Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think I may have found another book to recommend

Loving our children on Purpose by Danny Silk

I HAVE NOT READ IT YET so if it is bad, please comment below!! But so far it looks totally GCM, but great for outreach because it comes from within the Christian mainstream (well, mainstream-ish; he's from Bethel church in Redding, CA and they're at the center of a huge revival so it's not totally typical ).

Just thought I'd put it out there for comments; I'm going to start reading it now, anyone who wants to read / comment along please do

~ Shalom ~
Tuesdayschild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuesdayschild For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (11-18-2013)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I may have found another book to recommend

It's awesome. I'm reading it right now and he has amazing things to say. It's kind of like Love and Logic Light. I know he did spank his first but he doesn't support spanking.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot Bookworm For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (03-31-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Tuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond reputeTuesdayschild has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i just got to a bit where he reassures the readers he's not going to take away their spanking, but then everything from then on is about how to parent without punishing and maintaining the heart connection

It's subversive GBD

I'm about half-way now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tuesdayschild For This Useful Post:
Happygrl (04-04-2012), Llee (11-17-2013), Luciola (11-17-2013), PaperMomma (03-31-2012), Sparrow (03-31-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
amyhntr2
Rose Bouquet

amyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to allamyhntr2 is a name known to all

A couple of my irl friends were recommending it the other day. One thing they talked about that perked my ears up was having a toolbox filled with different tools. If someone came to build your house with only 15 different sized hammers you'd fire them! Yet that exactly what many parents have for the task of raising their child.

Wife to the life of the party Brad
Mommy to I 6/09 and E 10/11 born at home
Enjoying living in SC and seeing where my journey leads next

amyhntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
mommasgirl
Rose Bouquet

mommasgirl is a glorious beacon of lightmommasgirl is a glorious beacon of lightmommasgirl is a glorious beacon of lightmommasgirl is a glorious beacon of lightmommasgirl is a glorious beacon of lightmommasgirl is a glorious beacon of light

I've read it, a few times over I loved it. It was a really great first GBD book to read to help us change out mindset.
and our little peanut (dd2) since May 2010
mommasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
PaperMomma
Rose Garden

PaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond reputePaperMomma has a reputation beyond repute

maybe I should get this for DH then!

Momma to
"Sister" 5yo
"Scoomer" 3yo
PaperMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperMomma For This Useful Post:
On Fire (11-17-2013)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
NewCovenantMama
Climbing Rose

NewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond reputeNewCovenantMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love the way he explains why a punishment-based, control-based approach is harmful. He's not completely anti-spanking, but he's certainly not big on it. I also like his "think through it" approach, and the way he boldly speaks out on the issue of the kind of atmosphere we create with our words. He's very much into prioritizing emotional connection with our kids.
NewCovenantMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewCovenantMama For This Useful Post:
On Fire (11-17-2013)
Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

He does list spanking as a "tool" in his book, but says outright it's not how most people approach spanking (his example is a firm swat on a much older child for "rebellion"). It left me kind of and on why he put it in there, other then to appeal to punitive parents. I do think if someone were to pick up his book, and actually follow the relational advice, then it would help change the mindset that often leads to spanking. I do think it can be a helpful "gateway" book to GBD to people who are more resistant.
On Fire (11-17-2013)
Old 04-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #9
SalH
Rose Trellis

SalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond reputeSalH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thread and the discussion of this title, a friend of mine is reading the book and I think has promised to send me a copy.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Tuesdayschild
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Have I forgotten anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestjewel View Post
He does list spanking as a "tool" in his book, but says outright it's not how most people approach spanking (his example is a firm swat on a much older child for "rebellion"). It left me kind of and on why he put it in there, other then to appeal to punitive parents. I do think if someone were to pick up his book, and actually follow the relational advice, then it would help change the mindset that often leads to spanking. I do think it can be a helpful "gateway" book to GBD to people who are more resistant.
I've now finished it, and this particular passage also left me although it is clear he did not hurt his son, or damage their connection in any way with this incident. What I also found worrying was that there didn't seem to be a lot of room for acknowledging feelings and helping kids develop emotional intelligence, a vocabulary to describe what they feel and told for expressing that in a healthy way. It's very much: are you going to be fun to be with or do you need to go away until you can be fun? So I didn't agree with that, and it actually bugged me a lot more than that one spanking example

Overall though, I would still highly recommend the book, especially as gateway book (as mentioned above) and a way to help people move out of the punitive mindset. He does the 'why-to' of that really really well, imho.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuesdayschild For This Useful Post:
On Fire (11-17-2013), purpledaisy (11-28-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
On Fire
Rose Bush

On Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesdayschild View Post
I've now finished it, and this particular passage also left me although it is clear he did not hurt his son, or damage their connection in any way with this incident. What I also found worrying was that there didn't seem to be a lot of room for acknowledging feelings and helping kids develop emotional intelligence, a vocabulary to describe what they feel and told for expressing that in a healthy way. It's very much: are you going to be fun to be with or do you need to go away until you can be fun? So I didn't agree with that, and it actually bugged me a lot more than that one spanking example

Overall though, I would still highly recommend the book, especially as gateway book (as mentioned above) and a way to help people move out of the punitive mindset. He does the 'why-to' of that really really well, imho.

I'm hoping to appeal to the fact it's written by a male Christian who's not pro-punitive (as a 'gateway') and pro-connection for my DH for Christmas so ordered it this morning. My husband's read nothing/very little on parenting and says he 'doesn't read' (unless it's to pass his voluntary Fire Service exams lol). Some of Danny's posts on FB seem a bit inconsistent (perhaps a bit insensitive and lacking emotional intelligence).

Last edited by On Fire; 11-17-2013 at 06:01 PM.
On Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
purpledaisy
Seedling Rose

purpledaisy is on a distinguished road

This post has really helped me. i read the book and loved his take on scripture and his heart for children. I loved that he is against seeking to control children (or any person, his book culture of honor is great too)

I felt that some of his tools were a bit off the mark, though :/ particularily spanking and be fun to be around 9just not representing father Gods heart well)

I think it could be a good transitional book and that he has had a real revelation about parenting from God. I'm full of hope for a move in churches towards kingdom parenting and this is a big step in the right direction
purpledaisy is offline   Reply With Quote