Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #91
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant pot!

I'm still watching and lurking. I missed the entire sale We have been pressure cooking a long time so I'm trying to figure out why an instant pot is a good next move. I need a medium sized pressure cooker though and so I'm pondering.

Can someone tell me the quart capacity. I use my small pressure cooker daily and find myself wanting a second. For example, when I make beef n broccoli, I have beef n broccoli in the pressure cooker and miss pressure cooking my rice

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #92
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

It's available in different sizes. 5 qt, 6 qt or 8 qt.

The one that was in sale on prime day was 6 qt
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-17-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #93
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 quart 6 in one is $69 today. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...words=instapot

I regretted forgetting to order on Prime day so I think I'm going to take the plunge.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-10-2016), Llee (08-10-2016), TraceMama (11-24-2017)
Old 08-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #94
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeasmommy View Post
The 6 quart 6 in one is $69 today. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...words=instapot

I regretted forgetting to order on Prime day so I think I'm going to take the plunge.

Mine is showing up as $99 still, weird. I still haven't bought one of these. I am intrigued but we loathe crock pot food and I am afraid it will be too much like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #95
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Mine is showing up as $99 still, weird. I still haven't bought one of these. I am intrigued but we loathe crock pot food and I am afraid it will be too much like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, that deal was yesterday only.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (08-11-2016)
Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #96
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Yea, that deal was yesterday only.
It didn't show up as a deal for me yesterday. I was going to buy one for a gift.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #97
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

Jumping in late here. I got it in the sale and here's why I like it (vs. the regular crockpot which we rarely use):

1. I can saute in the instant pot before pressure cooking - it's one pot vs. 2. Ex. I can brown the onions/meat and then add my other ingredients. With a slow cooker I had to use the stove and an additional pan.

2. I can make pasta (we use lentil pasta and it works fine) with sauce in the instant pot - all one dish (no separate water boiling pot and separate sauce pot).

3. Baked potatoes are less than half the time of the oven - woot! Very quick and easy and we put things like taco meat on top.

I haven't made a lot of dishes, I feel like IP stuff probably is more suited to winter than summer fare. One dish I really liked was a curry dish and the spices came out amazing in the pressure cooker.
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-13-2016), Dovenoir (08-22-2016), easygoinmomma (12-17-2017), Llee (08-13-2016), TraceMama (03-10-2017)
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #98
2sunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
Jumping in late here. I got it in the sale and here's why I like it (vs. the regular crockpot which we rarely use):

1. I can saute in the instant pot before pressure cooking - it's one pot vs. 2. Ex. I can brown the onions/meat and then add my other ingredients. With a slow cooker I had to use the stove and an additional pan.

2. I can make pasta (we use lentil pasta and it works fine) with sauce in the instant pot - all one dish (no separate water boiling pot and separate sauce pot).

3. Baked potatoes are less than half the time of the oven - woot! Very quick and easy and we put things like taco meat on top.

I haven't made a lot of dishes, I feel like IP stuff probably is more suited to winter than summer fare. One dish I really liked was a curry dish and the spices came out amazing in the pressure cooker.
I agree. The only only times I EVER use my crock pot are when I need something and my IP is already in use. The IP is ALWAYS my go to...

I prefer the IP to the crock pot because in addition to being able to sautee meat in it beforehand and not have to use a different pan on the stove, I can also sautee afterwards to thicken the gravy or sauces that I've made in the crock pot.

Another HUGE benefit *for me* with the crock pot function of the IP vs. a regular crock pot is that there is a much more substantial lid. So 1. heat is kept inside much better than the crock pot and 2. SMELL is kept inside MUCH better. In fact, when I'm slow cooking in the crock pot, I don't usually even smell the food until I open the lid up. Which I LOVE because quite frankly I'm home all day long and although dinner simmering smells DELICIOUS is makes me insanely hungry and I prefer to eliminate that day long temptation!

Also, two things that I do regularly here in the crock pot that used to take 12 plus hours and now takes minutes in the IP are cooking dry beans and cooking bone broth. Those two features alone make the IP worth it for us.

And actually, I find my IP to be used a ton in the summer precisely because I won't use the oven when it's hot outside.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (08-13-2016), Katigre (08-13-2016), Llee (08-13-2016), TraceMama (03-10-2017)
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #99
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

Any tips for a first time user wanting to cook chicken legs tonight? I hate bbq sauce which is what it seems a lot of people do. What else would do well as the liquid?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #100
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
Any tips for a first time user wanting to cook chicken legs tonight? I hate bbq sauce which is what it seems a lot of people do. What else would do well as the liquid?

I put mine up on the rack with seasonings I like and put water or broth on the bottom.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #101
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I put mine up on the rack with seasonings I like and put water or broth on the bottom.
Good to know! Do you stack the legs on top of eachother on the rack? I have about 7 or 8, was hoping not to put them in the water and end up with boiled legs lol

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #102
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I only got mine yesterday, but I think to get the skin to have a crispier texture some recipes call for coating it with oil.

So far I've done rice, broth and pork chops with cabbage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
TraceMama (03-10-2017)
Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #103
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post

You could do an Asian style sauce easily.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
november (08-13-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #104
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't made these yet, you neeeeeeeed to. Seriously. Fudgy brownies. Perfect. I'm making my second batch because the first one...disappeared.

http://healthyfamilycookin.blogspot....ctric.html?m=1

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-22-2016), backtobasicsmum (08-22-2016), Lady Grey (08-22-2016), TraceMama (03-10-2017)
Old 08-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #105
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

You can make vanilla extract! http://www.tidbits-cami.com/2016/08/...a-extract.html

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote