Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
Radosny Matka (03-24-2013)
Old 06-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
Moon

Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

We used Tide F&C just fine in the softer water of Colorado. Now in Nevada with really hard water none of the conventional detergents would cut it. We use Seventh Generation F&C with extra rinses now, no problems at all. With Tide F&C we were stripping monthly.

I know F&Cs are taboo for some reason, we have to use them due to kiddo sensitivities and/or allergies. According to the manufacturers the only differences are they don't have dye and scents added, they don't put anything extra in them that the regular formulas don't have.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Just a note.....I had been using All Free and Clear due to my son's eczema and my PUL covers all started wicking. Turns out that the All Free and Clear optical brighteners break down the barrier of the pul and let the moisture through.

I still use All Free and Clear on the regular laundry, but I use Sun detergent on the dipes and haven't had problems as far as skin issues(yet?).

At least, that's been my experience. I think there was a thread earlier about this and that's where I got the info about color brigheners breaking down PUL covers. (I think).

and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Moon

The optical brightner issue is a relatively new one that prolly isn't reflected on the charts yet. It's a dye in the blue spectrum that attaches itself to the fibers to make it appear brighter, without necessarily removing the stain. A particular detergent held the patent on it and just let it run out late last year or early this year. Now anyone can use it. So if the bottle says "brightens whites" or something like that right on the front, be leary of the optical brightners.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #5
InglesideMomma

I lot that list. It really makes things less overwhelming when your starting out. I've recomended it to so many new cders!
I should've thoguth to post it here
Old 06-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
RosieTook

Excellent list. Thanks. I just switched to Seventh Generation Liquid Baby Detergent, and while it has helped, my dipes are still a bit stinky, stripped or not. I am going to get some Allen's Naturally and try it.

This is an excellent resource
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Dana Joy
Deactivated

AKA "Mommy Piadosa" or on FB "PunkHippyMommy"

Dana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond reputeDana Joy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using sun or surf- so the list reasured me in that= thanks for posting it!
Dana Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great chart! I had no idea that those optical brighteners would be hard on my pockets. I'm going to get some Wind Fresh from Sam's Club. That stuff is super cheap.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #9
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

So is the 300 oz Sun from Wal-Mart! I've been using that on my dipes (one of the recommendations for SnS) and it works just fine. I use Wind Fresh for my normal laundry and it !!!
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

we use charlie's soap and love it.... so cheap and effective. I've been using it on my regular laundry too, on and off...

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone else notice the list was updated 7/5/06 and that regular Sun detergent has been changed to reflect the fragrance, plus noted that it does have enzymes and optical brighteners as well - and that it's no longer recommended for diapers? I just bought a jug and went to use it tonight for the first time - I was very surprised to smell obvious fragrance and that's what made me come back to double check the list and find it updated. :/ Now there is Sun Free on there, which I'll have to look for next week....I'm not impressed by the Allen's Naturally (dipes don't get clean smelling) and it is way too pricey anyway. Does anyone use Surf and is is really fragrance-free like it shows on the chart?

I wonder if she saw a bunch of hits to that webpage and decided to update it?

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly
Did anyone else notice the list was updated 7/5/06 and that regular Sun detergent has been changed to reflect the fragrance, plus noted that it does have enzymes and optical brighteners as well - and that it's no longer recommended for diapers? I just bought a jug and went to use it tonight for the first time - I was very surprised to smell obvious fragrance and that's what made me come back to double check the list and find it updated. :/ Now there is Sun Free on there, which I'll have to look for next week....I'm not impressed by the Allen's Naturally (dipes don't get clean smelling) and it is way too pricey anyway. Does anyone use Surf and is is really fragrance-free like it shows on the chart?

I wonder if she saw a bunch of hits to that webpage and decided to update it?
Don't you hate it when you find something that does exactly what you want, no more and no less, and then they decide to change it!?! I still have like half a bottle of Sun left and just went to look at it and it doesn't say it has any enzymes or brighteners, so I'm good as long as this bottle lasts. I don't notice any icky smell from it....it's call Clean and Fresh or something like that.

I'm seriously considering buying some Charlie's to clean dipes. But what's the world coming to when you have to go online to buy everything you want? (cloth dipes, detergent, ...)
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #13
siberian

I guess I'll be ordering detergent online too! With my hard water, I feel like I have to make a choice between build-up or stinky diapers... I'm not sure which is worse at this point!
Old 07-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

noone know if tesco washing powder is ok. i am becoming a cloth diaperer this week. do u even have a tesco supermarket where u r???

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
Mamaka
Deactivated

Mamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond reputeMamaka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu
noone know if tesco washing powder is ok. i am becoming a cloth diaperer this week. do u even have a tesco supermarket where u r???
not in the US, have only seen Tesco in Europe (shopped there every week when living in Slovakia, such pleasant memories ). Have you checked in the ingredients to see if it checks out as ok for cloth nappies?
Mamaka is offline   Reply With Quote