Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold
Default St. John's Wort for kids?

My 6-yr DD (autistic) has been having trouble with sleep and lately has started with raging. Someone suggested a possible Oppositional Defiant disorder - so I googled it with alternative dxs. Anyway, low serotonin could be a contributing factor - which makes so much sense. (and it looks like autism and low serotonin could be a common link - that's another post).

So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with serotonin/St. John's Wort with their kids? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks
hbmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St. John's Wort for kids?

I read something recently that one herb had been shown to be effective against depression/anxiety in a study but St John's wort hadn't.... but can't remember where.... or what the other herb was
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable using it with C. He's also 6 and has a PDD dx. We have used homeopathic serotonin though.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

my 6yo ASD daughter has the same troubles...no sleep and bad raging
Hmm...I wouldn't have thought of St. John's Wort!
I'm going to look into that.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

and Amy, where do you find homeopathic serotonin?
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I got it from my chiro. But you can google homeopathic serotonin and order it online.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
blessedmamaofmany
Deactivated

I love my life.

blessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond reputeblessedmamaofmany has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.naturessunshine.com/us/pr.../sku-3163.aspx

Ok. I asked a trusted family friend and expert...and she gave me some of this. It's awesome already! Most of our supplements are from NS and the products are great!
blessedmamaofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedmamaofmany For This Useful Post:
hbmamma (11-11-2010)
Old 11-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

i wasnt comfortable using it with my littles. getting lots of sun is key and with stjohns wort, if i remember right, that was one reason i passed. you could also try a fish oil that has evening primrose oil or holy basil. I highly recommend those two when it comes to controling rages. or you could do the oil along with tulsi tea(which is the tea for holy basil). Im sure you already doing this but of course making sure no dyes sneak into his food. none whatsoever!
food grade diatomaceous earth is a wonderful sleep aid if you wanted to go the mineral route.
me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to me For This Useful Post:
sweetpeasmommy (11-13-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
hbmamma
Deactivated

hbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to beholdhbmamma is a splendid one to behold

Over the summer she was outside and I think that's why we didn't see it as strongly as we do now... (I'm in Maine, sun isn't as strong nor is it was warm as she prefers)...

Oh yeah, I really try to keep her away from any processed foods... nasty stuff they add...

I wish I knew more about natural treatments/herbs/minerals... any book suggestions?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Medicine...9838467&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Special-Needs-...9838518&sr=8-7
This is an awesome resource as it gives suggestions and dosages by symptom. So if you are dealing with anxiety, it gives doses of fish oil, holy basil and others you might try. Also the Dr Sears Autism book is similar, but more focused on biomedical treatments.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997

Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
hbmamma
Deactivated

Thanks! I found them pretty cheap on the used section... can't wait to read them
I have Dr. Sears' ADD book (for other DD) - but will look into the Autism book
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

The Dr Sears Autism book is really good. Also this book is excellent regarding supplements and doses.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997