Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about what car to buy. ETA: SUV vs minivan?

It's time to at least do some searching about a new or new to me car.

I have a 2007 Odyssey with 158,000 miles. It's doing okay but had about a $250 repair in December. A couple other things that were $300ish over the past year or two. The receptionist at our mechanic's agreed with dh that it's time to start thinking about it.

I really wanted to keep it 2 more years then I probably won't need a van. Not that I don't like my van.

If I got something now, I'd most likely get another Oydssey, either new or a few years old.

I could look at a smaller SUV too. need to compare prices and gas mileage.

Right now I pick up my 2 dd's and a friend from school plus have my 7 yr old and baby I watch. I need all the room!

I've thought maybe Honda Pilot or Chevy Traverse. My parent's have a Chevy Equinox and that is too small for me right now.

Auto receptionist did say to check on where the battery is and where the wheel locks are (are they with the car if it's used?) and to lay hands on the spare tire. Said some cars don't come with a spare tire, just a can of run flat.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

Looking on Kelley Blue Book, Odyssey and Pilot are about the same price.

I was thinking we wait until December and get me something and give the van to dd1. But I do take a trip from SC to VA and MD in the summer.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10

Last edited by kiloyd; 01-16-2020 at 07:31 AM.
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about what car to buy.

I really really like my Ford Transit connect. It does come up when looking for pasenger cars some.times because no it is also a cargo van. I love it. It doesn't haveall the bells and whistles that the odecy does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Sweet Life
Rose Garden

Sweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond reputeSweet Life has a reputation beyond repute

JMO but those sound like reasonable preventive maintenance and repair costs and Odysseys are generally really great vehicles. I don't agree with your mechanic's receptionists assessment. Going to a 4WD like Pilot actually will cost you more in maintenance and gas costs. 4WDS suck the dollars in maintenance and tires!!! Why pay more for a newer Odyssey if yours is reasonably sufficient? We have a Pilot and have had 3 Odysseys. Honestly it doesn't sound like a lemon and mini vans are awesome for toting kids and random things around even if not routine. I'd keep it for 2 years and revisit then. My two cents!
2sunshines (01-15-2020), ECingMama (01-15-2020), graciousmomma (01-15-2020), kiloyd (01-15-2020), Lady Grey (01-16-2020), Lady TS (01-16-2020), Llee (01-15-2020), MaybeGracie (01-14-2020), twoplustwo (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 2003 Odyssey that got regular maintenance every 3,500 miles and per manufacturer schedule but still unexpectedly died out of nowhere at about 164,000. Apparently it's not that unusual for that generation of Odysseys, but I'm not sure if 2007 is the same generation.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), twoplustwo (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about what car to buy.

I would get a Toyota if you can. Mine didn’t need a single thing other than tires, oil changes, wipers, and a belt or two until it hit 200k. This seems to be pretty common from talking to other Toyota owners.

Those do seem like reasonable repair costs to me for something with that mileage. Unless the mechanic specifically told you to expect expensive repairs soon, I would lean towards trying to get another couple of years out of it depending on how many miles you put on a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

Last edited by sweetpeasmommy; 01-14-2020 at 09:44 PM.
sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), Llee (01-15-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn’t sound terrible. We had to put 3k into our Odyssey a year ago. I don’t know that you need to replace it.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), twoplustwo (01-15-2020), Virginia (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 03:30 AM   #7
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

I agree, those repair costs sound reasonable for that age/mileage. But if you want to replace it, or additional/more expensive repairs start coming up, I love my 2016 Odyssey. I test drove (in 2016) a brand new Odyssey, Pilot, and Toyota Highlander and Sienna. Odyssey was my preference by far, but I had been driving an Accord, so it was most similar. Vans usually give the best passenger room while still having reasonable cargo room. My SIL has a new VW Atlas and I think she loves it; apparently it still has good cargo room even when the third row seats are up. Gas mileage always suffers in around town driving, which is most of what I do.

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), Llee (01-15-2020), Virginia (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yea, I'd not even be thinking about a new vehicle with yours and the mileage. Your costs are pretty inexpensive for maintenance of a vehicle. Honda's typically will run for MANY more miles. Obviously, it's not a guarantee.

One thing to DEFINITELY look at though is whether or not the timing belt has been replaced. I forget what mileage that is needed but that is a VITAL maintenance task on the odysees. We learned that when our timing belt broke and in the process ruined the whole engine. It is recommended to be replaced every 100k miles, so it's possible you're on your 2nd, but if not, then definitely look in to getting that replaced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), Llee (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with much of the above (I type as I sit in my 2003 Toyota Corolla that I pay lots for repairs on but still less than buying a new car). I would try to get some more mileage and use from it, personally.

But I also totally understand the frustration of constantly paying for repairs and wanting a newer car... completely and totally get it. Because I think that every time I take my car to the shop and there is something ELSE wrong with it. Or every time I get into my husband’s 2015 Honda Accord that like actually as seat warmers and a touch screen

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #10
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

One positive in going 2016 or newer is that safety features have totally been revamped. Many features that prevent collision are standard on 2016 and newer.

I'm a pretty safe driver, but really lived the blind spot sensors, lane shift indicator, and standard backup camera when I drove a rental recently, as blind spots and backing up make me nervous.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

Safety features are a huge plus on newer vehicles in my opinion. That doesn’t have to be a deciding factor on when you get a new car, but might contribute to deciding what model year you get. I greatly benefit from the backup camera on my Odyssey. I don’t have every safety feature that would be available in a 2019-2020 vehicle, but I do use the backup camera and mine also has a camera on the right hand mirror as well. I turned off the lane departure warning as it is really touchy tho

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (01-15-2020), kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the odd one out who doesn’t like the safety features? I CANNOT parallel park DH’s car— I have to use the mirrors instead of the camera lol. I am a weirdo.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-16-2020), kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #13
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Yea, I'd not even be thinking about a new vehicle with yours and the mileage. Your costs are pretty inexpensive for maintenance of a vehicle. Honda's typically will run for MANY more miles. Obviously, it's not a guarantee.

One thing to DEFINITELY look at though is whether or not the timing belt has been replaced. I forget what mileage that is needed but that is a VITAL maintenance task on the odysees. We learned that when our timing belt broke and in the process ruined the whole engine. It is recommended to be replaced every 100k miles, so it's possible you're on your 2nd, but if not, then definitely look in to getting that replaced.
Did that just over 100,000miles. Glad a friend told me or we would have never known to do it!

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Am I the odd one out who doesn’t like the safety features? I CANNOT parallel park DH’s car— I have to use the mirrors instead of the camera lol. I am a weirdo.

I can't parallel park anyway.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Did that just over 100,000miles. Glad a friend told me or we would have never known to do it!

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

I can't parallel park anyway.

I couldn’t until I moved to the city I live in, and now it is necessity

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I can parallel park a car just fine. Parallel parking a van is impossible.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (01-15-2020), MudPies (01-15-2020), Pragmatist (01-17-2020)