Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #61
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does Pearl actually teach?

I think the Pearl kids work with them in their ministry.
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #62
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneMyHeart View Post
I think the Pearl kids work with them in their ministry.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #63
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
The Ezzos are estranged from their adult children? Ok so what ages are the Pearl kids and what kind of relationship do they have from their parents?
AFA I know, they work with them in the "ministry", although I don't believe all of them live nearby. None of the girls have legal marriage licenses, because apparently their holy unions would be sullied by having government paper issued by a 'sodomite' favoring government (Yes, he does actually call on Christian couples to divorce and just shack up to protest gay marriage.) Because, you know, I'm less married and not hetero since my marriage license was issued in a country where gay couples have the same legal rights I do But I digress

Anyway...I'd never say that his methods 100% of the time produce kids who hate their parents or who don't have a relationship w/them. I mean, Ezzo promotes detachment - blanket training, crib time, CIO, get those kids in their place and let them know daddy's needs come first, by golly.

Pearl promotes loving attachment, bf, constant family engagement, dads spending time with their boys, bringing the kids alongside the family - very continuum conceptish. EXCEPT - he also promotes beating the snot out of them with a plastic rod or a tree limb or any other implement you can think of.

So it raises children who on the one hand, have experienced loving parents...and on the other hand, who have never learned to truly process an emotion or make choices for themselves. People who are taught that appearance is all, and as long as it looks good and you can smile then you must be truly happy, right?

People who escape are the exception to this type of punitive upbringing, really. Many of the kids in my generation from subcultures like the one I grew up in are just replicating this with their kids - generation upon generation too scared to question or change Or else they've rejected everything altogether and have been lost to promiscuity, drugs, alcohol, and other harmful and self-punishing behaviors

Last edited by Wonder Woman; 02-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Granola_mom (02-23-2010), hopeforchange (02-24-2010), mountainash (02-24-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #64
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Whoa! Then how do you distinguish them from GD'ers?
GD'ers don't always stay calm and speak to their children with soft tones and GD'd children don't always drop everything and obey. There is a creepy shadow in the background, something almost robotic in the children's obedience, that you will learn to distinguish.
Quote:
Interesting... the Pearl mama of my acquaintance is also a super crunchy person. She's having a home birth and I think she's planning to homeschool. She's got a DVD on herbalism that she says was made by Pearl's daughter.
Right, generally very crunchy.
Quote:
What kind of relationship do the Pearls have with their children? I thought I read somewhere on GCM that they are estranged from their adult children?
It's the Ezzos who are estranged. The Pearls still have their children completely under their control. The girls were given to "husbands" and are considered married by the "church" (their papa) but are not married by the State. They do. think and feel everything their father and/or husband tells them to. If you want more information about their daughter, Rebekah, you can Google her name. She has a statement about this, in defense of her parents, which you can easily find. I don't know the names of their other children.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #65
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Am I too conspiracy theorist or is it just that I just filed my taxes, but do the Pearls also not endorse "legal marriage" b/c it means you lose more money in taxes through the marriage penalty?
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #66
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

So confusing. Maybe I should head over to a more private forum so we can talk about this aspect in depth. Oy. *sigh*

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars

Last edited by flowermama; 02-23-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #67
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy View Post
Am I too conspiracy theorist or is it just that I just filed my taxes, but do the Pearls also not endorse "legal marriage" b/c it means you lose more money in taxes through the marriage penalty?
My pet conspiracy theory regarding the lack of legal marriage is that they believe it makes it harder for a woman to seek help if she's being abused.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (02-24-2010), Six Little Feet (02-23-2010), Treenahurricane (02-24-2010), TuneMyHeart (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #68
SortaCrunchy
Climbing Rose

SortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond reputeSortaCrunchy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
Most of the kids I grew up with are just replicating this with their kids - generation upon generation too scared to question or change
I knew literally nothing about the Pearls before the recent discussions, but when I heard that their children, particularly their daughter, work alongside them in the ministry, I had to wonder if it's because they are too scared to do otherwise.

My parents were quite punitive (Dobson style) but also very loving. It wasn't until I hit my 30s that I began to feel comfortable with expressing opinions that differed from them, particularly my dad. For many years as an adult, if I thought my dad was mad at me or disapproved a choice, I would get physically ill worrying over it. And my parents NEVER punished me in the way the Pearls would recommend.

I've been thinking a lot about their adult children this week . . .

Homemaking freelance writer & author passionate about gentle mothering, natural living, social justice and great coffee. Married to my college sweetheart and the SortaCrunchy mama to my big girls (8 and 5) and brand new (2/7/13) twin boys.

Co-author of Spirit-Led Parenting: From Fear to Freedom in Baby's First Year

SortaCrunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SortaCrunchy For This Useful Post:
Treenahurricane (02-24-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #69
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Quote:
So confusing. Maybe I should head over to a more private forum so we can talk about this aspect in depth. Oy. *sigh*
Well, let's put it this way - and yes, I know this is a public forum 2 of my siblings wholeheartedly endorse the way we were raised, and one is replicating it with his children.

The extremely punitive style of parenting has been passed down for generations. I'm the only one to stand up and say "you know what? This is c.r.a.z.y. and I refuse to treat my son like this." It doesn't mean I love my parents any less, although we aren't in relationship, haven't been for some time, and I doubt we ever will be again. It does mean that the all-or-nothing lines that get drawn meant we were unable to exist as a cohesive family, who just had some differences. And honestly, it's been gut-wrenching. I've cried and agonized and mourned over the loss of family. I wouldn't have been able to take the step to break away if not for the loving support and encouragement of my husband, and all of those here at GCM who have come alongside me and covered us in prayer as we sought God's best for our son.

We essentially have had to start over. When my son learns family history, it won't be from sitting on his grandfather's knee and hearing stories - it will be from photographs and the good times we've carefully selected to share. And it's such a lonely place to be in. It's had ripples throughout much of the extended family. It's hard.

The knowledge that it's right, and that this is the only way for us to follow God, has been what's kept us going.

It's a scary path to contemplate. It took me *years* from when I knew the day would come - I mean well over a decade - until I was finally able to remove myself completely from their sphere of influence. And so, so, so many people are stuck in a situation like that - to know that to walk away, or to admit you are questioning, means that you lose everyone you hold dear? Or worse, to not even know *how* to question, because you've never had the chance.

Last edited by flowermama; 02-23-2010 at 05:50 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Granola_mom (02-23-2010), hopeforchange (02-24-2010), momyshaver (02-23-2010), NewLeaf (02-23-2010), relizabeth (02-23-2010), RubySlippers (02-23-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-23-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-23-2010), Taedareth (02-23-2010)
The Following 3 Users Say they are praying for Wonder Woman:
mwwr (02-23-2010), SortaCrunchy (02-23-2010), Taedareth (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #70
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Wow. I hadn't even considered all those aspects. I am still trying to deal with my suppressed anger over my dad's application of physical discipline when I was a kid. But he was much more on the Dobson end of things (not that I believe he ever read a book about parenting )

To shift the focus a little - what do the Pearls teach on marital relationships? Anyone know the jist of their book, Created to be his Helpmeet?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #71
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To shift the focus a little - what do the Pearls teach on marital relationships? Anyone know the jist of their book on wives?
There is a creepy book called Created to be his Helpmeet. I haven't read it. I know it's been discussed in the Marriage Forum. From what I understand in these discussions, Debi Pearl condones abuse. She's also thinks that whatever your DH wants in the bedroom you need to fulfill. I believe this includes threesomes, etc. It's just gross.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #72
Bonnie
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bonnie has disabled reputation

One specific example is that she teaches that if your dh molests your child, you should testify against him but stay married to him and when he gets out of prison take him back open armed because by then the child will be an adult and he won't be a risk any longer. 'Cause, you know, God hates divorce.

Mauka & Makai 12/29/08

Occasional "Dorm Mom" to M the wonder student

Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #73
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
One specific example is that she teaches that if your dh molests your child, you should testify against him but stay married to him and when he gets out of prison take him back open armed because by then the child will be an adult and he won't be a risk any longer. 'Cause, you know, God hates divorce.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #74
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Someone above said that Pearls say married couples should get divorced and live together instead, so as not to be married under the same government that also allows homosexual marriage. So, do they support or not support divorce?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #75
relizabeth
Deactivated

Proverbs are proverbial.

relizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond reputerelizabeth has a reputation beyond repute

I think they support Cocoa Puffs, and being cuckoo for them.

relizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to relizabeth For This Useful Post:
brandi (02-23-2010), Six Little Feet (02-23-2010), sweetpeasmommy (02-23-2010), Treenahurricane (02-24-2010), TuneMyHeart (02-23-2010)