we were in dry heat wave.

Oh my goodness...fire ants in her baby’s crib?! That is terrifying to me. Poor baby!!

Me.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (07-13-2019), twoplustwo (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Virginia
Rose Garden

Breaking news:

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (07-09-2019), ECingMama (07-09-2019), FlyingBlueKiwi (07-09-2019), knitlove (07-09-2019), Llee (07-13-2019), Quiteria (07-09-2019), Singingmom (07-13-2019), twoplustwo (07-09-2019), ViolaMum (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #24
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Phew!
Glad you found it!

We had a wasp nest in our basement crawlspace. A few got into the main part of the house. They were a bit annoying on the back porch.

I let them stay. Finally, after a couple of years, I got a bit annoyed. Will, google says they move after 3 years.

They did! Never came back.

Lol
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-13-2019), Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #25
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

now we need the details on the removal process!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #26
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #27
Virginia
Rose Garden

Ok, so...here is the tale of how I finally overcame this little monster.

I decided to wear a dress today because it was hot, which meant I had to go in the closet. DD came in there with me. I cautiously thumbed through my dresses, eyes darting about looking for any sign of the menacing creature.

And then I saw him.

Perched on the top shelf of my closet on top of a crate of maternity clothes, gloating at me.

I calmly ushered DD from the closet, to which she responded by screaming “MAMA NOOOOO” and banging on the closed closet door. I grabbed the can of hairspray that I had left in my closet, picked up one of my shoes from the closet floor, and unleashed a torrent of hairspray for (I am not exaggerating) a full 45-60 seconds. Maybe longer. I need more hairspray now.

I will now have to wash all the maternity clothes that were in that crate. They’re all covered in hairspray.

I pulled the top item of clothing from the crate down to the floor and shook it (heart pounding... I was seriously ready for the wasp to fly straight at me). The wasp fell to the floor, crawling slowly and pitifully.

DD was still screaming at me from outside the closet.

I slid a green plastic folder under the wasp, smashed him with my wedge sandal, and stood on top of him for way longer than necessary.

RIP wasp. He went down our toilet, never to be seen again, and I hope he has NO little friends living in our attic or elsewhere. I don’t want this to become a regular thing in my home

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-11-2019), CelticJourney (07-09-2019), charla (07-09-2019), ECingMama (07-09-2019), Llee (07-13-2019), Quiteria (07-09-2019), Singingmom (07-13-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #28
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

You go, girl!!

(And perhaps you should caulk any little hidey holes or passages in your closet?!)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-09-2019), Quiteria (07-09-2019), Virginia (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #29
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
You go, girl!!

(And perhaps you should caulk any little hidey holes or passages in your closet?!)

Yes!! I’m going to ask DH to look at the door (in the ceiling) that leads to the attic (where we never go...). I suspect that’s how the wasp got in.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #30
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Great story! I feel kinda bad that I pretty much ignore them.

However, we have seen a few black widow webs. Which means there are thousands of them. Shudder. I killed one that was on my ski. It ran and got in the baby's stroller!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-13-2019)