Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 PM   #46
Chris3jam

Default Re: Death linked to Pearls' advice--sensitive

Would you momma's please help me? Could you read this and tell me if I should send this? Suggestions? Critiques? Addition? Subtractions? Do you mind?

Quote:
I just read the story of the little boy that died at the hands of his adoptive mother. And I felt the need to write to you and tell you a just a bit of my story. See, that could have been me.

My heart breaks for that family. And my heart breaks for the mother, who was just trying to “do right” by her children. The mother who thought she was doing what God has commanded all parents. Again, that could have been me. You see, when a person starts seeking help, they open themselves up to much advice, both sound and unsound. Being in such a state of helplessness, we don’t always have the capacity to be able to judge which is which. Obviously, this mother was having some problems with which she did not know how to deal. Just like me. And she turned to a man who calls himself Christian, and who claims to know God’s word and His heart. And she believed. Just like I did. This man claims that the Word of God commands parents to whip their children and to make them obey. And I believed. . .again, just like this mother. What is there not to believe? This man is gracious and courteous and charismatic. He claims to know the Word of God. He is eminently believable, with his promises of a peaceful home and happy, obedient children. In short, he has all the trappings of a cult leader.

Fortunately, I was able to break free from this cult-like thinking. Without going into an indepth exegesis of the Bible, let me just say that upon further study of the Scripture, I also found that nowhere are parents commanded to hit their children. In fact, we are exhorted to do otherwise. . .to love for, care for, consider as blessings, protect, and disciple our children.

Setting religion aside for a moment, though, I sincerely hope that this news article has finally captured enough people’s attention to warrant a thorough investigation into and to inform the public about the danger of this cult’s activities and distribution of information and advice. I fear there are many, many more cases like this, and I fear that there are many more families at risk in believing the lies and advice that this cult spreads. I do believe that, finally, this needs to come to light. Like the activities of David Karesh, I believe that this must be brought to light now. . .before more tragedy occurs.
And, of course, I'll sign it.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:58 PM   #47
hiddenhippie6

Thanks !!! I just sent this to everyone I know who ever read their stuff.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #48
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Your letter sounds fine.

Everyone who decides to write to Mandy...please do not copy another letter posted. Make your letter personal, add new insights about GDB, give just a little bit more info than the other person or another aspect of GBD that hasn't been touched yet. Maybe if we all post our letters, that way we can see what the others have written so we don't repeat or that we can say something similar but use different wordings, etc.

You all encourage me with your letters to Mandy. Let's keep writing.

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
Old 03-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #49
BluegrassMama
Climbing Rose

BluegrassMama will become famous soon enoughBluegrassMama will become famous soon enough

Chris, I think it is really good. I think that particular reporter has been placed in the situation by God Himself---someone on MDC was interviewed by her for the story and said she really cared and was careful to get things straight. (I think the reporter found the MDC mama thru stoptherod.net)

Anyway your perspective is so important and relavent.

Isn't it Koresh, not Karesh?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #50
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, Chris. Palil, that's a great idea!

Tulipgirl,I have been thinking about that "Avoiding Millstones" article all afternoon since reading this. Those of you who are putting the link to that article up on websites might want to pair it with a link to that article.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #51
BluegrassMama
Climbing Rose

BluegrassMama will become famous soon enoughBluegrassMama will become famous soon enough

Pearls' website appears to be down.

nope, must have just been heavy traffic.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #52
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

It's still down for me.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:05 PM   #53
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

the site is up now (1205 am EST)
Old 03-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #54
BluegrassMama
Climbing Rose

I can still load it

Do we have any other ideas beyond contacting the reporter? Would John Stossel be interested?

I was thinking that it may be time for those of us who are really quiet about GBD to come out of the woodshed (so to speak). Get ready for the backlash from family, friends, and churches, and speak out against religious violence toward children.

Advocacy wear for our dc, speaking up in churches, calling pastors on crass joking about it, learning to bring it up in conversations.

Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #55
DogwoodMama
Deactivated

DogwoodMama is on a distinguished road

ahhh, had .com instead of .org.

I don't live in an area where I know anyone who parents like this, but I would support mama's speaking up more, and would speak up if I had the chance!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #56
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's around here - but I avoid "those" people like the plague. I find them to be quite overwhelming and with abuse in my past, it hurts my heart more than I can bare. I wish there was a way to be more of an advocate against religous violence in a positive way -

I would dress my child in positive advocacy wear and would appreciate ways to address issues in a positive manner.

I like the bumper sticker that says "People are not for hitting and Children are People"
I would purchase a similar bumper sticker that had a Christian Message in it.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #57
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Not certain about contacting John Stossel, though he might be okay. I know DH and I both watch "MNSBC Investigates" whenever we can. It comes on MNSBC on cable on Friday nights. But, "20/20" comes on regular channels on Fridays and "60 Minutes" (does it come on anymore?). Or we could get in touch with "Montel Williams" (he better than some of the other daytime talk shows, besides he's a retired Marine).

If we could just get one of the major networks to do an investigative report on this...........

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #58
purplerose

Old 03-17-2006, 06:18 AM   #59
Knitted_in_the_womb

In the interest of fairness, I will point out that this child did not die from being whipped, he died from being rolled tightly in a blanket. I assume he suffocated. The Pearls don't advocate this anywhere that I've ever read.

Now I do think their teaching creates an adversarial environment where this kind of thing is more likely to happen than in an environment where positive discipline is encouraged...

As for parents being "queasy" about hitting their kids...that certainly doesn't apply to me! There are times when it takes every ounce of self control that I have NOT to hit my kids. On the few occassions that I have hit them, I have been struck with instant remorse and guilt--not "queasiness."

Jenn

Old 03-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #60
Knitted_in_the_womb

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind
You know, what I would want to point out to someone who finds it convincing that Michael Pearl always whacked himself before using the switch on a child (as described in the last paragraph of the article) is that it's NOT the individual whacks that are so dangerous to parents and children. It's the teaching that parents continue to switch and repeatedly switch until they achieve complete rulership over the child. It's the anger that rises up in parents as they start to feel that their child is bucking the regime, and the tool they have is to spank the child into submission.
Yeah...anyone here familiar with "chicken scratches?" They were popular when I was in elementary school.

Basically what it was was scratching yourself until you had an open wound on the back of your hand. You were supposed to scratch across your hand 100 or 200 times--I forget (I never did it, but a friend of mine did) to prove that you weren't a "chicken." You didn't scratch very hard--just hard enough that it would leave a quick blanching of the skin as you went across once. But after you've done it repeatedly, the skin tears under the repeated assault.

Spanking is the same way. One swat may not be "that bad," but when you pile them up, one after another, bruising and serious injury occurrs. One mom I know regularly spanked her kids until they were bruised until one day when she fell down her stairs and ended up with a bruised behind herself. Her parents had never spanked her to bruising, and she just hadn't realized how much it HURT to have a bruised behind. She was spanking that hard because it was what she learned in church.

Jenn

Closed Thread