Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #166
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about Vision Forum

So, should ATI, Basic Life Principles and Ron and Joyce Fuhrman be on the list? Or is this list only for VF?

What was the link for ICR?

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #167
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
So, should ATI, Basic Life Principles and Ron and Joyce Fuhrman be on the list? Or is this list only for VF?

What was the link for ICR?
Are Gothard and VF connected with each other other than having some similar teachings in some areas? ATI, BLP etc. are definitely connected with Gothard, but I'm not so sure about the VF connection?

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Maybe it could be a more general list of people with extreme patriarchy-movement-style teachings?

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #168
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm thinking that is what it is becoming.

And never mind about ICR, I googled it.

My pages:
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #169
littlemama
Rose Trellis

littlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how I missed reading this until now. I knew about the whole patriarchal teachings with Gothard but had never heard of VF.

Quote:
Hobby Lobby also officially and formally supports Oral Roberts University,
Not only that, but Mart Green is the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at ORU.

This really saddens me as an alumni of ORU. The Green family has really helped the school get back on it's feet and out of debt. The improvements they have done at the campus are wonderful!!!
dulce de leche (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #170
Heather Micaela
Rose Garden

Bar/Bat Mitzvah picture with husband Michael.

Location: Within sight and earshot of the Disneyland fireworks
Heather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond reputeHeather Micaela has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that is what it is becoming.

And never mind about ICR, I googled it.
do you mean The Institute for Creation Research ? That is patriarcahal?

ESFJ T4 Messianic
Joshua-13
Christina- 11
Amalia Linda-8.5
Trinity-7
Gabriel-5
w/ADHD, ASD & Dyslexia
Taylor Jordan11/15/04 SkyeDakota10/12/05
Life is a pile of good things & bad things The good things don't always soften the bad things but the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things
Heather Micaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #171
yellowheart
Rose Trellis

yellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to all

Would Hobby Lobby's connection to VF be enough for you to boycott the store?....it would create a hardship (maybe its a petty one ) for me to boycott Hobby-Lobby...especially IRT to scrapbooking supplies...we have NOTHING else within a 1.5 hour radius of us. A small section at JoAnn's. That's it. I guess I could order all my stuff from Stampin' Up and Creative Memories.
yellowheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #172
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was bummed about the Green/Hobby Lobby/VF thing, too. He has done so much good for ORU (and my family has benefited).

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #173
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxthecatrules View Post
Would Hobby Lobby's connection to VF be enough for you to boycott the store?....it would create a hardship (maybe its a petty one ) for me to boycott Hobby-Lobby...especially IRT to scrapbooking supplies...we have NOTHING else within a 1.5 hour radius of us. A small section at JoAnn's. That's it. I guess I could order all my stuff from Stampin' Up and Creative Memories.
I'm trying to sort this out myself . I've never been a big boycott sort of person, and HL is *so* convenient (no idea where other equivalent stores are, either) - but, wow, I *really* don't like Gothard . I wouldn't boycott over just anyone, but this connection is so clear and Gothard is that dangerous to my mind, that I'm really thinking I need to put my money where my mouth is . Doesn't mean *you* need to do it, of course - depends on how important it is to *you*, not how important it is to me or other GCMers .

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (02-22-2011), BarefootBetsy (02-22-2011), teamommy (02-23-2011), yellowheart (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #174
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela View Post
Not patriarchal, but very friendly with Doug Phillips of VF. Here is a recent example. Use Ctrl F to find Vision Forum mentioned.

My pages:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Heather Micaela (02-22-2011), teamommy (02-23-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #175
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Micaela View Post
Not patriarchal, but very friendly with Doug Phillips of VF. Here is a recent example. Use Ctrl F to find Vision Forum mentioned.

My pages:
Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #176
littlemama
Rose Trellis

littlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond reputelittlemama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Would Hobby Lobby's connection to VF be enough for you to boycott the store?.
For me, no.

If I boycotted all the places who I thought had questionable financial practices, I'm not sure where I would shop. Every time you turn around there is somewhere else that has questionable practices and people want to boycott.
Eowyn (02-22-2011), Heather Micaela (02-22-2011), purple_kangaroo (11-21-2012), yellowheart (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #177
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not generally a boycott happy person.

However, my personal reasons for boycotting HL are pretty simple. First, Patriarchy has directly harmed my family and nearly destroyed my marriage. Second, HL has a tithing policy. They donate 10% to charities of their choosing, and I'm not sure if that's proceeds or profits. However, it is enough to feel as if HL uses my money to directly support beliefs and organizations that nearly destroyed my family and a LOT of other families like mine.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-22-2011), Bonnie (02-22-2011), Maggirayne (11-11-2012), newday (02-22-2011), yellowheart (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #178
yellowheart
Rose Trellis

yellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to allyellowheart is a name known to all

Thanks for the responses.

I guess this is almost worthy of a spin-off...but, where do you all look for information like this? i.e.---I mentioned Creative Memories and Stampin' Up earlier...where would you go to dig up "dirt" (for lack of a better term) on companies like this? Do you dig around on their websites? I never knew about HL until this afternoon.

I could probably bypass HL if I put my mind to it. I already buy my yarn from the LYS. We have several quilting stores in the area. So there is my fabric. One of my best friends is a CM consultant, I have a SU consultant....if I would just plan ahead I could really buy all of my scrapping supplies from them. And, we do have a smallish JoAnn's store.

Last edited by yellowheart; 02-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.
yellowheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #179
Rea T
Deactivated

Growing into something beautiful...

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute

How does Nancy DeMoss fit into this? I know someone mentioned her on an earlier post. I've been googling and trying to find stuff. It appears that a lot of bloggers that support VF like her which is no huge shock. It looks like she may have had an interview posted on VF's site. That's as far as I get.
Rea T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #180
rachelserine

I believe that was me - the connection I was referring to was that Voddie Baucham speaks at her True Woman conferences. That, of course, does not mean that she personally agrees with everything he promotes, but he is quite extreme and it is worrisome to me that True Woman would invite him to speak at their conferences.

I'm personally not a fan of her gender advice, her poor exegesis, the way she advises wives and moms when she has never been either and her patriarchal beliefs. In all honesty, I can't say I see much difference between her and VF or Voddie Baucham. Others would strongly disagree.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
emerald (03-02-2011)