Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #16
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: February's Dinners

It's been a rough week here; I haven't been able to do much cooking :/

Monday - a friend brought us chili, cornbread and salad
Tuesday - leftover taco stuff/DH made quesadillas for the boys
Wed - those delicious ham and cheese sliders with the goop on them...I'll dig up a recipe if anyone is unfamiliar...they're stupid good. Had some Hawaiian rolls leftover in the freezer that I needed to use up. Boys had plain grilled ham & cheese since they don't like the goop
Thurs - DH grilled fish and salmon and made twice-baked potatoes; I was able to put together roasted broccoli
tonight - ?? We have chile verde in the freezer that's coming up on a year old so maybe DH and I will use that up and the boys can have boxed mac & cheese. I have a box of Annie's that was the Free Friday Download at Kroger a few weeks ago.
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for schmamy:
charla (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #17
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmamy View Post
Wed - those delicious ham and cheese sliders with the goop on them...I'll dig up a recipe if anyone is unfamiliar...they're stupid good.

I have a box of Annie's that was the Free Friday Download at Kroger a few weeks ago.
I have no clue what goop you are referring to. I'd love the recipe in case we decide we'd be interested in goop for dinner.

I also have that free box of Annie's! Haven't used it yet... 4/6 of my family is gluten free so cooking gluten is a rare event... But for free, I'll do it as a side for the two gluten eaters one day.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #18
schmamy
Rose Garden

schmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond reputeschmamy has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bunch of different variations floating around, but it's essentially this:

http://www.today.com/recipes/siri-da...recipe-t105987

My recipe also has minced dried onion in the goop, but it's pretty close. Also we don't use Swiss cheese--usually we use cheddar + mozzarella.

SO DELICIOUS. Perfect for appetizers/snacks, or a brunch. Or dinner, as was the case for us this week

DH decided he was hungry for breakfast for dinner tonight. I had leeks + ham cut up in the freezer for that purpose, so he threw together my leek, ham & cheese egg bake (Smitten Kitchen recipe, if you're interested--it's delicious) and made a triple batch of oatmeal pancakes. I'll flash freeze all the extras and that will make a great easy breakfast for my boys after baby comes. Have I mentioned what a hero DH is?
DS2 - 2010
DD - April 2017

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Corinthians 12:9
schmamy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schmamy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-11-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:03 PM   #19
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

I made steak with sauteed mushrooms and blue cheese, au gratin potatoes, lemony asparagus, mixed greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette. For dessert, dd made chocolate-covered strawberries with both dark and white chocolate.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #20
Laurlor
Rose Trellis

Laurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond reputeLaurlor has a reputation beyond repute

I made heart-shaped raviolis (from Costco) in a pink Alfredo sauce, sautéed greens with onions and bacon, cheese and garlic pull apart bread, and we are making Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cakes with vanilla ice cream for dessert.
DD1 (24), married to my dearly loved son-in-law
DD2 (22)
DS (19)
Laurlor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurlor For This Useful Post:
charla (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I made chicken and rice in gravy with green beans.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #22
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
I made chicken and rice in gravy with green beans.
That sounds so delicious. How do you make it?

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #23
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Another round of bone broth turned in to chicken veggie soup here. So much sickness is going around our local area right now! Gotta keep these immune systems ready for battle!
Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 PM   #24
Singingmom
Administrator

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
That sounds so delicious. How do you make it?
I started with about a T. of olive oil in a large skillet, then added about 2 T. of brown rice flour and stirred, like you're making a white sauce. I added salt, pepper, and at this point decided on 1 t. of curry, 1 t. of dry mustard, 1 t. of dried oregano, and 1 T of honey. (You could leave those last four things out to make a simpler gravy, but it turned out to be a flavor everyone liked.) Then add about 3 cups of chicken stock, a little at a time until you've whisked all the lumps out. Here I added about 1/2 c. full fat coconut milk. Let it simmer and thicken a bit, then add chicken. (I added two packages of fresh chicken tenders...the gravy was almost covering the chicken.) Cover and cook until chicken is about half done, then add [15 min. Jasmine] rice (1 1/2 c.) and more stock (about 2 c?). You want to have enough stock for the rice to absorb with plenty left to keep the gravy there. Err on the side of adding too much stock. Cook until rice is done. Taste to see if you need more salt.

I've done it other ways like cooking the chicken or rice separately and pouring the gravy over the top of it all. You can't really mess it up...in the end you'll have some combination of chicken, rice, and gravy. Comfort food to me.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-16-2017), charla (02-15-2017), Dovenoir (02-24-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #25
charla
Administrator

Gf spaghetti, tossed salad

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 AM   #26
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
I started with about a T. of olive oil in a large skillet, then added about 2 T. of brown rice flour and stirred, like you're making a white sauce. I added salt, pepper, and at this point decided on 1 t. of curry, 1 t. of dry mustard, 1 t. of dried oregano, and 1 T of honey. (You could leave those last four things out to make a simpler gravy, but it turned out to be a flavor everyone liked.) Then add about 3 cups of chicken stock, a little at a time until you've whisked all the lumps out. Here I added about 1/2 c. full fat coconut milk. Let it simmer and thicken a bit, then add chicken. (I added two packages of fresh chicken tenders...the gravy was almost covering the chicken.) Cover and cook until chicken is about half done, then add [15 min. Jasmine] rice (1 1/2 c.) and more stock (about 2 c?). You want to have enough stock for the rice to absorb with plenty left to keep the gravy there. Err on the side of adding too much stock. Cook until rice is done. Taste to see if you need more salt.

I've done it other ways like cooking the chicken or rice separately and pouring the gravy over the top of it all. You can't really mess it up...in the end you'll have some combination of chicken, rice, and gravy. Comfort food to me.
Ok, this is precisely the sort of thing I used to make back in my "cream of consensed soup" days that my kids LOVED! I will have to make this! All natural, from scratch and something that they'll rave over.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Singingmom (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #27
Singingmom
Administrator

It does make a good casserole type dish if you add your veggies right in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-16-2017), charla (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:09 PM   #28
Singingmom
Administrator

Shepherd's Pie and Calico Beans

Two meals since I'm leaving town for a week with dd and need to leave some good leftovers for my guys.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #29
charla
Administrator

Shrimp tacos with romaine, pico de gallo, guacamole, lime sour cream, corn tortillas and Mexican rice and cilantro and lime black beans on the side.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 02-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #30
2sunshines

Yesterday we had spaghetti and meatballs. I made and froze several batches of tomato pasta sauce from my summer garden tomatoes. So awesome to just pulled homegrown goodness from my freezer for dinner.

Served over sauteed zucchini noodles.