Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #1
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you worry....

Homeschooling has been at the back of my mind for awhile now and since my oldest isn't quite 3 yet I have time to think about this and process it. So here are a few things that I worry about if we decide to homeschool:

1) That I am not smart enough. I still can't do fractions.
2) Social interaction
3) What about computers? Do you teach them those skills too?
4) Feeling overwhelmed/inadequate

Do you worry about these too? Do you have other concerns? Am I weird to worry about these?
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
Stiina (06-15-2011), thrillofhope (06-18-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do you worry....

All of your concerns are valid and it's very wise to examine all of them before taking the leap. If you don't have the answers for yourself, when someone asks you it can feel threatening and confusing. And yes, someone will ask you these questions eventually.

1. You are smart enough. I found myself relearning how to do some math the proper way as I taught my kids. Like subtraction; I wasn't taught how to do subtraction the correct way! And I considered majoring in math in college! You are qualified to teach your kids because you are their mother. God gave them to you, and He knows your abilities better than you do. He also equips you with everything you need to teach your kids. That doesn't mean it's all in your head, but He has given you want you need, and will help you find sources when you don't know.

2. social interaction will come. If you allow your kids to go anywhere at all, they will interact with others. If you keep them holed up at home, never allow them to go outside or go anywhere, then that's an issue. They learn how to interact with the world with you helping them. You can be intentional by enrolling them in sports, AWANA, Sunday school, park district programs, set up play dates, and enroll in other enrichment classes if you are really worried. The really great benefit to home schooling is the kids will interact with people of all ages and abilities, not only the kids in their classroom, of the same age and social ability.

3. my kids learned computer skills using computer game programs. I meant to teach them keyboarding skills, but by the time they were in high school they knew enough to be comfortable and don't want to learn typing skills. Though they are envious that I can type quickly.

4. Every year I feel inadequate. It's part of the process for me. Planning ahead helps. I really should look over all their books before the first day, which would help me feel more confident, but I don't. I used a boxed curriculum that told me what to say every lesson, what paperwork was needed for that lesson, actually every little item needed for the lesson. It worked well for us.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-27-2011), easygoinmomma (06-15-2011), gdzprncess (06-18-2011), gpsings (06-15-2011), JBEMom (06-16-2011), Stiina (06-15-2011), thrillofhope (06-18-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you that makes me feel better. Did you homeschool all the way through high school too? Have your kids went to college? Do they find it a challenge?
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
Old 06-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoinmomma View Post
Homeschooling has been at the back of my mind for awhile now and since my oldest isn't quite 3 yet I have time to think about this and process it. So here are a few things that I worry about if we decide to homeschool:

1) That I am not smart enough. I still can't do fractions.
2) Social interaction
3) What about computers? Do you teach them those skills too?
4) Feeling overwhelmed/inadequate

Do you worry about these too? Do you have other concerns? Am I weird to worry about these?

Not weird at all to "worry" about those things.

1) Personally, I think you are smart enough. We all have our strengths and weaknesses...and knowing them is really important so we can supplement when we don't know how to do something. I don't add well. Really. I were never drilling in "speed" for those basics facts. I either use my fingers (seriously) or take my dear sweet time when I'm adding numbers up. I multiply and divide much faster.

2) Social interaction is a big one....but depends on what you gauge as social interaction. Do I think that my kiddos need to be in a large group of same age kiddos for big parts of each day? No. Do I think it is the best choice for them to be at home all day, every day with just me. Also, no. You know that that particular aspect is one of our reasons for planning a move. My kids *do* need some things outside the house, that I can't provide for them here...but "school" isn't our answer either.

3)Computers...yup, those will be skills that they will have to learn too. It's pretty amazing to me how quickly they pick them up, though. I've been pretty deliberate to NOT introduce computers too much here. But I'm working slowly into it now. If you are talking about actual usage of programs and stuff...those things change soooo fast. I'm sure by the time they are teens and are needing/wanting to use the computer much more, that I'll sign them up for a computer class somewhere, and they can keep me current and up-to-date.

4)Feel overwhelmed and inadequate? Everyday. Part of it is still struggling with the public school mindset that *everyone* has (even myself). I have to remind myself that it is NOT our goal to have our kids doing the exact same thing as their public school counterparts. Part of it is fueled by depression talking. And on and on it goes.

Personal disclaimer: I always struggle a bit with how much to share with you. I don't want to be the over-powering, "all knowing" SIL. And I definitely have BIG opinions about this...and even the specifics of doing this in our (yours and mine) current locations/IL support/etc. I'm happy to talk your ear off about this, but I kind of want to leave any more than what I've written above in your hands. Feel free to ask, but I don't want to push too much on you either.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
backtobasicsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (06-15-2011), gdzprncess (06-18-2011), gpsings (06-15-2011), Stiina (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

If we decide to go this routine I will need all the help I can't get and as for what others think well I pretty much let that slide now. As in I don't really care what others think of me.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (06-15-2011), Stiina (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

backtobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond reputebacktobasicsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, one more thing I've got several books I think are really good on the topic of homeschooling. You are always welcome to borrow them.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest books too

I have "Homeschooling our children, Unschooling ourselves" by Alison McKee. LOVE it!! All about trusting your kids to learn what they need to - it's her journey through unschooling her two kids and seeing them go off to college and great and wonderful things.

Will I be brave enough to unschool? I don't know. I'm definitely doing "home-based education" though.

The questions are never ending, and the doubt will be there always. But the benefits will astound us I think!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (06-15-2011), gdzprncess (06-18-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Karisa, I wanted to add that I don't think you know it all. That sounds funny, but you know that I mean it in a good way. I could use some books to read.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (06-15-2011), Stiina (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
jenn3514
Rose Garden

Be assured, God is in the details.

jenn3514 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoinmomma View Post
Thank you that makes me feel better. Did you homeschool all the way through high school too? Have your kids went to college? Do they find it a challenge?
I pretty much agree with everything that Silver Moon said. My oldest dd is going into her third year of college, she's doing great, had little problem adjusting, and gets good grades. And I still worry with the younger ones. I think you'll do fine.
jenn3514 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenn3514 For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (06-15-2011), gdzprncess (06-18-2011), SilverMoon (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Thank you ladies, you have no idea how good and reassuring this has been to hear and I haven't even talk to dh about it yet. He is pretty much agreeable with most things though.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
SilverMoon
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain why you did it wrong. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SilverMoon has disabled reputation

I've homeschooled all the way, but my oldest will be a high school senior next year. My middle child will be technically a junior (so she can take advantage of some classes through the high school) but has enough credits to be considered a senior. My youngest is starting high school in the fall.

"Trust is rebuilt by focusing not on what the other person did or did not do but on critiquing one's own behavior, improving one's trustworthiness, and focusing attention not on words and promises but on actions, attitudes, and ways of being."
— Kenneth Cloke and Joan Goldsmith
The Art of Waking People Up

for the many, many wise voices we've lost

SilverMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverMoon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

Those are pretty normal fears. I used to really worry about those things and a lot of other things too. Honestly, they work themselves out.
I didn't graduate high school, I just barely got a GED, and my kids average well above average on all of their academics.

In regards to people asking questions, you're right not to care. I used to waste a lot of energy defending our choice to homeschool, now it's a casual 'we homeschool. It's just better for our family' and bean dip the rest.
It's actually not as hard as it looks from the outside.

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post:
easygoinmomma (06-15-2011), gdzprncess (06-18-2011), Stiina (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

How do you *know* where your kids are in the grades department? I mean how would you know if they are behind/ahead/average?

Another thing I would worry about is how would I *know* where they are in regards to others there age. Does that even matter?
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
backtobasicsmum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

We generally don't worry where they are in regards to similarity in "grades" in public school. Though I am starting to tell the kids something to say when they get asked "what grade are you in?". Having them stand there looking at the askee like isn't the best, IMO.

There are TONS of resources out there, that do list what is generally learned in each grade. You could find books in regards to that (we have several "grade 1 workbook" type things that we do for fun and to change things up), or there are online lists that give general recommendations. I can't find the particular list by googling right now, but I know I've linked to one here before that World book put out.
J - 14 My sparkly girl
L - 11 My funny boy
O - 9 My snuggly boy
The Following User Says Thank You to backtobasicsmum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
gpsings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ORANGE you glad I made a new avatar? :D

gpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond reputegpsings has a reputation beyond repute

To determine grade, most curriculum has placement tests, and since most goes in order of grade level but since I have kids in different grade levels for different subjects, I like the 'dumb stare' when someone asks them grade as well. Or my sweet - and uber smart - 7 year old answers matter-of-factly "We homeschool" and then they get a surprised look. I guess people assume a homeschooler would be hiding behind my leg while I answered for them?

Gretchen
ENTP
Wife of Kevin
Blessed AP, Homeschooling mama to:
Aneliese age 13, Breena age 10, and Caden age 7

gpsings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpsings For This Useful Post: