Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #121
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamel
So I was looking for an alternative to my Pledge wood cleaner. I noticed one on the OP with Olive Oil. Is there a specific type, extra virgin vs other? And I was wondering if it took awhile before I'd be able to put knick knacks and things back onto the wood since it's, well, oily?
no one answered....does anyone know?
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #122
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homemade Cleaner recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskanmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
what is dr bonners?
castille soap.
oh, good, I have castille. and I need a good glass cleaner that doesn't smell like vinegar.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #123
peacefullone
Rose Garden

livin' life at home and loving it!!!

peacefullone has a spectacular aura aboutpeacefullone has a spectacular aura about

awesome thread! It's now a sticky on my desktop.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #124
hink4687

Quote:
Quote:
So I was looking for an alternative to my Pledge wood cleaner. I noticed one on the OP with Olive Oil. Is there a specific type, extra virgin vs other? And I was wondering if it took awhile before I'd be able to put knick knacks and things back onto the wood since it's, well, oily?
i just use whatever olive oil I have in my cabinet. and I haven't noticed it being too oily actually...i guess b/c its mixed with lemon juice or vinegar so that sort cuts the oilyness.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #125
simplegirl
Rose Garden

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hink4687
Quote:
Quote:
i just use whatever olive oil I have in my cabinet. and I haven't noticed it being too oily actually...i guess b/c its mixed with lemon juice or vinegar so that sort cuts the oilyness.
thank you!
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #126
HummusDip

Instead of pledge I have always used this stuff http://www.ecos.com/pages/furniture.html but I would love to try a homemade olive oil and EO mix!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #127
simplegirl
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatIsSavedByGrace
Instead of pledge I have always used this stuff http://www.ecos.com/pages/furniture.html but I would love to try a homemade olive oil and EO mix!
Ah... I'm really not into making my own stuff.
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #128
HummusDip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatIsSavedByGrace
Ah... I'm really not into making my own stuff.

That's cool! I don't always make my stuff either, but I do quite often. Anyway, you will just love that stuff. It's amazing to me how well it works, as my daughter is at that toddler stage where she manages to cover the wood coffeetables in all sorts of sticky icky gunk and that cleaner gets it all off and shines it up easily! And the smell is lovely.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #129
simplegirl
Rose Garden

is it only available online, or would i be able to get it locally at our local co-op or wild oats?
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #130
erinwtx
Rose Blossom

erinwtx is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing their recipes! I have made the scrub, which I LOVE, the glass cleaner that I like, and the anti-bacterial spray that is great.

My FAVORITE was the wood polish with the lemon juice and olive oil. I can't believe the shine! I have used Old English in the past and you can't even compare the two. I did find you have to really do some buff work afterward on the larger pieces.

I have also done the steam up the microwave and wipe it down thing and it worked well.

Anywho, I have always worried about my kids getting in contact with something toxic, especially DS who is into everything and opens all the cabinets on a daily basis. I had NO IDEA that these recipes would work as well as they do. I don't post as much as I would like because I am still so busy absorbing all of the information on the board. But I wanted to thank everyone who posted their recipes for sharing!
[center]<br />Wife to my BSB since 11/23/2002<br />Punkin Girl 1/20/2005<br />H-Dub 8/2/2006<br />“Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone.” Titus 3:1-2
erinwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #131
ashedwards12
Seedling Rose

ashedwards12 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering would putting vinegar and baking soda in the wash cycle bleach or discolor the clothes. and would peroxide discolor carpet? sorry im new at this and i remember my grandmother telling me not to get it on me or the spill it because of that reason.
ashedwards12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #132
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

my carpet is beige & the hp and baking soda/vinegar combos have not caused any problems at all.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #133
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

I use vinegar & baking soda in every load of my laundry... whites, darks, dipes, and I've never had any problem with it taking out color. I've used HP on lots of blood stains again with whites, creams & darks and it only took out the stain I was working on.

edited b/c when I typed in the letter b and then the letter s, it came out as bunk. Kinda neat that it does that, huh?
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #134
bostonsmama
Rose Garden

bostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond repute

i am almost positive i read somewhere that youre not supposed to use olive oil to clean or treat wood because it can go rancid. it said to use mineral oil instead.... im not 100% sure, but it makes sense. i'll look for some info later today
Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #135
hink4687

I know I was always taught too that hydrogen peroxide can bleach out colors but so far I've definitely had no problems and I use it all the time. My carpets are a beige and I use a lot of hp when I clean them too. I've also used it on my couch and my bright red curtains with no problems! If your hesitant I would definitely do a spot test before treating a large area. I did on my curtains b/c I was a little nervous about them.