Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
Chris3jam

Default Will it ever completely go away?

Will that feeling ever completely go away? The one where you think that a child *should* obey the first time. That a child *should* be able to cope/handle situations. That a child *should* listen. . is 'old enough to understand'. . .etc. That ADHD doesn't exist and stricter 'discipline' and harsher treatment is necessary to drive these lessons home? That there must be vile consequences for vile behaviour, or they'll never learn? Will that insipid little whisper *ever* die off?!

I'm bombarded daily with the reality of imperfect and "damaged" children (as dh puts it ). . .and yet, there's that stupid voice. . . . .especially when I can't go places I want to go, do things I want to do, when I'm judged as an ineffective mother (especially by myself, and others' looks), and when I'm hit with the reality that I'm a failure as a mother. Especially since I don't want to share them. I don't want to have to take J to the dr. for help with his eyes. . .I should be able to do that. I don't want to (and will not) put J and A on Ritalin (or comparable substance), so I just have to live with and deal with them. I'm not a girly girl (never have been. . .dd was 6 months old before the concept of tights made me realize that I *could* out those cute dresses on her ), so I'm ill equipped to deal with all the girly whining and emotional stuff that M throws my way.

Will that stupid idiotic little voice *ever* just go away?! The one that says children should be ______ way, and if they are not, you need to make them ________ way!

(Where's the pulling out the hair emoticon?!)
Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Chris3jam

Default Will it ever completely go away?

Will that feeling ever completely go away? The one where you think that a child *should* obey the first time. That a child *should* be able to cope/handle situations. That a child *should* listen. . is 'old enough to understand'. . .etc. That ADHD doesn't exist and stricter 'discipline' and harsher treatment is necessary to drive these lessons home? That there must be vile consequences for vile behaviour, or they'll never learn? Will that insipid little whisper *ever* die off?!

I'm bombarded daily with the reality of imperfect and "damaged" children (as dh puts it ). . .and yet, there's that stupid voice. . . . .especially when I can't go places I want to go, do things I want to do, when I'm judged as an ineffective mother (especially by myself, and others' looks), and when I'm hit with the reality that I'm a failure as a mother. Especially since I don't want to share them. I don't want to have to take J to the dr. for help with his eyes. . .I should be able to do that. I don't want to (and will not) put J and A on Ritalin (or comparable substance), so I just have to live with and deal with them. I'm not a girly girl (never have been. . .dd was 6 months old before the concept of tights made me realize that I *could* out those cute dresses on her ), so I'm ill equipped to deal with all the girly whining and emotional stuff that M throws my way.

Will that stupid idiotic little voice *ever* just go away?! The one that says children should be ______ way, and if they are not, you need to make them ________ way!

(Where's the pulling out the hair emoticon?!)
Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will it ever completely go away?

Those awful influences will always be out there somewhere, and of course they exist in our heads when others aren't constantly badgering us! So, no, I don't think they will ever go away. What we have to do is have strategies for when they come up (still working on that part).

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
UltraMother
Rose Garden

UltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond reputeUltraMother has a reputation beyond repute

Those awful influences will always be out there somewhere, and of course they exist in our heads when others aren't constantly badgering us! So, no, I don't think they will ever go away. What we have to do is have strategies for when they come up (still working on that part).

Babies-they just grow on you.
UltraMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno. I pray so. I still struggle with my family of origin baggage.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno. I pray so. I still struggle with my family of origin baggage.

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

You can create healthy, happy habits. With your children. It is hard to get those thoughts completely out of your head.

Have you read Joanne's Get Off Your Butt Parenting webpage. It does tell how you can help your kids obey the first time. And it full of very helpful info. Here it is:

http: //joanneaz_2.tripod.com/positivedisciplineresourcecenter/id23.html
(Just take out the spaces.)

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
slingmamaof4
Rose Garden

slingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant futureslingmamaof4 has a brilliant future

You can create healthy, happy habits. With your children. It is hard to get those thoughts completely out of your head.

Have you read Joanne's Get Off Your Butt Parenting webpage. It does tell how you can help your kids obey the first time. And it full of very helpful info. Here it is:

http: //joanneaz_2.tripod.com/positivedisciplineresourcecenter/id23.html
(Just take out the spaces.)

Custom Photo Cards. PM me for details!

slingmamaof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I never got into the Pearls or Ezzo stuff but I still have those times of frustration when I should all over myself and my children

One thing I tell my children sometimes when they are hung up on something is, "That is not the truth. The truth is . . . " Maybe you could remind yourself what the truth is when those lies start bombarding you. I know lots of moms are helped by posting reminders around their house so they have new scripts for themselves everywhere.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I never got into the Pearls or Ezzo stuff but I still have those times of frustration when I should all over myself and my children

One thing I tell my children sometimes when they are hung up on something is, "That is not the truth. The truth is . . . " Maybe you could remind yourself what the truth is when those lies start bombarding you. I know lots of moms are helped by posting reminders around their house so they have new scripts for themselves everywhere.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's much harder to go away when you have little to no IRL support. I've been shocked at how much easier things have been since we moved to Charlotte because I know 10-12 people IRL who use positive discipline. 5 are GCM's.

Quoting Scripture really helps me too. Remember that "love is patient" quells the feelings you're describing a little.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's much harder to go away when you have little to no IRL support. I've been shocked at how much easier things have been since we moved to Charlotte because I know 10-12 people IRL who use positive discipline. 5 are GCM's.

Quoting Scripture really helps me too. Remember that "love is patient" quells the feelings you're describing a little.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #13
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

No advice, since I'm going through the same things at times too. I have tried the "Love is patient..." thing before and it seemed to help.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #14
Reva
Rose Trellis

Reva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond reputeReva has a reputation beyond repute

No advice, since I'm going through the same things at times too. I have tried the "Love is patient..." thing before and it seemed to help.
Forever missing my sweet R (HLHS) and the baby we never got to meet.
Reva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #15
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"That is not the truth. The truth is . . . " Maybe you could remind yourself what the truth is when those lies start bombarding you. I know lots of moms are helped by posting reminders around their house so they have new scripts for themselves everywhere.
This has been important to me.

The truth is, Chris, no one on earth loves your children--or could love your children--more than you do. The truth is you are communicating that love consistently--in spite of the times you are struggling. The truth is that your imperfections as a mother and your honesty about that with your children are saving your children from the bondage of perfectionism--which is truly horrid bondage. And as you look to Christ and point your children to your need for (and their need for) God's grace daily, you are modeling to them the heart of the Gospel. They NEED that, and you are giving that to them.

I can look back over the past nearly two decades and see a pattern in my life--the negative self-talk and the condemnation of being a horrible mother, horrible wife, horrible Christian--is strongest during my PMS times. *blush* When I saw that pattern connected with my hormones, I was able to say to myself, "I know this is not true. I am imperfect, but I am not horrible in these roles God has given me. I need God's grace today, and I will not listen to this negativity." Your scripts of failures may not be hormonally-connected like mine are, but when you are in a good place, look back--what triggers, what outside influences do you see on this? If you can see a pattern, then you can put reminders in place to help you for those times when you know you will be most vulnerable.

*huuuuuug*
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote