Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Oh Mamas!! I am so sad and sick to my stomach!!!

I honestly don't know how you endured that for so long I'd have had to leave.

I could not be around that type of abusive treatment of children and I couldn't let my children experience/witness it. I would most assuredly not tolerate someone telling me they would spank my child if he were theirs.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Irene

that is so sad I wouldnt have been able to tolerate it. I usually leave the room in tears if someone is talking about cio I wouldnt be able to be friends with her either... so very very sad

Old 04-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #18
Chris3jam

I

deleted. I'm too mad.

Old 04-19-2005, 04:52 PM   #19
Spyder

I don't like Ezzo - but he would not advocate that. Seriously. I used Ezzo with my first and probably hate him as much as any of you for the havoc he gave us with nursing ... but he would not have condoned that particular episode. That is disturbing and sad. Also, Pearls don't mention ANYTHING about training 2 week old babies in any fashion.

Some people take certain books/philosophies way too far and that is always sad.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #20
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Spyder, the people I know who did Prep for Parenting did things like that. Fathers were known to sit on their wives to keep them from going to their day old babies. It could very definately be from Ezzo's teachings. He says that babies need to learn from day one that they are not the center of the universe If you just read "Babywise" you didn't get the big picture of what he teaches
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Joyanne (04-15-2015)
Old 04-19-2005, 05:03 PM   #21
Spyder

I read all of the Babywise books - the green one and blue one. They are the only ones dealing with infants, correct? The other books are for toddlers and older kids? I never did read those and swore I wouldn't because I cannot stand Ezzo. Now I am tempted to read so I can be informed about these authors.

I never got the idea that letting a 2 week old CIO for no reason was supported ... I think the started talking about CIO around 8 weeks? Maybe I need a refresher.

ETA: Okay, so they leaders of Prep for Parenting endorse things like this ... okay - that is a good case of extreme nutcases taking things to far, then. As far as Ezzo's actual book - I never recall seeing anything so pathetic, and I do believe the entire book is pretty sad!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #22
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

That is really heartbreaking! I think that in your situation, I'd be tempted to try and share some parenting advice with her. If she takes it the wrong way then you lose nothing since the other alternative is ending the friendship anyways. If there is even a SMALL chance you could plant a seed in her heart in the hopes that she might someday remember it and treat her children as the gifts they really are, then there is nothing to lose! As far as going to her house goes, I think it is wise to stay away so as not to expose your children to that kind of environment.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #23
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
Also, Pearls don't mention ANYTHING about training 2 week old babies in any fashion.
Maybe not, but they don't say when to start. Here are a few small quotes from TTUAC:
Quote:
The parents who put off training until the child is old enough to discuss issues or receive explanations find their child a terror long before he understands the meaning of the word. A newborn soon needs training. The child needs holding, loving and lots of attention, but the mother often has other duties.
Quote:
Crying because of genuine physical need is simply the infant's only voice to the outside world; but crying in order to manipulate the adults into constant servitude should never be rewarded.
And in talking about a screaming 7 month old:
Quote:
"What can I do?" My incredulous nine-year-old whipped back, "Switch him." The mother responded, "I can't, he's too little." With the wisdom of a veteran who had been on the little end of the switch, my daughter answered, "If he is old enough to pitch a fit, he is old enough to be spanked."
As far as I can see, these quotes can easily be interpreted as meaning that a 2 week old needs to be trained.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #24
Spyder

Hmmm, maybe. I know I read both TTUAC AND Ezzo before my ds was born and somehow the Ezzo stuff sunk in, mostly about breastfeeding. But it's just not normal or human to let a little baby cry if you can HELP IT! Sometimes you have to put a baby down to do something, go to the bathroom, stir a pot of food, whatever. But the mom in the OP was taking it waaay too far and that is sad.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM   #25
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Quote:
ETA: Okay, so they leaders of Prep for Parenting endorse things like this ... okay - that is a good case of extreme nutcases taking things to far, then. As far as Ezzo's actual book - I never recall seeing anything so pathetic, and I do believe the entire book is pretty sad!
Prep For Parenting is the church curriculum that was created by Gary and Anne Marie Ezzo. They definately advocate cio from birth. Babywise is the secular book they put out that has a lot of stuff from the curriculum removed from it for a more mainstream audience.

And Pearl talks in "No Greater Joy" when he's praising a woman spanking her 3mo about how wonderful it is and how he now hopes that people will see they can start from birth and not wait so long.

Above both of those examples is the culture that has developed among families who practice these methods who offer counsel and encouragement for situations that involve specifics the authors may not specifically use but are supportable by their ideas Very sad
Old 04-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #26
chelsea
Rose Garden

chelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of lightchelsea is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
And Pearl talks in "No Greater Joy" when he's praising a woman spanking her 3mo about how wonderful it is and how he now hopes that people will see they can start from birth and not wait so long.
Even my grandparents, who were spankers, told me of an incident they saw years ago where a couple spanked their few-months-old baby and my grandparents thought it was horribly abusive! How can anyone condone that?!!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #27
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the caregivers of these little ones refuse to care for them?
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #28
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok what I don't get is that ANY pediatrician or Dr or anyone in the medical profession will flat out TELL you that spanking an infant is child abuse!!!!! Why do people drop common sense to fallow these teachings?

Ok , Im terribly mad now.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:26 PM   #29
happy2bmama
Deactivated

happy2bmama is on a distinguished road

OH MY!!! That situation is beyond sad..
happy2bmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:16 AM   #30
Lilly_of the_ Fields

Oh Lord, please, please intervene and break down the walls that these parents have built around their hearts with false teaching about what makes a good Christian and what kind of God you are. Lord, please reveal to them that Grace is an Action, not just a concept and teach them how to Care and Love for their children as you do with us. Lord, I thank you that these little children are on your Heart as much as they are on ours and Thank You so much that we look forward to a Kingdom free of the pain and suffering of our personal sin and the sins of others which we endure. Amen.