Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 04-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #16
Irene

Default Re: LGP week one day 4

((((palil))))

Quote:
I realized that my pattern has been to try to tell myself through thinking that I "shouldn't" feel a certain way. Well, I have already done the emotion part--best to just accept that and decide how to respond.
yeah, thats what I was trying to say but you said it so much better and shorter than I did
Old 04-21-2005, 06:21 PM   #17
phermion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
In "Boundaries" Cloud and Townsend talk about upset being a signal that a boundary is being crossed. That has been my experience. Sometimes that means I have to proactively prepare a way to protect my boundary the next time (or that time) and sometimes it means I have to choose to lay down the boundary until I can do something about it (usually what happens when nursing unless it's an emergency )
So, if I'm upset about something, then a boundary of mine has been crossed and I need to evaluate whether it is a valid boundary and move it accordingly? Am I getting it? How does this look? Say I have been working on the house all day - and Dh comes home and the first thing he asks about is the one thing I haven't done yet. I am upset and feeling pretty lousy. What does this say about my boundary and what should I do? "I'm upset and it's ok" and move on? Is this even a good example? (I really wish I could read the book!! )
Old 04-21-2005, 06:30 PM   #18
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute

About upset and boundaries--so emotions (big feelings) are a signal that a boundary is being crossed. Are we saying then that we don't "choose" to be or not be upset, but we choose how that emotion is expressed?

OHHHHHHH Emotion is NOT a response. It is. A response is what I do based on choosing. Would a reaction, then, be what I do when I let myself be a victim at the mercy of my emotions??

Bear with me--a life history of stuffing and denying feelings makes me SLOW
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #19
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here is a big one for me - how do you express anger more appropriately (other than throwing the nearest object or yelling to the wind ).

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
Miss Priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage

This reminds me of the Serenity Prayer...
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

I know that when I am upset, sometimes I can change the situation, but many times I can't, and not letting my emotions "run me" makes bad situations better...

I agree. Also, the rest of the serenity prayer helps me with this also... the prayer continues after the above...
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
Taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it;
Trusting that You will make all things right
if I surrender to Your will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in the life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 PM   #21
Miss Priss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyke
Okay, here is a big one for me - how do you express anger more appropriately (other than throwing the nearest object or yelling to the wind ).
I am finding it's helping me to blow- literally, take in a bunch of air through my nose, and blow it out my mouth with my eyes close to calm down... then saying that I am angry, and what I am angry about, and seeking solutions then.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #22
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrodcdoula
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletyke
I am finding it's helping me to blow- literally, take in a bunch of air through my nose, and blow it out my mouth with my eyes close to calm down... then saying that I am angry, and what I am angry about, and seeking solutions then.
I will try that.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #23
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phermion
So, if I'm upset about something, then a boundary of mine has been crossed and I need to evaluate whether it is a valid boundary and move it accordingly? Am I getting it?
YES!

Quote:
How does this look? Say I have been working on the house all day - and Dh comes home and the first thing he asks about is the one thing I haven't done yet. I am upset and feeling pretty lousy. What does this say about my boundary and what should I do?
Yes, this is a boundary being crossed. You are upset because you feel taken for granted and unappreciated. The boundary is related to what you do and what you're willing to do without feeling appreciated. A comparable parent/child example would be a child demanding a sandwich. You can set your boundary by either saying, "That is not how we get what we want. I will not be talked to that way." or you can say, "I'd be happy to make you a sandwich. Can you ask in a way that helps me to feel appreciated?" So, back to dh . . . I would probably want to say, "You jerk, you have to focus on the one thing I haven't done!" but then I'd reflect my own feelings in my head and say, "I feel unappreciated." And then I'd assign a positive intent and tell myself, "He doesn't know how I feel until I tell him. He isn't the kind of guy who tries to upset me and he is usually very appreciative." So then I'd say to him something like, "You know, I feel very unappreciated right now. I've worked hard on the house all day and the only thing I haven't gotten to is the one thing you asked me about. I'd planned on doing it ________. If you need it done now maybe you could do it, or we can tackle it real quick together." (or something along those lines that shares my feelings as well as outlines what I am willing to do about the issue.)
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #24
Irene

Quote:
I do this little opera singing/yell thing, its funny, it lightens my mood, and the kids laugh too, which tends to diffuse my anger and I can think straight. its hard to describe on the computer though :P
Old 04-22-2005, 05:28 AM   #25
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I love the ideas... blowing and singing! I'll have to try those because lately I've been yelling and I threw something the other day! I feel like I'm behaving like my 3 yo!! I don't usually have such a problem w/ this...
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #26
phermion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
Quote:
Originally Posted by phermion
So, if I'm upset about something, then a boundary of mine has been crossed and I need to evaluate whether it is a valid boundary and move it accordingly? Am I getting it?
YES!

Quote:
How does this look? Say I have been working on the house all day - and Dh comes home and the first thing he asks about is the one thing I haven't done yet. I am upset and feeling pretty lousy. What does this say about my boundary and what should I do?
Yes, this is a boundary being crossed. You are upset because you feel taken for granted and unappreciated. The boundary is related to what you do and what you're willing to do without feeling appreciated. A comparable parent/child example would be a child demanding a sandwich. You can set your boundary by either saying, "That is not how we get what we want. I will not be talked to that way." or you can say, "I'd be happy to make you a sandwich. Can you ask in a way that helps me to feel appreciated?" So, back to dh . . . I would probably want to say, "You jerk, you have to focus on the one thing I haven't done!" but then I'd reflect my own feelings in my head and say, "I feel unappreciated." And then I'd assign a positive intent and tell myself, "He doesn't know how I feel until I tell him. He isn't the kind of guy who tries to upset me and he is usually very appreciative." So then I'd say to him something like, "You know, I feel very unappreciated right now. I've worked hard on the house all day and the only thing I haven't gotten to is the one thing you asked me about. I'd planned on doing it ________. If you need it done now maybe you could do it, or we can tackle it real quick together." (or something along those lines that shares my feelings as well as outlines what I am willing to do about the issue.)
Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #27
monkeylicious
Rose Garden

here we go!

monkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of lightmonkeylicious is a glorious beacon of light

okay ladies, how is everybody doing that is crrently reading?

i'm just at my second week back to work and dh on nights... so, i have had a hard time keeping the book/concepts in mind during the day. it also seems that dd has been more agreeable this week. though at 13 mo, i feel alot of the skills are too verbal for her.

jennifer
mama to an angel in heaven - july 2005
mama to Evangeline aka evie(licious) - june 2007
monkeylicious is offline   Reply With Quote