Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think there should be a lice sticky.

I have learned so much about lice~ all the things I have done wrong, some of which can have tragic consequences (read here)

Here are some resources that have been really helpful to me:

Head Lice.org FAQ page

Pictures of Nits

The Best Comb I have found.

Some warnings for everyone who may read this and may not click the links:

OTC shampoos and RX shampoos are pesticides with all the dangers associated with them. No treatment completely removes lice, only repeated careful combing does. So why risk the pesticides.

Pesticide sprays for bedding and furniture are not effective. Vaccumming is.

Plastic bags and shower caps worn while sleeping, carry a huge risk of suffocation.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

IF you decide to use a chemical treatment method:
  • Don't use shower caps and never leave the product on longer than directed.
  • Don't use a prescription product containing the pesticide LINDANE.
  • Don't use a chemical treatment on or near the eyes.
  • Don't use a head lice treatment on a baby.
  • Don't use lice sprays.
  • Don't buy products that are packaged with Lice Sprays.
  • Don't treat individuals who are not infested.
  • Don't use treatments to prevent head lice.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Signs of Pesticide Poisoning
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
CrunchySeaSalt (11-04-2012), duckwithoneleg (05-31-2010), Indigo (12-09-2014), mamaeffie (10-25-2010), SillyMommy (06-12-2014), ~yogamom~ (07-30-2013)
Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think there should be a lice sticky.

Thank you for posting these links... I hope we won't need them but several of the neighbor kids have been passing lice back and forth and I'm soooo paranoid we'll get them.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Dana Joy
Deactivated

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

The steps I have used, and have found effective:

During the day:
1. Wash all bedding / stuffed animals. Any non-essential items placed in plastic bag until completely sure lice are gone. Anything unable to be washed can be placed in dryer on high heat.
2. Vaccum all carpeting and matresses.

In the evening:
3. Check every family member, by wetting hair and looking under natural light. Look especially behind ears and at nape of neck.
4. Apply conditioner or cream to heads effected.
5. Comb through hair with metal toothed comb. (plastic ones have never worked for me) Use a white towel to wipe the comb clean and inspect what comes off. Continue combing until no lice are seen when cleaning comb.
6. Blow dry hair.
7. Wash hair with a shampoo with tea tree oil added.
8. Place long hair up in bun or braids, maybe even use clean head scarves while sleeping.
9. Wash all brushes and combs.

In the morning:
10. Replace all hair clips etc with clean ones, put ones warn in laundry.

Repeat process every three days until no lice are found.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I stickied it.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
ThirstyTurtle
Rose Garden

ThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

How often did you wash the bedding? After washing the bedding for 2 days and then not washing for 2 days (although I threw everything but the sheets in the dryer for a hour at a time), I'm thinking that it is an important step to wash the bedding every day. I would have been doing that if our washing machine wasn't broken right now and I was so tired of the laundrymat.

DS1-12/2006
DS2-04/2008
DS3-12/2009

You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other. ... Keep silent, refrain from judgment. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.
ThirstyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
JavaMama
Rose Garden

JavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond reputeJavaMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
How often did you wash the bedding? After washing the bedding for 2 days and then not washing for 2 days (although I threw everything but the sheets in the dryer for a hour at a time), I'm thinking that it is an important step to wash the bedding every day. I would have been doing that if our washing machine wasn't broken right now and I was so tired of the laundrymat.
Dh and I were really paranoid because dd2 was the only one in our family to get lice and she sleeps with us still so we washed and/or dried our bedding every day for over a week and then switched to every two days and then spaced it back out to our usual once a week. I'm dreading the water bill we get next month!

I think drying everything in the dryer should probably be enough esp if you are carefully combing for bugs and nits every night before bed.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Also- for those who are trying to avoid or get rid of lice, we had good luck with Fairy Tales Haircare (Organic) Rosemary Repel Shampoo etc. Our neighbor girl always runs (or used to) to dd2 to hug her and she's had them so bad other kids' moms were noticing them so I assume that is where dd2 got them since no one else in the family every got them.

Anyway, everyone in the family has been using the Rosemary Repel product in conjunction with all of the tips Dana gave. I do think it helped! We got rid of them that way whereas another neighbor who got them from that girl ended up having to be treated with $150 Rx treatment that Medicaid paid for- and the girl who gave them to everyone STILL has them. I think they have become resistant to the chemical treatments.
Homebirthing mama and midwife

Always remembering my youngest brother JK, forever 14 months old
JavaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

Robi-comb. Costs about 30 dollars. It is reusable, can be taken apart and cleaned if you want. It is basically a mildly electrified lice comb. It is chemical free. I had my kids cover their ears when using it, ears are quite sensitive. Otherwise I tried it out on various parts of my own body first, it generally produces a mild tingle, if anything. Then just wash the bedding twice a few days apart.
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice

ok so I am following the reccommendations here- my dd had lice for over a week before we noticed, I checked, but she has super thick hair so I didn't see anything,so all her itching I thought was just dry scalp like I get sometimes. So anyway when I was drying her hair a few days ago I saw a bunch of them so needless to say she had a really bad case, I bought a homeopathic treatment at the natural foods store and left it on for an hour and combed out a whole bunch of them, but now she is left with a TON of the eggs in her hair. She has a tender head so we decided to cut her hair short for summer and layer it more so I think that will help. but she still has a ton of the nits- is there anything to kill them? we have been washing all her bedding daily and vaccuming the whole house daily, what should we be doing to her head at this point?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Dana Joy
Deactivated

Using a super fine comb to remove the nits, one by one. It stinks, it is a major pain, but otherwise you will end up invested again once they hatch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dana Joy For This Useful Post:
Rabbit (11-04-2012), ThirstyTurtle (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
ThirstyTurtle
Rose Garden

ThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond repute

You need to obsessively comb for nits. It's not fun, but that's the way to get rid of them. Buy a metal comb because the plastic ones have terrible reviews.

At the time I was researching, there is nothing that can kill the nits. However, I read that 50/50 vinegar/water help loosen up the glue that holds the nit to the hair.

Keep the hair rubbed down with oil every 2-3 days over night. IIRC, you have about 7 days between a nit hatching and it laying more nits, so you want to kill any newly hatched nits that you missed before they reproduce.

DS1-12/2006
DS2-04/2008
DS3-12/2009

You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other. ... Keep silent, refrain from judgment. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #11
tryin-to-FROG
Rose Bouquet

tryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nicetryin-to-FROG is just really nice

Thanks I am doing the conditioner and metal comb daily- I got a finer metal comb and that seems to be helping...those darn nits some of them are just so tiny...it hasn;t been a full week since we started treatment so trying to comb hair daily for another week or so to be on the safe side- we have a new baby due anytime so really wanting to get this over with...
Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #12
ThirstyTurtle
Rose Garden

Don't give up after a week though. You still need to do the oil in the hair every 3 days for 3 weeks (IIRC, I may be wrong) because you need to kill babies hatched from the nits before they are big enough to lay nits. You can probably slow down on the nitcombing to every 3 days too after the first week. If you stay on top of smothering any newly hatched babies before they lay eggs, it should wipe them out assuming that you have killed all the adults too.

DS1-12/2006
DS2-04/2008
DS3-12/2009