Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Atarah

Default psychological torture as 'creative correction'

My dh and I help clean a church for some extra $. When dusting the books in the library I find myself tempted by the books talked about here (that I've previously not had the desire to read). This week's 5 minute waste of my time was the bible study version of "Creative Correction" (by Lisa Whelchel, published by FOTF).

I only read a few of her 'creative' ideas, but I was immediately struck by how similar her suggestions are to psychological torture.

I went through prisoner of war training when I was in the military. It was in the early 90s (pre-Gulf War I), and much of the tactics used were those of Vietman era P.O.W.s. Some of the instructors had been P.O.W.s. During our training, they did not/were not able to physically torture us (there where things they did that caused minor pain to indicate, had it been a 'real' situation, when they would be dislocating our shoulders or hanging us up by our toes or the like). They did, however do a large amount of 'psychological' torture - all of which are mentioned in one form or another in the book:

deny food
deny use of electricity
hand cuff you to another person
blindfold
have stand in a corner with nose high on the wall - if nose drops below a certain line, add to the time, but don't explain why
control use of toilet facilities (even if just to 'make a point who's in charge')
mock you while they do these things to you

It's all 'crazing-making' stuff. It's supposed to be crazy-making stuff. As a prisoner of war, they are trying to completely break your will so you will do exactly what they want, when they want you to do it. We were adults, and knew what we were getting into. Prior to the exercise, we went through classroom training to learn how to resist the crazy-making. How to maintain your self-will when someone has complete control over you. How to fight so you don't actually go crazy. We knew the exercise would last no longer than 96 hours, and it was a miserable 4 days. But after it I was much better equipped had I ever become a P.O.W.

Admittedly, I was looking for the 'worst' examples in my 5 minutes (I had a job to do, afterall). But how can these things be justified as 'biblical'? Why would we want to treat our children like they are an 'enemy combatant'? Is striving for 'absolute control' of our children the least bit rational?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (03-13-2011), KSL (03-18-2011), L-Boogie (03-30-2011), malakoa (03-18-2011), nadezhda (03-10-2011), newday (03-08-2011), Peridot (03-07-2011), Quiteria (03-07-2011), Rose5000 (03-30-2011), StrangeTraveller (03-30-2011), TenderLovingWillow (03-19-2011)
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: psychological torture as 'creative correction'

ITU - I felt similar after reading exerts in her book. They're not creative - they're just plain mean & adversarial. It's sad, b/c her book is widely promoted as it's endorsed by FOTF.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

thank you for that unique perspective. It confirms what I've always felt about the book
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Chris3jam

This makes me want to go talk to our assistant pastor (and pastor), who recommends this book in his "families under construction" class.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Very, very sad.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

That is so very insightful! I read the book but never thought of any of that. Of course I've never had POW training, but still. It really is all about control, as is so much punitive parenting. What I find unsettling about that book is that in between these chapters about various control techniques are lovely lists of Bible verses to discuss with your children as they struggle with character issues. That's confusing for the parent reading it and trying to sort it all out. And one other thing sticks in my mind. She has her son make her bed every morning. In my sons that would breed resentment. What do you think about that, Atarah?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for confirming that this book is every bit as barbaric as I thought it was the first time I read it. I had a visceral reaction to this book. I thought it was my PTSD acting up because of that horrible story about her daughter Haven asking to be spanked...that story made my blood run cold, talk about setting a child up to become the perfect victim of domestic violence...I'm glad it wasn't "just me"
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teribear For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-18-2011), teamommy (03-06-2011)
Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 PM   #8
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for sharing that perspective.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

I remember Dave Roever wrote about some of the training they did in Welcome Home, Davey.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

So... um... Atarah. Have you read the whole book yet? I'm dying to hear your full, revised thoughts.

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
Atarah

Thanks for the

It's not an easy book for me to read for lots of reasons.....
Old 07-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Chris3jam

Quote:
She has her son make her bed every morning. In my sons that would breed resentment. What do you think about that, Atarah?
Oh, my. I don't remember that. I'm not Atarah, but, what is the reason she gives for that? That doesn't even make sense.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

She's training him to help around the house, do chores. I think I'd come across as lazy if I had my boys make my bed. I feel like I'm setting a good example when I do things I expect them to do for themselves.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (03-07-2011), gpsings (03-30-2011), Johns_Gal (03-07-2011), joyousTXmama (03-06-2011), Maggirayne (03-18-2011), Quiteria (03-07-2011)
Old 07-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
apmommyto4

I met her in person, and I got cold chills when she snickered about how her children's birthdays were "bittersweet", because they when they got spanked as punishment, they got a "spank" for every year of age.

I also still can't get over her putting Tabasco sauce on her son's toungue for lying. Or her daugher asking to be spanked when she was 2 or 3 or so. Or how she says that she homeschools when they haven't homeschooled since she started writing these crazy books all the time! arghh......I need to go to another post!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
BHope
Rose Garden

Finding the Good

BHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond reputeBHope has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
deny food
deny use of electricity
hand cuff you to another person
blindfold
have stand in a corner with nose high on the wall - if nose drops below a certain line, add to the time, but don't explain why
control use of toilet facilities (even if just to 'make a point who's in charge')
mock you while they do these things to you
Seriously, those things are in the book? Or were those things part of the POW training that were similiar to suggestions in the book?

DD1 (8 years old)
DD2 (6 years old)
DD3 (4.5 years old)

Eternally missing DFS3 (stored safely in our hearts) and DFS1
Praying for Little R as she transitions into a new family.
May you always know God's love and His comfort.
BHope is offline   Reply With Quote