Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tree Change Dolls

I've decided to find myself a craft to do and have landed on attempting to make tree change dolls myself! I've not actually done one yet but have started to collect some Bratz dolls that I am watching for in secondhand shops (as these are not something we've ever bought!) I need to just find the right paint brush and the right sealer and I will be ready to get started.

I was feeling very nervous about making the eyes but I've been looking at the lady's facebook page who does them and realized not a single doll she's made has even eyes... whew! Less pressure on me then!

I can't wait.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (04-08-2015), Sparrow (04-07-2015), squiddles (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tree Change Dolls

Excited to see how it comes out.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Me too!

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, fun.
Do you have sugru for wellies? Or, even better, are you *making* the wellie material yourself?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait!

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea what that is! Off to google...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hopetobe For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-17-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Ooh, fun.
Do you have sugru for wellies? Or, even better, are you *making* the wellie material yourself? opcorn
Do you mean what am I doing for the shoes? Hah, that might be tricky! The bag I've bought of dolls and accessories seems to also come with at least one set of plain feet I thought I'd be able to make slippers for.... still figuring out if I get stuck making over the heels... might collect packs off ebay if this goes well.
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-07-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

I did a bit of costing... will be a heck of a lot cheaper if I stalk ebay for job lots of the more normal looking bratz shoes than it would be to make shoes/boots myself! It seems about Ł6 for enough sugru to make maybe 2 pairs of boots... whereas I've just ordered 8 pairs of boots/shoes on ebay for Ł7.95 (free postage).... none of those are the crazy stilletos, nice 70's sort of boots and just regular shoes/sandals... age appropriate.

Will keep stalking ebay for more.

Next week when my kids are in school I shall try to get on my first attempt at painting and sewing new clothes!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #9
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Did you try costing out the homemade version of sugru? I'd be curious how it compares.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Did you try costing out the homemade version of sugru? I'd be curious how it compares.
Not really, I don't know how to make them otherwise. I found something else, some sort of beads you add warm water too and mould them which was Ł20 for 500ml which was a better price but I don't know how well that works.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:04 AM   #11
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

I've come back with an update on how my test doll is coming along. I've not had the time I hoped to get farther ahead, but I am excited with what I've done so far.

This is my first EVER painted face, and though I'm sure there is a lot wrong with it, like symmetry and the eye color isn't exactly smooth, and the eyes are a bit far apart... I think it is pretty good for a first try and with practice I think I just might make some decent doll faces in the future.... I do have 7 dolls in a bag waiting for a new lease on life, after all.

I still need to trim this doll's hair, paint the hands (gloves), red rubber boots and undies then make clothes. Oh, an I haven't varnished anything yet either.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (04-18-2015), Beth1231 (04-17-2015), camperjen (04-30-2015), Carini (04-29-2015), graciousmomma (04-18-2015), HadassahSukkot (04-17-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), HuggaBuggaMommy (04-17-2015), JessicaTX (04-29-2015), MaybeGracie (04-29-2015), MegMarch (04-17-2015), MidnightCafe (04-29-2015), rjy9343 (05-01-2015), rosesnsnails (04-18-2015), squiddles (04-17-2015), twoplustwo (04-17-2015), ValiantJoy07 (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard of Tree Change dolls & now thanks to google I saw the video & webpages & I am totally

She has new ones going on sale tomorrow. Tomorrow Australian time, not sure what time that is EST or what the cost is in US $!

I would love to get one, but my daughter never really had any interest in little dolls.

She got some hand me down Bratz dolls & didn't like them so we quickly donated them (since I didn't like them either)

We got a ton of hand me down Barbie stuff & she gave away or sold (at her own little garage sale) almost all of it. (Barbies, Ken, a 3 story house, 4 cars, etc etc).

The only doll she has ever played with is her American Girl dolls (by AG doll, I mean both AG and her knock off Target ones).

I noticed in the video one of the little girls said how the Tree Change dolls look more like them. I wonder if thats why my dd never liked Barbie but did American Girl doll.

Maybe we should make our own.

I could take her shopping for one. I can help her clean it fresh. My dh could help her repaint it & sew her new clothes.

A summer project maybe?

Also, yours is turning out AMAZING! LOVE IT! Thanks for inspiring me!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-17-2015), Hopetobe (04-18-2015), MaySunflowers (04-17-2015), rjy9343 (05-01-2015), squiddles (04-17-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #13
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Definitely give it a try!
The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (04-17-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #14
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Cute, I love the freckles.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 AM   #15
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Right... so I couldn't get comfortable with test baby's face... so I erased most of it and started again. I think I did some things a bit better this time. I'm hoping to clean it up and fix the bits I don't like still.... wish I had a MUCH steadier hand! But overall... I like this better than the first attempt. Picture in spoiler

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (04-29-2015), MegMarch (04-29-2015), MidnightCafe (04-29-2015), rjy9343 (05-01-2015), twoplustwo (04-29-2015)