Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sometimes I feel like I am missing something

Perhaps it's because I travel in such crunchy circles online, but I really don't think we have any food allergies in our family.

I read so much about dairy intolerance and grain intolerance and all manner of food issues, and I feel like, I don't know, maybe I'm a total dummy or something. We all have regular intestinal workings, no eczema, no out of control behavior issues . . . what am I missing? Are there other symptoms of food allergies I should be looking for? We are pretty mainstream in our eating - mostly whole foods.

Is it possible to have an allergy-free family, or am I, in my ignorance, not serving my family faithfully in this area?

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sometimes I feel like I am missing something

i sometimes wonder this about us too. I thin kit is possible to have an allergy free family and you're lucky if you do. its not something that you need to beat yourself up about. im sure others will chime in with things you can be looking for to put your mind at rest if it helps.

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Living My Dream For This Useful Post:
SortaCrunchy (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't tested but I'm nearly positive neither ds nor I have any food allergies/intolerances. I'm also suspicious dh has issues with gluten or wheat or something--because his two siblings do, and because his symptoms seem to indicate that.
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's completely possible to be allergy free! A lot of the reason, I feel, you run into so many people with allergies in their family in natural circles is that a lot of them FIND the natural/crunchy circles in searching for ways to deal with allergies!
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (02-15-2010), Rabbit (02-15-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoJGJ View Post
It's completely possible to be allergy free! A lot of the reason, I feel, you run into so many people with allergies in their family in natural circles is that a lot of them FIND the natural/crunchy circles in searching for ways to deal with allergies!
relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I meant to say that in my OP! I think that is very true. Good, good point.

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Living My Dream
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

*Dream*Believe*Achieve*

Living My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond reputeLiving My Dream has a reputation beyond repute

I think as well, crunchy places are more willing to care and help as apposed to judge and think you're being silly

Living My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Living My Dream For This Useful Post:
MomtoJGJ (02-15-2010), Rabbit (02-15-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-15-2010)
Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes! This was my experience.

If there are allergies, you'll know something is not right even if you don't immediately think "this seems allergy related".

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

The Following User Says Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

I have wondered the exact same thing before! Thanks for posting this!

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amyhntr2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

Household of 10....

one child has 2 bizarre allergies, Zithromax and carraway seeds. Both cause hives, basic, classic allergies.

The only other allergies in this family is ME. I'm a perfect example of why less is best. I'm allergic to have the antibiotics known to man, several other medications used for other issues and 3 years ago I finally started wracking up food allergies. Of course, I tend to just stop breathing with my allergies versus behavioral issues.

I'm so very, terribly grateful that the kids have almost no allergies, only the one child, only 2 allergies and the food allergy is not significant nor common. I'm a mess. So, I figure I balance how easy they are with my issues.

Its taught me to be super concious of my friends battling food allergies because until 3 years ago there were NO food allergies in our house and I truly didn't get it.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TestifyToLove For This Useful Post: