Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #1
happy2bmama
Deactivated

happy2bmama is on a distinguished road
Default A promo of Babywise...

I just ran across thie article (You'll have to cut and paste and remove the space between norwich and bulleting)

http://www.norwich bulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060129/LIFESTYLE/601290301/1024

Apparently, there is a "new player" in town promoting the same schedule and cry it out as Ezzo - they are at:

www.raymond parenting.com (remove the space between raymond and parenting).....

I just hate all of this faddish advice being given - it's really sad to me.....
happy2bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
cklewis
Deactivated

cklewis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A promo of Babywise...

So. . . . "careful crying" is what they are calling it now. "Controlled crying" was the last term I had heard. :/

It bugs me that the Raymond's are co-opting some positive discipline terms. :/

C
cklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:36 PM   #3
fourbzboysmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bmama
Apparently, there is a "new player" in town promoting the same schedule and cry it out as Ezzo - they are at:
www.raymond parenting.com (remove the space between raymond and parenting).....
I just hate all of this faddish advice being given - it's really sad to me.....
this is so frustrating! Look at this quote from http://www.raymondparenting.com/seminars.html
"Learning what is normal for a child (and an adult), what to expect, what to worry about and what not to worry about - all are available through Kitty's enlightened courses."
The picture DIRECTLY above this quote "Learning what is NORMAL" (emphasis mine) is a picture of a baby being fed a BOTTLE!!! how is that "normal"???

just venting. and yes I know that there are some moms who end up bottle feeding not by choice... but still... breastfeeding is what is natural/normal. Things like this drive me crazy!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Radosny Matka
Rose Garden

I am so blessed!

Radosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond reputeRadosny Matka has a reputation beyond repute

Remembering our babies: 12/98 9/99 12/09 1/17
Radosny Matka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #5
Knitted_in_the_womb

"The only reliable way for babies to design their own self-calming strategies (thumb, fingers, blanket, rocking, settling into the corner of the crib, etc.) is through being allowed to do some careful crying..."

This is a quote from their home page.

Funny, all 4 of my kids learned self-calming strategies without doing "careful crying," but yet apparently "careful crying" is the ONLY reliable way for babies to learn to self soothe.

Of course I don't expect a 3 month old to do much self-soothing--that's why mommies were made softer than daddies, right?

They don't seem to be all bad though. Here are some other things from the website:
"We encourage parents to...
  • hold age-appropriate expectations of their child’s behaviour.
  • leave toilet training alone until after age three.
  • feed their child good food but only when the child is hungry.

Of course then there are those bottle feeding pictures. Its not just the one above the quote about "normal behavior," there is also one on the page about good nutrition for children, above a quote about the importance of feeding kids healthy food! I sent them an e-mail about the pictures, we'll see if I get a reply back.

Jenn
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #6
Lilly_of the_ Fields

Quote:
careful crying
Another nonsensical term! What on earth is "careful" about crying? It's just a way of sticking the word "care" on to imply empathy, and at the same time make it seem like leaving your child to cry is a sensitively deliberated action (akin to being 'careful' not to break something valuable). There just aren't any subtlties to leaving a child to cry; either they are distressed and being attended to appropriately, or they are not. Simple. Careful crying just sounds like a fluffy way to say 'manipulating a child's most deeply felt emotions in order to convience our own selfish lifestyles'.

Quote:
babies to design their own self-calming strategies
"Design?" What do they do, get a drafting board out? Conference with their creative team? Puleeeease!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Shoshoi, your joke about the drafting table made me smile and it also made me think...and when I think, it sometimes leads me to get on my

I don't know if the site is promoting itself as a Christian approach or not. All I can say is the idea of leaving people alone so they can design their own self-calming strategies lacks a major hallmark of following Christ, and that is getting involved with people who are suffering. I hope and pray that more and more Christian parents will see Christian parenting of babies as a ministry, and be encouraged that it's ok to calm your own babies, and be glad you can extend God's love and care to them in that way. Your own flesh and blood should not have to design a strategy to self-calm because no one will come, any more than the man beaten and left for dead in the parable of the good Samaritan should be left a little longer to see if he can design his own strategy for self-woundtending.

katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Beyond Blessed
Deactivated

Beyond Blessed is on a distinguished road

Kathy - - can I quote you on my blog?
Beyond Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
cklewis
Deactivated

cklewis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind
All I can say is the idea of leaving people alone so they can design their own self-calming strategies lacks a major hallmark of following Christ, and that is getting involved with people who are suffering.
Oh my word! That is SO true! I never thought of it like that. Thank you for stating it so poignantly.

C
cklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can quote me...
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

Go Kathy! I'm gonna write that out and stick it on my fridge! Maybe I'll make little slips of paper and hand them out at church...

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 AM   #12
Lilly_of the_ Fields

Quote:
Your own flesh and blood should not have to design a strategy to self-calm because no one will come, any more than the man beaten and left for dead in the parable of the good Samaritan should be left a little longer to see if he can design his own strategy for self-woundtending.
Thankyou for saying that - it makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Did you see the follow up?

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/...602120301/1024

Quote:
After my last column about napping, readers expressed their concerns about the book "Baby Wise" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam. These readers introduced me to the controversial issues surrounding this resource and a helpful Web site, www.ezzo.info, which has a great deal of information regarding the authors' techniques and lack of expertise.

. . .

Several readers shared their concerns about alerting new mothers to this information and cautioned me to do extensive research on any method that I'm considering trying in the future.

For me, this advice clearly demonstrates the kind of caring attitudes that experienced moms share with new moms such as myself.

. . .

Although it may have highlighted my naivete in being a new mom -- and new columnist --to advocate a resource without fully researching it, it was well worth getting advice from readers and finding even more resources.
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #14
Cheyenne
Rose Garden

Cheyenne has a spectacular aura aboutCheyenne has a spectacular aura about

Learning how to eat Paleo.

And mom to
Joshua 16 yr old ds (SID, borderline anxiety disorder, High Functioning on the Autistic spectrum)
Kaitlyn 13yr old dd
Emily 11 yrs old dd (SID)
Bethany 9 yrs old dd

Homeschooling mom
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #15
BornFreeBaby
Rose Trellis

BornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the roughBornFreeBaby is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail
Go Kathy! I'm gonna write that out and stick it on my fridge! Maybe I'll make little slips of paper and hand them out at church...
OT:
He he. I would love to do that at my church- but it would have to be 'approved' by the pastor/staff. Ofcourse that's not what they teach at my church (GKGW TTAC is more their style). That reminds me that I still need to look for a new church...
BornFreeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote