Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
motherwqsalways4

Default Stupid question????

Does this belong here?

What am I to do with my old punitive books?
Toss, burn....
I couldn't imagine sending them to the library or selling them.
I almost sold them as I needed money for my 'new' life but had a moment of clarity on how much damage they have done in my family--how much more could they do in anothers? Same with the library.
So is it wrong to toss or burn?

So ya probably a brain dead rambling!

In Christ
Tabitha

p.s. Where can I get some of the suggested books to add to my bookshelf VERY inexspensively?
I've read many from the library but would like ones on hand for reference and to prayerfully hand out.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid question????

I've kept all mine :/ I figure one day ill get around to burning them. I've been tempted to sell too, esp when im totally broke, but im w/ ya, just can't do it!

i'd suggest checking half.com/ebay
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

some women have found they make great resources when people are asking about them--to make sure you're quoting what the author really says about this or that.

You can try half.com or book resale shops for inexpensive books
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #4
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not interested in keeping them as a resource, maybe offer them up to someone who would be interested. One of the things I discovered after many years of debating Ezzo on a different board, is that many moms mentally edit books like Ezzo. It's too extreme, so they just forget they read it and then they deny Ezzo wrote it. If you can cite them page numbers and quotes, they are forced to reconsider their support of his teachings.

Other than that, I think a burning with much ceremony and celebration is a great idea.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Personally, I know that for a long time it was very good for me to NOT have any punitive materials around. They are so insiduous, and would creep into my thinking. I tore up some, and donated others to mamas I knew who wanted them as references and were less likely to be impacted by them.

However, as we've started unpacking our boxes from storage (5 years!) I've found I had quite a LOT of yucky punitive books. You name it, it's probably in a box out in my garage. I think I'll pack them away in one of those boxes, just in case I need them as a reference in the future. But I definitely don't want them on my shelves or to pass them along.

Oh! And I've picked up some books that I put on my wishlist at the Goodwill Bookstore. We've got a Goodwill devoted entirely to books here. *grin* Each of the local libraries also has a little "Friends of the Library" store that has great books and deals from books donated that they don't need for their shelves or discarded books.

TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
tree_hugger

I tossed my 2 Ezzo and 1 Dobson books, because I dodn't want anyone else to read them.

But then Meli said she wished I'd kept them so she could persue them for reference. TBH, though, it's best for me not to have them in the house at all.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
phathui5
Rose Bouquet

Midwife, Mom of Five

phathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to allphathui5 is a name known to all

"So is it wrong to toss or burn?"

Why just pick one?
phathui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
Katiebug
Rose Trellis

Katiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to beholdKatiebug is a splendid one to behold

I personally threw my Ezzo stuff in the recycling bin marked "Mixed Paper"...with the junk mail I wouldn't be comfortable selling them or giving them to charity. Also, when I see that stuff at thrift stores I buy them to toss out.
J June 2003
R June 2005
A July 2010
Katiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Paz
Deactivated

Paz is on a distinguished road

You could write in the margins, pointing out the lies, Scripture twists, etc., and then maybe stick in a tri-fold brochure or two, available at www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf , and then sell them on ebay or half.com as "Some Notes Written Inside." Just an idea.
Paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #10
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also, when I see that stuff at thrift stores I buy them to toss out.
Me, too. And I tell the cashier about them. "Oh, Babywise is so popular in this area. But it's bad for babies and mothers. Failure to thrive, milk supply lost. I'm buying it so some new mother doesn't have the problems we had. . ." I figure, she may pass along that message to someone who buys a copy I don't. (Or better yet, toss them so I don't have to buy them!)

Quote:
You could write in the margins, pointing out the lies, Scripture twists, etc., and then maybe stick in a tri-fold brochure or two, available at www.ezzo.info/trifoldbrochure.pdf , and then sell them on ebay or half.com as "Some Notes Written Inside."
Hey! Not a bad idea!
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #11
happy2bmama
Deactivated

happy2bmama is on a distinguished road

What books do you have? I might be interested in buying them. I've been "collecting" some of them so that I truly can debate folks on the Internet regarding some of the more punitive stuff. I've bought several used books lately off of ebay and amazon.com marketplace (used books).
happy2bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 PM   #12
Tengokujin
Rose Trellis

Citizen of Heaven

Tengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond reputeTengokujin has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I chucked my copy of Tripp's "Shepherding a Child's Heart" because I don'thave room for stuff I don't use, and I couldn't in good conscience give it to anyone or sell it.

I also got it removed from the church library--quite easily too. I just asked the woman in charge (a gentle mommy BTW) "Hae you read this? He spanks babies...." and poof!! It was gone.

If you can possible afford it, my vote is chuck it.
Mom of Jason, DOB 08/25/03 and David, DOB 04/07/07, and DS#3 due May 1st

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

Tengokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #13
lumpofclay

I kept mine for a while, but then decided to throw them out. It was better for me to not have them in the house. They didn't tempt me so much, as in wanting to follow their program. But their general attitude towards children (us vs. them, especially) would creep in my head, whenever I would remember them. (They were hidden behind other books on the bookshelf.) I finally decided I wasn't really going to debate someone over the books. I'd rather speak the truth and encourage them, than point out the wrong in their "way of parenting", yk? That's just *me* though.