Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #181
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

Mama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about Vision Forum

I can't help but be curious as to what the concensus definition of patriarchy is. Having a definition (though general and slightly vague it may be) would be a great foundational point to work with here. As far as what we're seeing with VF, if the father in the family overrides God's purposes for the individual, then it is certainly what I'd describe as Chrystal's word 'UBER'-patriarchal, for sure! But does the godly father have the mandate to lead his family in the ways of the Lord, I think so. I probably won't be getting too involved in the thread because I'm not online much (my 4mo old and life in general is keeping me pretty busy!), but I'll try to check in here and there! Very intriguing discussion!
~ I Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power ~
Mama2MeadowRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #182
Can'tTurnLeft
Deactivated

Can'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond reputeCan'tTurnLeft has a reputation beyond repute

nm
Can'tTurnLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #183
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

If it is true that Michael Pearl is opposed to VF, I think it's funny that all those VF wives promote Created to be His Helpmeet so heavily.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thrillofhope For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #184
Striving4Grace
Deactivated

Striving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Espousing the belief that the man is the leader and the wife is under his authority is being patriarchal. There are obviously varying degrees of it and Doug Phillips and those like him would be in the UBER category. JMHO
Striving4Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #185
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

Mama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond reputeMama2MeadowRose has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, then in that case... I guess we're a 'patriarchal' family. Time to opt out of this convo before ya'll try to 'convert' me! (I don't mind discussion or questions, just don't want heated arguments)
~ I Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power ~
Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #186
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2MeadowRose View Post
I can't help but be curious as to what the concensus definition of patriarchy is. Having a definition (though general and slightly vague it may be) would be a great foundational point to work with here. As far as what we're seeing with VF, if the father in the family overrides God's purposes for the individual, then it is certainly what I'd describe as Chrystal's word 'UBER'-patriarchal, for sure! But does the godly father have the mandate to lead his family in the ways of the Lord, I think so. I probably won't be getting too involved in the thread because I'm not online much (my 4mo old and life in general is keeping me pretty busy!), but I'll try to check in here and there! Very intriguing discussion!

It sounds like we're talking to your dh again Is he posting on your account?
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (02-22-2011), Llee (02-22-2011), mwwr (02-23-2011), ReedleBeetle (02-23-2011), sweetpeasmommy (02-24-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #187
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug's Mommy View Post
If it is true that Michael Pearl is opposed to VF, I think it's funny that all those VF wives promote Created to be His Helpmeet so heavily.

It is ironic.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #188
bolt.
Rose Trellis

bolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond reputebolt. has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between, "My husband offered me servant leadership, and I accepted it, enjoy recieving that ministry from him, and intend to do it forever." (Which is husband-lead, but not patriarchal, because it does not state that there is inherent authority in the man due to his man-ness)

... and patriarchy which considers any non-male-lead family to be a violation of the natural order of things, because it sinfully denys the inherent (God-given) authority of a man over his family, due to his man-ness.

Simply because I lead my family, including my husband, in full submission and servanthood does not make me 'matriarchal' -- it simply means that I am currently undertaking a Christian leadership ministry in a relevant area of my life, with the full consent of those I have offered my leadership to.

Pam, 35 yo
Christian for 20 y
Married for 15 y
Mother to "J" 8 yo, and "M" 5 yo
INTJ, DYT 4, Canadian
1 more class until I'm done at Seminary
Adjunct Faculty at a Bible College
bolt. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bolt. For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-23-2011), ClassicMom (02-23-2011), forty-two (02-22-2011), kwisie (02-26-2011), Llee (02-22-2011), newday (02-22-2011), Zooey (02-25-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #189
Striving4Grace
Deactivated

Striving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond reputeStriving4Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, M2MR you would be a patriarchal family, but there's still time to start doing it right.
Striving4Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Striving4Grace For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-22-2011), ReedleBeetle (02-23-2011), sweetpeasmommy (02-24-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #190
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
It sounds like we're talking to your dh again Is he posting on your account?
NO, he is not. I apologized for prior happenings, so please don't jump to conclusions that I'd do the same yet again. My husband and I do believe the same about this issue, but I am most certainly posting for myself here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mama2MeadowRose For This Useful Post:
newday (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #191
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
NO, he is not. I apologized for prior happenings, so please don't jump to conclusions that I'd do the same yet again. My husband and I do believe the same about this issue, but I am most certainly posting for myself here.
I am not jumping to conclusions You and your dh have very different voices and it's pretty easy to tell you apart. It seemed he was either posting or telling you what to post. I felt it was important to ask
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
BHope (02-23-2011), Can'tTurnLeft (02-22-2011), Codi (02-22-2011), klpmommy (02-22-2011), Llee (02-22-2011), ReedleBeetle (02-23-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #192
Mama2MeadowRose
Rose Garden

He's not involved in this conversation. I'm still growing and exploring when it comes to marriage, family values, and parenting. But I guess you can say I'm pretty decided on the husband/father as leader matter. I don't want to cause division. I believe we're all here to build one another up in the most holy faith. I know we all desire to respect and love our husbands and raise our children the best we can according to His ways. So if we differ on the 'hows', then it's just how it is. Having diversity is great, having division is not. And I never want to be the cause of division. But when I see that the general views of the forum concerning family values are very different from my own, I can't help but give my own input on the matter. Hearing all your views cause me to look at my own and examine or re-examine them and that's great. Some may change, some will remain the same. And I hope the same goes for those who see what I'm saying and why. Anyways, it's late and everyone's asleep except me, haha! If I had any sense, I'd be getting precious sleep while I can. Gnight for now!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama2MeadowRose For This Useful Post:
katiekind (02-22-2011), newday (02-22-2011), twentysixcats (02-22-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #193
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was actually thinking of asking almost exactly the same thing--I wanted to ask it in the theology forum, but I'm not approved for that one so have been spending a few days mulling over where would be the best place to post a question about the different views on roles and headship.

I am very confused by this. What (if any) is the difference between some level of belief in the husband/father having headship/leadership/authority of some sort balanced by mutual submission and sacrificial servant leadership (which would probably be the closest description of my understanding of the Bible and my own marriage at the moment), a complementarian view, and what several posters have referred to as patriarchy?

All of these seem *very* different to me from the Uber-Patriarchy of The Patriarchy Movement such as the teachings espoused by VF, Lindvall, etc. and yet I'm getting a vibe that at least some posters here would put them all in the same boat as different shades of what they believe to be a heresy in any way, shape or form?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt. View Post
There is a difference between, "My husband offered me servant leadership, and I accepted it, enjoy recieving that ministry from him, and intend to do it forever." (Which is husband-lead, but not patriarchal, because it does not state that there is inherent authority in the man due to his man-ness)

... and patriarchy which considers any non-male-lead family to be a violation of the natural order of things, because it sinfully denys the inherent (God-given) authority of a man over his family, due to his man-ness.
Isn't there some range of shades in between? It seems to me that there are a lot of possibilities between/besides these of how people understand Scripture and work it out in their own lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striving4Grace View Post
Yes, M2MR you would be a patriarchal family, but there's still time to start doing it right.
Wow, that seems harsh. I'm still wrestling with this issue myself and learning about it, but some of the comments in this thread and some others really make me hesitant to even explore and try to ask questions and learn about different ideas on this issue here in this community. I didn't see anything in the board's statement of beliefs that you have to believe in complete gender equivalency in order to fit in here. Can someone hold complementarian views and still practice GBD?

Some of us have never even been exposed to arguments from people who believe in the inerrancy and authority of the Bible but deny that there is any sort of headship or spiritual authority of the husband/father at all, ever, even if it is only in God's eyes and doesn't actually affect the way things work out or look in practice from the human perspective. I hope everyone can be gentle with our attempts and process of understanding where these alternative views are coming from and whether they make sense to us or not.

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to purple_kangaroo For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-23-2011), ClassicMom (02-23-2011), dulce de leche (02-23-2011), Joyanne (02-23-2011), Mama2MeadowRose (02-23-2011), newday (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #194
Can Dance
Rose Garden

Can Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond repute

just for fun I picked up my copy of Discovering Biblical Equality again. I know there is suppose to be a distinction between soft patriarchy and hard patriarchy, but the actual supposed *Biblical* reasoning for both of them is basically the same. Though uber patriarchy takes it a step further and logically concludes that women should in fact not work outside the home or lead men in any kind of setting because its their ontological place in the world. the only difference being that soft patriarchy stops short of saying that as practically it would be extremely difficult to enforce In fact, the president of the SBC said "its hard enough to get them to submit in church and the home, let alone society at large"! but if you read the materials, it is in fact based on ontological subordination, NOT circumstantial (or however one would describe the fallacy of role only)
DS 24/2009
and my Hawaiian Surprise
DS 9/1/11
Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Can Dance For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-23-2011), dulce de leche (02-23-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #195
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo View Post
Isn't there some range of shades in between? It seems to me that there are a lot of possibilities between/besides these of how people understand Scripture and work it out in their own lives.
I don't think so. Either male leadership is mandated, or it is not. There's not much middle ground there. Patriarchal or husband-is-the-head-of-the-house says that male leadership is mandated. As bolt points out, a family can be led by the man without believing that the man *must* lead, which is then because the dynamic of the family works well that way and everybody in the family is content with it (as implied by the "husband offered servant leadership and wife gladly accepted.")

I suppose you could say there is middle ground, where one spouse is convinced that male leadership is mandated and the other isn't. Or where both are convinced the same way but are not happy about it. Or something. But those aren't philosophical middle grounds, just middle grounds of application.
Kiara.I is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
newday (02-23-2011), yellowheart (02-23-2011)