Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #121
purstrength
Rose Garden

purstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud ofpurstrength has much to be proud of
Default Re: Talk to me about coconut oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama
But anyways, I digress . .. . .

Kat, I think Luke is allergic to coconut oil. I have our whole family off of it for a month (started this week when his rash flared up bad after getting coconut oil smeared on it) Then I'll add it back and see if that's the problem. Hope it works for you!! Is coconut in a lot of stuff? I have yet to read my labels.
It doesn't seem to be in too many things, but I'm just sensitive, so I haven't worried if I ate a little, I just don't eat more than a couple bites of something. I don't seem to have the problems I used to, but I'm a little put off by the taste.

Remembering Mary
purstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #122
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Living and Loving..Against the Stream

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hope
Do I need to go back and read through all of this to find information on Tropical Traditions? There is a coop in the area that sells expeller pressed coconut oil. As a result, I was researching "expeller pressed" and ran across this link: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/epco.htm

The organic gallon of coconut oil is $45. The non-organic is $26.50. Considering I'm paying around 12 dollars for my small bottle of nutiva, it might be worth it to at least buy the one that is not certified organic. Or spring for the certified organic. But at any rate, I don't want to buy either if the conclusion was that Tropical Traditions is ucky.

Bleh.

Anyone know?

Do I really have to go read 6 pages all over again?
I agree with Jen...TT is GROSS I just threw out two large jars before the baby was born...I could not get it down and did not like the way it baked up in dishes. I could never think of using it on toast or popcorn...bleh! I bought it to take it by the spoonful and I LOVE coconut so I was really disappointed that it had NO coconut taste at all.... so if you want it just for cooking or if you don't want any coconut flavor...then TT might be a good option.

I have been going without for a few months trying to decide which brand to get...I just ordered the Nutiva from VitaCost...it's on sale WAY cheap Thanks Rachael for posting the link

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)
My Little Loves:לוחם (Warrior 2001) ~ אוֹמֶץ (Heart 2005) ~ אש (Fire 2007)

My Photography Blog:Red Door Photography
My Natural Living Page:Against the Stream
Ima LeShalosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #123
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

$20.19 is there normal price for the 54oz. Which one did you buy? I can get it at my health food store for $24 or so..which is about the same as vitacost with the shipping unless I am ordering more stuff. (I forgot to get it on my order last week grr)

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #124
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Ima LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond reputeIma LeShalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I got the 29oz for 10.91 Our local HFS is 19.51 for that little of a jar

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #125
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

eek

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #126
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Yeah I have nooooo idea why I never thought to go buy it online It's just one of those thing you don't think about having shipped to you I guess

I can't wait for it to get here...based on all I ready from you ladies I am hoping it will taste as good as I was *expecting* the TT CO to taste! I absolutely love coconut...I would have to say it is one of my most favorite smells and tastes My hubby despises it...I wonder if he has an allergy to it

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #127
made4more
Rose Garden

made4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond reputemade4more has a reputation beyond repute

i love coconut too! this might be a not so guilty pleasure. In more ways than 1 iykwim.

made4more is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to made4more For This Useful Post:
november (08-03-2010)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #128
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

I called DH at work and told him that I bought more CO...he made a gagging noise..then I told him it was a great natural lubricant....his response "did you overnight express it"

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #129
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i think dh has association issues when i pull out my kitchen jar to take a spoonful, poor guy...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #130
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
yeah, i think dh has association issues when i pull out my kitchen jar to take a spoonful, poor guy...
Oh my goodness, mine does too! It's gooood stuff!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #131
Ima LeShalosh
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymum
Oh my goodness, mine does too! It's gooood stuff!
I am so visual and am picturing DH having to run outta the room when I pull it out when company comes for dinner

My Love:
דודי (my Beloved)

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #132
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #133
krysmh
Climbing Rose

krysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nicekrysmh is just really nice

I've heard it can be used for lube, but I'm a chicken. Is it really truly safe?

I bake and cook with EVCO a lot, but have never just whipped out a spoon and gone to town. I want to eat it more so I can get some more good fats in me (trying to gain weight... hoping it won't have the opposite effect, but it's extra calories, so it shouldn't... I hope...) I've read about people having digestive distress from eating it that way or in smoothies. I have a sensitive stomach. Anyone have issues like this? I'd probably blend it into a homemade "ensure" type drink with rice milk, protein powder, maybe some cocoa powder or fruit, etc.

Do you think that would be a good idea?

Wife to Dustin 11/2000
Mama to sweet little Isaiah 8/2010, and Princess Karina 4/2012
These three are my world

Where I record my thoughts: http://www.songofhersoul.com
krysmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 AM   #134
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison In TX
OT:

I used the oil as a moisturizer over my whole body after my bath today, including on my face. WOW. It was not greasy, it soaked in beautifully and it made all my skin so soft. Normally I can't use a moisturizer on my legs after I shave because it will get in the follicle and cause pain at every little point and I'll have what looks like a massive heat rash everywhere i put the moisturizer, no matter how "all natural" it is, but the oil didn't do that.
Good to know! That is the #1 reason I have hairy legs.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #135
Katydid
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Katydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond reputeKatydid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysmh

I've heard it can be used for lube, but I'm a chicken. Is it really truly safe?

[quote=krysmh ]

I figure, if it's safe enough to eat, it's safe enough to put into any part of your body. I feel much safer using it than some petroleum-based product.