Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Victorious
Rose Garden

Victorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond reputeVictorious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What medicinal plants can I grow and how would I use them?

Marking this.
Amy (04/26/11)

Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
Can anyone recommend a good book? Or Jenny, is the book you linked to a good one to have on hand?
One of my favorite herbals is Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. It has basic instructions for making salves as well as other herbal preparations.

Salves are relatively easy to make. You start with a herb-infused oil and melt the oil with some beeswax in a double boiler over low heat until the beeswax is dissolved. The trick is getting the right proportions. One cup oil to one quarter cup beeswax will make a fairly hard salve which works well if you carry it in your purse or live in a hot climate.

Oh, thanks for the link about making flower essences! That was really timely for me. I haven't made any before and I have been thinking about making some.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
momyshaver (04-14-2012), SilverMoon (04-14-2012), simplegirl (04-15-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-15-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #18
PDX Mommy
Rose Trellis

PDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond reputePDX Mommy has a reputation beyond repute

Evan ~ February 2008

Joshua ~ November 2009

PDX Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #19
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Raspberries are fairly easy to grow/low maintenance (i.e. meaning...even I have not killed them!), and you can use the leaves for RRL teas, etc. for female support.

Mint is good for soothing digestive issues, dandelion, plantain, purslane, (pigsweed) contains more omega 3 than any other leafy veggie! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

subbing for ideas on low maintenance stuff others are doing
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momyshaver For This Useful Post:
SilverMoon (04-14-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-15-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Following along to learn.
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to make your own oil of oregano?

We found out that Eliot really likes the scent of lavender and she often sleeps with a lavender satchet I bought for her. I'm growing it this year to see if home-grown has a gentler scent. I've dried some prunings already (they're not outside yet) and I'm surprised at how lemony and strong it is... exactly like the store-bought satchet. Hoping that the flowers are more mild. I've got to pot on 47 of these things soon; I shouldn't have started them as early as I did!
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #22
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

treehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond repute

Books by Jeanne Rose are great.
Completing our family June 2014
www.placentaencapsulationservices.com
treehugginmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treehugginmama For This Useful Post:
SilverMoon (04-15-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-18-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

WOAH! Ladies!!! This stuff is GREAT! Im so excited to try all of this! That youtube video link was AMAZING and brought up a lot of other cool videos on the side. Why do I never think to look for this stuff on youtube? I'm such a visual learner, I really struggle with websites that area not heavily illustrated.

I feel like I had a better climate for growing some of these herbs when I lived in AZ but there is stuff here. The dandelion is growing like crazy here and that might be a good one for me to start with.

Adding seeds to my shopping list! Lavender, calendula...we'll see what else.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Is it possible to make your own oil of oregano?

We found out that Eliot really likes the scent of lavender and she often sleeps with a lavender satchet I bought for her. I'm growing it this year to see if home-grown has a gentler scent. I've dried some prunings already (they're not outside yet) and I'm surprised at how lemony and strong it is... exactly like the store-bought satchet. Hoping that the flowers are more mild. I've got to pot on 47 of these things soon; I shouldn't have started them as early as I did!
It depends on whether it is an essential oil of oregano or an infused one. Essential oil of oregano (which is what people usually mean when they say oil of oregano) is steam distilled so you couldn't make it at home without the proper equipment. Wild oregano is considered to be the most medicinally potent, although its culinary relative would share some of its qualities. You could still make homemade oregano products such as tea or infused oil but they wouldn't be as potent. That doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be effective though. Personally I usually prefer gentler applications anyway.

You might want to experiment with different varieties of lavender to find a subtler scent. Culinary lavender varieties are usually milder.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damselfly For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #25
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Jadeswan! I found a thread on GardenWeb about the process and realized it's definitely NOT something the general public should attempt, even with the right equipment. Yikes!

I may just wait and see how much lavender I end up with and then decide what to do with it. I don't have many options to experiment with too many varieties with our short season; lavender doesn't survive the winter here and only a very few varieties bloom in their first year, from what I've read. The one I'm growing now is called Lavender Lady. The few flowers I've gotten so far have been very nice – much milder than the leaves.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

This excellent aromatherapy book gives instructions for distilling your own essential oils http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-...4679770&sr=8-1

The oregano used in the "oil of oregano" products is often sold in garden stores with a name such as "Hot and Spicy Greek Oregano." Check the tags to verify the latin name. It's a potent and tasty garden herb, I'll tell you that

There are multitudes of lavender varieties, most of which have been bred for showier flowers and other reasons. The most desirable medicinal variety (in terms of the essential oil from the flowers) is the original lavender - known as Lavandula angustifolia or Lavandula officinalis. This lavender has a balance of chemical components that are stimulating and ones that are relaxing. Spike lavender (Lavandula latifolia) produces more essential oil, but it contains little of the relaxing chemicals and more of the stimulating chemicals. Good for sports rubs, not good for sleep sachets Lavandin varieties are a hybrid of spike and true lavender; their scent is somewhere between the two but like the spike lavender, they also have more of the stimulating chemicals and higher oil production.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars

Last edited by Taedareth; 04-17-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (04-19-2012), Llee (04-20-2012), SilverMoon (04-17-2012), thrillofhope (04-18-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

I just recently received my medicinal herb seeds and roots order. I got comfrey root, greater celandine root, calendula, horehound, yarrow and giant turkish plantain seeds. I also have dandelion and mallow growing in the yard, as well as mint and lemon balm. I've started some thyme and chamomile. It amazes me that chamomile can survive in the wild, the babies look so delicate.
I've really been enjoying maria Treben's book:
http://www.amazon.com/Health-Through...0&sr=8-2-spell lately, as well as this book: http://www.amazon.com/Plant-Power-La...5560901&sr=1-3

I hope to make oils and salves this summer/fall as well as dry some herbs for teas. Horizon herbs is a great resource for seeds, roots and plants.

I've made dandelion syrup twice so far and have a cake in the oven sweetened with it. I've also had the leaves in my salad a few times, and a little root in my tea. Mallow is good for hoarseness and I'd soaked some in cold water and drank it (as recommended in the Maria Treben book).

Last edited by mamajane; 04-27-2012 at 02:12 PM.
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
Macky
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
It amazes me that chamomile can survive in the wild, the babies look so delicate.
That's true of so many wild plants.

Spoilered because it's not regarding medicinal plants...

Last edited by Macky; 04-27-2012 at 05:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
mamajane (04-27-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #29
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajane View Post
I've really been enjoying maria Treben's book:
http://www.amazon.com/Health-Through...0&sr=8-2-spell
I wanted to add that most of this book is online here:
http://mariatrebenherbs.com/
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote