Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #31
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Millennial Monopoly. . . not sure if this belongs in IF?

I’m sorry soliloquy! I don’t mean to keep coming at you! It’s nothing personal.

The thing is, the things millennials are vocal about wanting to change seem to be the things older generations call us snowflakes for or otherwise, things that are completely out of our control (like participation trophies)

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Little Forest (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #32
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

We got a chair reupholstered. It wasn't hard to find a place to do it at all, there were a few choices nearby, but it was expensive. I am guessing because it is not so common anymore so you are paying to have for the rarity of it; but it was the chair I was rocked in when I was a baby and a child so it was for sentimental value that i want to keep the chair.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-22-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Quiteria (01-21-2019), Soliloquy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #33
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Coordinator View Post
I’m sorry soliloquy! I don’t mean to keep coming at you! It’s nothing personal.

The thing is, the things millennials are vocal about wanting to change seem to be the things older generations call us snowflakes for or otherwise, things that are completely out of our control (like participation trophies)
Well, take heart in knowing that every generation before you has been called a version of snowflakes, too. You'll be hearing it about a younger generation in 10-20 years.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-22-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #34
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
We got a chair reupholstered. It wasn't hard to find a place to do it at all, there were a few choices nearby, but it was expensive. I am guessing because it is not so common anymore so you are paying to have for the rarity of it; but it was the chair I was rocked in when I was a baby and a child so it was for sentimental value that i want to keep the chair.
That's cool. I knew someone locally who had apprenticed to an older craftsman...he was going out of business b/c it was too uncommon to make a living anymore, and she was picking it up as more of an antique refinishing hobby than a business per se...she did projects for others, but more to pay for her supplies than to make a sustainable income.

They were the last in the area as far I know.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 04-01-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Soliloquy (01-21-2019), twoplustwo (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:33 AM   #35
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Well, take heart in knowing that every generation before you has been called a version of snowflakes, too. You'll be hearing it about a younger generation in 10-20 years.
Ha! Apparently to some segment of Americans Millenial doesn't actually mean a specific generation anymore, it's just a shorthand for "dumb kids these days." I have these conversations all the time with older relatives where they think today's high schoolers and college students are millenials (they are not), and beg me not to identify myself as a millenial, because it's not just a factual statement to them, but rather a mere pejorative.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Little Forest (01-22-2019), Llee (01-22-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019), rosesnsnails (01-22-2019), squiddles (01-23-2019), Tasmanian Saint (03-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #36
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Quote:
Every single generation can point to their version of a short stick they were handed. I remember being in my early 20s and all of "us" were very bitter about the stick we were handed (Gen X). We're in our 40s now and we're learning to overcome that.

I would NOT want to have been my mother, coming of age in the late 1950s. Yes, her sofa lasted 40 years (and it cost a LOT more than a modern sofa, based on prices adjusted for inflation) but her life choices were drastically limited.

EVERY generation gets handed some clogged toilets and baskets of doo doo. If you can't see the baskets of doo doo that the older generations had, it's because they've found ways to dispose of them in a healthy way or they've integrated the stinkiness in to their outlook and way of life. Some people say, "this is what I've got, where will I go from here." Some people just sit and live in the stink.

Each generation has their hills to climb.
I completely agree. I'm gen x with boomer parents, and it gets really old hearing about how great they had it. My dad usually had at least two jobs. Our furniture, clothes and cars were handmedowns because my parents insisted we live within our means. I remember being a few months away from graduating college, and hearing from recent alums that they'd had to go back to their retail jobs because there was no work for them that justified their new degrees.

I still have mostly handmedown furniture, thrift store clothes, our only vehicle is fourteen years old and you can hear it coming a block away. I have food and a warm(ish) safe place to live so I figure globally I'm wealthy compared to most of the population. There's no use is getting mired down in comparisons with my neighbors or other generations who seem to have had it better.

My grandma's generation lived by "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." That's pretty extreme these days but not a bad philosophy where it can be pulled off.

I prefer the game of Life over Monopoly but for teaching these things there's nothing better than loaning your kid some money. With interest. Not necessarily enough to hurt but enough that they can see their money disappearing into the void simply for having borrowed. I run numbers showing the different interest rates too.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-22-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), MaySunflowers (01-23-2019), Soliloquy (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

My grandmother had undiagnosed anxiety and depression the whole time I knew her. My friend's mom had very severe OCD her whole adult life. There was no help. There was no internet to find help. If you went to your doctor, a woman was often told to go get a new dress and hairstyle to cheer herself up.

If your kids had ADD, autism, or were atypical in other ways, you were a horrible mother and your kids could get kicked out of school. Atypical kids were often punished very severely. My dad got hit with rulers every time he tried to write with his left hand. Bullying was just accepted, as was racism and sexism. Cognitively disabled children were often sent to live in institutions. I remember taking a school field trip to one in 7th grade. It seemed normal to us that those children were kept there.

Sometimes I see comments on social media about "well, back in my day children behaved in public. I don't buy this autism, add nonsense." The truth is that, back in that day, atypical children were kept out of sight. There was no inclusion. My high school had a separate little building for kids with special education needs. We never mixed, not even on the bus. They had the short bus, literally. Younger people may not get the "did you ride the short bus?" joke which isn't funny to me.

Some things have changed for the worse, certainly. Some things have changed for the better, though.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
BestLaidPlans (01-22-2019), CelticJourney (01-22-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), graciousmomma (01-22-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019), Llee (01-22-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019), rosesnsnails (01-24-2019), Tasmanian Saint (03-23-2019), tempus vernum (01-22-2019), twoplustwo (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #38
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree that every generation has their thing for sure.

And every generation has their pros / cons. I always hope and pray I’d take the pros and reject at least some of the cons

The original post was cuz I think the concept of game was not sitting well. I decided it’s derisive and kinda harsh but there have been derisive/harsh statements/articles from the beginning of time . I heard all the time growing up “when I was a kid we walked to school up hill in the snow?”

I had a thought recently about how “the greatest generation” my grandparents (WW 1&2) were horrid in many ways. we were discussing our geneology and there were horrible secrets and things hidden. People were hidden away, abuse justified and hidden, prostitution was just swept under the rug. If things looked good and shiny, they were happy.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Llee (01-22-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019), rosesnsnails (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #39
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
A friend from our homeschool group does this for a living. It's a lot of work and about half the cost is the fabric. We bartered when we got a hand-me-down sofa from my brother (I can count on maybe one hand the things in my house that are new - everything is either hand-me-down or dh made it). Dh and his dad built stairs in their new workshop in exchange for the labor to recover. It still cost $300 worth of fabric.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019), rosesnsnails (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM   #40
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
It's a lot of work and about half the cost is the fabric.

We had to buy the fabric separate and yes I believe it was about half of the cost.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (01-22-2019), everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #41
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post

I had a thought recently about how “the greatest generation” my grandparents (WW 1&2) were horrid in many ways. we were discussing our geneology and there were horrible secrets and things hidden. People were hidden away, abuse justified and hidden, prostitution was just swept under the rug. If things looked good and shiny, they were happy.
Yes. Pregnant and not married? You were shamed and hidden away. Cross-cultural or cross-religious romance? Nope. My dh's paternal grandmother was shunned by her entire family because she married a Roman Catholic (her family was Lutheran). Forget marrying outside of your race. You were untouchable if you did that.

Yet I am so, so, so thankful that I have not had to live through a war like WW2.

I don't think Millennial Monopoly will be popular.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), HomeWithMyBabies (01-22-2019), rosesnsnails (01-24-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #42
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading the autobiography of a Code Talker (WWII) and he said that he and his sister walked home from school....for three days. At the end of the semester they were taken to a certain point, given a sandwich and walked the rest, depending on people along the way to help them out. No phones to call for anyone to ride out to pick them up. He was 8, his sister was 5.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019), Quiteria (01-22-2019), Tasmanian Saint (03-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #43
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I was reading the autobiography of a Code Talker (WWII) and he said that he and his sister walked home from school....for three days. At the end of the semester they were taken to a certain point, given a sandwich and walked the rest, depending on people along the way to help them out. No phones to call for anyone to ride out to pick them up. He was 8, his sister was 5.
Wow. Was it a Native American boarding school?
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (04-01-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #44
CelticJourney
Administrator

Quote:
Wow. Was it a Native American boarding school?
Yes He said Marine bootcamp wasn't anything bad to them because it was the same level of yelling and physical challenge, but they were fed really well and it had a purpose.

The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #45
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post: