Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Burn First Aid Q (kinda gross)

Yesterday I burned 3 of my fingers moving a large pot of boiling stock. I had to keep it in cold water a long time it was really painful. Anyway I think the skin on the top of my fingers is kind of dead, it's red and white with a lot of very small blisters and when something brushes my skin to hard it kind of shifts around and gets little splits in it. I was thinking maybe I need to get some kind of bandage to protect it so it doesn't get infected?? It's way to big of an area for a bandaid so I am out of my depth here I am googling and it says don't use anything fluffy or linty so what would you use? Should I put some kind of ointment or something on it too?

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burn First Aid Q (kinda gross)

sterile 4x4 to cover the area, then bandage tape or self-adhesive wrap (a la ace bandage) wrapped around to hold in place.....but you might want to get that checked - hard to tell from your description if it might be 3rd degree, which if it is 3rd degree it needs medical attention.
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2012), Auroras mom (04-26-2012), DancingWithElves (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

3rd degree burn you wouldn't be able o feel the area due o the nerves being dead, but it does sound like a good 2 nd degree burn.

I'd use antibiotic ointment until you can get either aloe, calendula cream or noxema (has silver sulfate in it). Keep the area moist with one of those ointments. Use 4x4 pads like suggested above and/or a gauze wrap. You can cut a sock up to put over your hand to hold the bandages in place.

burns stink. We've dealt with hospitalization worthy burns in our home. No fun.

Also, (per our plastic surgeon we worked with) don't pop the blisters. Let them pop on their own. If they pop it'll open he area up for infection.

Married to my best friend of 17 years
Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Fruit of Labor Placenta Encapsulation
Naked Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naked Camper For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2012), Auroras mom (04-26-2012), DancingWithElves (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Generally, they use triple antibiotic ointment for hands. If you want something stronger, you can go to your doctor or Urgent Care for a prescription for Silvadene. You want to use the ointment several times a day, keeping it as sterile as possible. then, as PP said, cover with sterile guaze and tape the edges. Third degree burns usually need at least debridment and possibly skin grafts over them to heal properly.

If they aren't third degree, it's a matter of keeping them moist but not infected for healing.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2012), DancingWithElves (04-27-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I asked me DH to pick me up some guaze we don't have anything like that.
It does not seem like they should be third degree burns, hot liquid for a few seconds followed by a long time cool water - seems pretty minor and common right? It hurt really bad for about 3 hours and I kept it in cool water because I absolutely could not stand it out of the water for more then a minute but then it quit hurting entirely (still doesn't). The only thing that's concerning me is how strange the skin looks and feels in the area. There is only a few blisters and there are very small so hopefully it's just a second degree burn, I feel kind of stupid going to the doctor for something like this.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Naked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond reputeNaked Camper has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd be more worried if it didn't hurt

Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Camper View Post
Yeah, I'd be more worried if it didn't hurt
So since it hurt at first it's probably okay right?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

There is this ointment, awkwardly called Burn Stuff. It is a GOD SEND. It's pricey, but so worth it. It works to supply adequate moisture, keep infection away, and it really takes the sting out of burns. I full on put my palm on my moms hot glass top stove and two days later I couldn't even tell. It is a must have for your new first aid kit.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Niphredil For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Naked Camper
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

and the blisters are a good sign too that it's just a 2nd degree burn.

FWIW, I wouldn't go into the doctor for that unless I started to notice signs of infection....based on what you've told us about it.

Mommy to:
baby Micheal ('03)
Malachi - 8
Corban - 5
Asher -4
Evangeline - 2

The Following User Says Thank You to Naked Camper For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-26-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #10
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Splash burns have a tendency to be very deep burns in the center with a very small edging to them. That said, I've only ever had third degree burns in our house once. I knew instantly when I looked at the grease splatter burns on E's arm that they were third degree. Her skin was peeling off and the edges were white.

I've looked at a lot of varied second degree burns before and wondered where the line to realize I was handling third degree and thus beyond my ability to manage it would lie. However, the day I looked at third degree, I didn't have to ask that question. It was an instant knowledge. There is a huge visual difference with third degree burns that doesn't exist in first and second degree burns at all, a shocking visual difference.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation

FWIW I burned two of my fingers last week pushing an oven rack back in....barehanded

I ran them under cold water immediately and then held onto ice packs for the rest of the day. They got white blisters that turned dry-ish looking and then, with regular use of my fingers (they were right at the top joint) started to crack on their own. They were EXTREMELY painful every time they opened up and I've really struggled with keeping them dry as it was my RIGHT hand and I'm RIGHT handed and have to cook everything from scratch and have no dishwasher (except for myself). this happened 8 days ago. One of the burns is finally healed over and the other is just about (I can see just the slightest amount of red skin underneath still. I imagine by the end of the weekend things should be mostly healed over.

WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

My herbalist doula friend swears by Manuka honey or even regular good quality honey for thngs like that - takes care of disinfectation and facilitates healing while keeping it moist gauze woud be good.......

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 04-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a few burns around here this winter, getting used to heating with a wood stove.

Emu Oil is AMAZING! Totally soothes and heals (quickly!) burns. I bought mine at the HFS. I highly recommend it.

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homesteadmama For This Useful Post:
mamacat (04-28-2012)