Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 AM   #16
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included)

i don't make bread because i don't like the effort involved i think i could do this
thank you for that link
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
RooMama
Rose Garden

Who am I?

RooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond reputeRooMama has a reputation beyond repute

I think I could do this!

RooMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #18
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MKfam
Do you really *need* the pizza peel and the stone? I could do this, but I lack both pieces of equipment . Do you think it'd work on just a regular pizza pan (a vented one? I have one of those...) or a baking sheet?
Hmm... Maybe I need to go kitchen shopping . This sounds AWESOME! I would love to have home-baked bread all the time, but I've given up on a breadmaker (yuck! Couldn't get it to consistently work without being heavy or soggy), and while I do manage to make good bread the old-fashioned way, it's too time-consuming to do it regularly (okay, so I'm lazy :P).
My MIL and my friend use a cutting board or a cookie sheet (without the edge) and it works fine for a pizza peel. The stone though might be pretty important for the crust. I never tried without it. I always bake with stone though.

I am very lazy when it comes to bread making and that is why this method is so great! There's barely any work!

If anybody makes some, make sure to take pics and share!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracing Grace
My friend and I have been using this book/method for a year now and we cannot LIVE without it! The bread is so easy to make, I can do it blindfolded. The only downer is that I end up eating a lot of delicious hot bread with butter.... which makes for some quick weight gain...

So cool!!! Isn't it the best????
What kind of bread do you make? what flour?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #19
Embracing Grace
Rose Trellis

Embracing Grace has disabled reputation

Oh goodness, I think I've tried nearly everything in the book..... I use whatever unbleached white I find at the grocery store, and some brand of whole wheat I can't remember the name of (not much of an answer is that, huh?) With all the flour and dough stored in my fridge, I've considered getting a second one....

My friend really loves the pizza, and I absolutely love the challah. For sandwich bread I like the half and half version of whole wheat and white, but I do love the nutty and slightly bitter flavor of the 100%whole wheat. There are a few I haven't tried, like the American White (which I should get to). I get lazy sometimes. I just want to say that the carmel rolls made from the challah dough are absolutely to die for (and I won't even mention the brioche). I can't make them anymore, unless they are for other people! Actually, nowdays I just make the bread to give away because it's so fun... the neighbors love it. I can't justify making such quantities for our three person family...

Also, I don't use a pizza peel (I found a flat cookie sheet at Target that works just as well), but the stone is pretty essential. The stones are inexpensive though. Right now the cookie sheet is MIA, so I've been using a cutting board.

Josiah, 7
Judah, 3
Married to John
www.hebrew4christians.com
Embracing Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #20
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Pizza, challah, bread, wowowow!

I CAN"T believe this works! I must try it. I'm trying to read the article right now, but it's slow.

I have a bit of AP left over from cookies, and half a bag of white whole wheat, I'll be trying this tomorrow! I have to admit I'm skeptical, but if it DOES work, I want the book!!
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #21
blossomnatalia

oh man! I forgot to talk about the pizza I have made with that dough

Everyone I made pizza for was soooo impressed! Better than at any restaurant they said! you get all your toppings ready and get the dough out. Roll it out and bake for 10 minutes.....

quicker than frozen pizza and not even comparable in taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embracing Grace
Oh goodness, I think I've tried nearly everything in the book..... I use whatever unbleached white I find at the grocery store, and some brand of whole wheat I can't remember the name of (not much of an answer is that, huh?) With all the flour and dough stored in my fridge, I've considered getting a second one....

My friend really loves the pizza, and I absolutely love the challah. For sandwich bread I like the half and half version of whole wheat and white, but I do love the nutty and slightly bitter flavor of the 100%whole wheat. There are a few I haven't tried, like the American White (which I should get to). I get lazy sometimes. I just want to say that the carmel rolls made from the challah dough are absolutely to die for (and I won't even mention the brioche). I can't make them anymore, unless they are for other people! Actually, nowdays I just make the bread to give away because it's so fun... the neighbors love it. I can't justify making such quantities for our three person family...

Also, I don't use a pizza peel (I found a flat cookie sheet at Target that works just as well), but the stone is pretty essential. The stones are inexpensive though. Right now the cookie sheet is MIA, so I've been using a cutting board.
thank you for sharing! I really need to get the book now that the master recipe is working for me

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #22
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia

thank you for sharing! I really need to get the book now that the master recipe is working for me

did it take you a while to get it?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #23
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossomnatalia

did it take you a while to get it?
oh no!!!! first try!( I guess that was a wierd way to say that)>>>>>> second language!
and believe me,... I was ready to waste flour..... but nope! it is that easy...I think it would be really hard to mess up!
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #24
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Cool!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
rootsong
Seedling Rose

rootsong is on a distinguished road

I have GOT to get myself a baking stone! It's been on my list for quite some time. I get Mother Earth News myself & put that recipe aside because it sounds so awesome. Your picture is fabulous, what delicious looking bread!! I grind all our wheat & make all our breads/pizzas/crackers, etc from scratch. Thanks for sharing your pics! I need to try some of that bread!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone explain this part in kindergarten terms?
Quote:
Sprinkle the surface of the dough with flour, then cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit-sized) piece with a serrated knife. Hold the mass of dough in your hands and add a little more flour as needed so it won’t stick to your hands. Gently stretch the surface of the dough around to the bottom on four “sides,” rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go, until the bottom is a collection of four bunched ends. Most of the dusting flour will fall off; it doesn’t need to be incorporated. The bottom of the loaf will flatten out during resting and baking.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

I hope blossomnatalia will chime in, since she's actually done it, but what I think they mean is to dust the dough with flour, and form a ball by folding the dough under. I wish I could just show you.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #28
blossomnatalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicMama
I hope blossomnatalia will chime in, since she's actually done it, but what I think they mean is to dust the dough with flour, and form a ball by folding the dough under. I wish I could just show you.
Yeah that is it... you are just making a ball and stretching the "top" of it and collecting the ends at the bottom... oh man! it is very easy to do it is just hard to explain. But basically you are just forming the ball with stretching the dough gently not patting it or kneading it but "opening up" the dough.

I hope this helps... It would be cool if I could do a video

Old 12-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #29
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

Natalia, your bread is dazzling me... I'm just about to go mix up some dough right now, and if it turns out, I'll take a pic and post it. If it doesn't, I'm not posting a pic of my failure.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #30
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

my library has the book! i just put it on hold - all copies are currently out
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote