Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default ~What Every Mama Needs to Know About Babywearing~

Welcome to the wonderful world of babywearing!

By safely using a well-made baby carrier, you will be able to keep your baby close, content, and connected.
-Babies who are worn are less likely to develop seperation and attachment disorders.
-They cry and fuss less and become independent earlier.
-Babies worn for naps will typically sleep much longer and more contentedly.
-An exhausted baby suffering from teething, colic, etc. will often quickly
settle down and peacefully rest in a comfortable and properly positioned carrier.
-Babies are soothed by being close to, feeling and smelling their caretakers, hearing the familiar heartbeat, and enjoying gentle, normal motion that occurs as they are worn.

As if you needed even more benefits, imagine being able to comfort and soothe your baby while having your hands free to tend to siblings, make a snack, brush your teeth, fold laundry, read your Bible, etc.!

Many mamas experience with babywearing is limited to locally available, commercially produced and mass marketed "front pack" baby carriers. Babies typically face forward/looking out, which is far too stimulating for most babies, mom's shoulders, back, and neck hurt from the poor design, and babywearing is quickly (and understandably) scratched off the list of possibilities. But it doesn't have to be like this! There is a whole world of amazing babywearing just waiting for you!

I hope to encourage you to explore fabulously comfortable, safe and beautiful carriers that will change your experience and help you prolong the babywearing relationship. Not to mention looking and feeling fabulous in a gorgeous carrier that actually reflects your personal style!

SAFETY:
Young babies can be at risk of positional asphyxia - suffocation that occurs when airflow is restricted by body positioning, generally when baby's neck is folded forward in a "chin to chest" position. This can happen anywhere baby's body may be at risk for improper positioning, including but not limited to carseats, swings, and strollers. Keep your baby safe by making sure her head is far enough back that the airflow is not restricted, listening for common signs of improper positioning, such as grunting, sighing, fast or labored breathing, and keeping her nose and mouth away from soft bedding, pillows, fabric or anything that could restrict airflow. This is especially important if your baby is sleeping. Please don't let this scare you away from babywearing - a baby sleeping slouched in a bucket car seat or stroller is actually at more risk than a baby attached right to her parent.

Babywearing Safety and Proper Positioning
Babywearing safety: Are baby slings safe?

Why front-facing structured carriers such as the Bjorn and Snuggli are not optimal for your baby:
Spinal Stress
Hip Dysplasia

CHOOSING YOUR CARRIER:
What kind of carrier should I choose?
Babywearing product reviews
Babywearing vendor reviews
Babywearing product directory
Find affordable, gently used carriers on TBW FSOT forums

MAKE YOUR OWN:
How to make your own baby carrier!
The no-sew wrap!
Sew a doll sling for little mamas and papas

USING YOUR CARRIER:
How to wear your baby: step-by-step instructions w/pictures
Awesome collection of babywearing video tutorials!
RING SLING tips & tricks
Ring slings are well-loved for their quick and easy convenience!
MEI TAI (pronounced "may tie")
Discover the simplicity and ease of the Asian-style Baby Carrier (ABC)
WRAP your baby
This link shows the front wrap cross-carry (FWCC), one of the easiest and most comfy positions. For many more wrapping positions, just click on the menu on the left side of the page.
SSC or Soft-Structured Carrier such as an ERGO, BECO, etc.
ONBU
A Japanese carrier similar to a mei tei, but using rings to thread the straps through.
PODAEGI
A strapless Asian-style Baby Carrier (ABC), very traditional. You can also find more positions here.

BABYWEARING SUPPORT:
Find a babywearing group in your area!
More info about getting local babywearing help on an International level!
Babywearing "Sling Slang" - what all the abbreviations mean
Babywearing Glossary of Terms

BABYWEARING FUN:
Doll slings for your littles to do their own babywearing!
Hathor the Cow Goddess on babywearing!
All the Baby Mamas - a fabulous remake of Beyonce's song!

Please feel free to post your favorite links, tips and tricks, too!

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer

Last edited by PurpleButterfly; 09-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
Delyrics (02-28-2014), Mokek Kwe (09-26-2011), RoseOfGrace (05-06-2014), Vicki_T (09-13-2009)
Old 12-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
bostonsmama
Rose Garden

bostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond reputebostonsmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ~What Every Mama Needs to Know About Babywearing~

Old 06-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to add a link in this thread to Amy's helpful baby wearing pictures and instructions:
http://www.picturetrail.com/Amy_slings

Also, the http://www.tummy2tummy.com/ DVD has wonderful instructions on how to babywear. If anyone has a chance to buy it or watch it, I really recommend it.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
PurpleButterfly (09-26-2011)
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Elleanne
Rose Bouquet

Home birth, cloth diapers, hugs & kisses, giggles & snuggles, thankful mama

Elleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond reputeElleanne has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... there is so much information here! Thank you!
Elleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

This site is the reason I'm making a ring sling! Thank you!

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
firecarrier
Rosebud

I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of POWER and LOVE and a SOUND MIND!

firecarrier will become famous soon enough

Interesting Info, I briefly tried this my 2 LO and found it extremely difficult although that was with high street shop bought carriers not sure if that makes any difference I used to use the carrier only occasionally for short trips to shops etc as alternative to the pram and it gave me terrible backache even though I'm usually fit and well, would like to try this with the next one!
firecarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
lalaithnil
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond reputelalaithnil has a reputation beyond repute

There's a HUGE difference, IME, between a carrier and a sling. We our homemade ring sling.

lalaithnil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lalaithnil For This Useful Post:
firecarrier (07-28-2010), PurpleButterfly (09-26-2011)
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
lmd0137

There is some great info here. It clears up a lot of the fears I had about slings and positional asphyxia.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #9
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute

just tried to use the sling slang link & IE said link may be broken
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annainprogress For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
KrissyLynn

Yeah same here, a bunch of the links are broken
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
BCSweetie
Rosebud

BCSweetie will become famous soon enough

Wow that looks like a compilation of everything there is to know for first time Baby-wearers. Thanks!
BCSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BCSweetie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

The links in the post are all weird. Just a heads up! I clicked on a few of them - some were no longer active, and one was for an inappropriate site.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
duckwithoneleg (09-21-2011), PurpleButterfly (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for letting me know about the outdated links! I've updated the entire post and all links, as well as added more info.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleButterfly For This Useful Post:
DaltonsMomma (09-26-2011), lalaithnil (09-26-2011)
Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! It's so great to find such wonderful information all in the same place. I love wearing my baby in our Mei Tai wrap. It's one of his favorite places to be.
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
NurseKristie
Rosebud

Above all, love one another.

NurseKristie will become famous soon enoughNurseKristie will become famous soon enough

I have a 21 lb toddler and want to get a carrier that will hold him for as long as possible weight-wise. I'm tall and thinner. What works for you ladies?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
NurseKristie is offline   Reply With Quote