Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 06-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future
Default Best AP book for new mom?

Hi all,
My son’s teacher (whom we ADORE) is having her first baby next year. I’ve formed a nice relationship with her (she came Oder for dinner last week of school, and asked if we could keep in touch, said she’d be coming to me for parenting advice because she loves how I seem to enjoy moments with my kids, which made me feel really good!)

Anyways, we want to get her a little gift. I am thinking I’ll get her a Nose Frida snot sucker bc I think that’s an amazing practical gift, but I also thought about getting her a book and muslin baby blanket too. (I thought about a wrap, like a Moby, but that feels like something maybe she’ll want to pick? I don’t know.)

So here’s my question: my favorite AP-ish book for believers is Spirit-Led Parenting or the Dr Sears one (forgetting title but it’s an older one written specifically for Christians).

I don’t think his teacher is a Christian. So, what AP book would you recommend? What are some of your favorites for non-Christians?

Married to the Haitian Sensation since 2007
Mom to S, DS since October 2009

and

E, DD born February 22nd, 2016

KSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best AP book for new mom?

Dr Sears— the baby book

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-10-2018), KSL (06-09-2018), tazmom (06-10-2018), Virginia (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I really like The Baby Book by Sears. It covers so many things, not just AP. It's pro-vaccine but not shaming to people who choose to delay or decline, IIRC. (It's been a long time since I read it but I've given it as a gift many times.)

It's also mainstream enough (written by a highly lettered pediatrician and his RN wife who had 8 children) that it can be used to help shush nosy people who try to tell you otherwise. "A pediatrician recommended that I not let my baby CIO," is much more effective than, "this book I read said . . . "
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-10-2018), KSL (06-09-2018), Virginia (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to recommend anything Dr. Sears— baby book or sleep book are my two faves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
KSL (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
KSL
Rose Bouquet

KSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant futureKSL has a brilliant future

I have the Baby Book and also loved it (I think I forgot about it because I loved the Christian version so much as it was a direct reply to the Babywise nonsense which sooooo many evangelicals had recommended to me).

Thank you ladies! I’ll order that one.

I really hope she asks me to come over and hold her baby so she can shower, etc. I love other people’s newborns and helping new moms so much because that was such a rough time for me.

and

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (06-10-2018), Virginia (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

I usually give 'The Wonder Weeks' and 'The Baby Book' by Dr. Sears. I also like 'Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby’s First Year' by Megan Tietz and Laura Oyer.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
KSL (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSL View Post
I have the Baby Book and also loved it (I think I forgot about it because I loved the Christian version so much as it was a direct reply to the Babywise nonsense which sooooo many evangelicals had recommended to me).

Thank you ladies! I’ll order that one.

I really hope she asks me to come over and hold her baby so she can shower, etc. I love other people’s newborns and helping new moms so much because that was such a rough time for me.

Could you put the offer out there and let her know you’d love to help on a tangible way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
KSL (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
KSL
Rose Bouquet

@Virginia— I’ve told her that I would love to come hold the baby so she can shower or nap or anything. And that I’d like to bring her a meal. I’m going to make the offer again at least three times after she has baby so she knows I really mean it!! : she also
Told me on last day of school she’s really hoping we invite her over again so her husband can come (he had had dental surgery and couldn’t come the day we had her over)

@lee— Spirit Led Parenting is my favorite book for new parents who are believers too! I’m about to order that one for another friend of mine who’s having her first baby. I contributed a story about babywise that made it from GCM (with my permission of course) into Spirit Led Parenting.

and

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSL For This Useful Post:
lavenlove (07-01-2018), Llee (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 AM   #9
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

It's out of print now, but still available - Born Dancing: How Intuitive Parents Understand Their Baby's Unspoken Language and Natural Rhythms
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
KSL (06-11-2018)