Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Baby Wearing (Slings, Etc.) *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Definitions of different baby carriers

Pouch ring slings aren't really the same as a pouch (like a Hotslings or Peanut shell), they are simply ring slings that have been sewn with a pocket-type area that you put the baby in before tightening the rings. IMO, they are much less versatile and best for newborn period. Ring slings are much more versatile and easier to use.

Pouch's are not usually adjustable, tho there are some made w/a set of snaps to tighten as needed. I am not good at using pouches and my baby gets fussy with them because of that. Yet I see many mamas (like Kris10s) use them in hip carries and do the "shoulder flip" to make them as snug and comfy as a ring sling. I love the fact that they are often reversable so you get two looks for the price of one. I do have a lovely fleece Hotsling that is easier for me to use because it's so stretchy, and that is probably the fastest and easiest carrier there is. Pop them in and you're off!

Wraps are a long piece of cloth that you wrap around your body and tie in certain places to create a snug fitting place for your baby or child to be worn on you. You can do almost any carry with a long enough wrap (usually about 5-6 feet). I do find them too hot for summer, tho. Great "popability", meaning you can pop them in and out very easily w/out having to undo/take the wrap off.

MT's/Mei Tai's or ABC's (Asian Baby Carriers) are my fave and not at all complicated as they may seem initially (at least to me they did). Just tie the botton straps on like an apron, hold baby to your chest and flip the top straps over your shoulders, adjust and tie to tighten. I have not tried back carrying yet but they seem very fast and easy as well. My fave MT's that I've tried are AngelPack, Kozy (my avatar right now), BabyHawk, and Napsack. I am hoping to try a Cuddle-n-Carry sometime soon, too!

I use my MT around the house and whenever we are going to babywear for longer periods of time (like grocery shopping). For other times like hanging out w/friends when I'll be sitting around, nursing off/on, needing nursing cover at a public place, I love good ol' ring slings for the versatility and ease.

Babywearing is so fun and addictive!

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
cbmr777

Default Re: Definitions of different baby carriers

I'd like to add my own definitions of the above plus a few carrier types not listed above, if you don't mind.

Pouch
Pouch definition:
Essentially a long "ring" of fabric, folded in half lengthwise to create a pocket for the baby. Worn over one shoulder like a sling. Can be used for the same carries as slings. Can be made of woven or slightly stretchy fabrics. Some have a certain amount of adjustability allowing two people of different sizes to use the pouch; this is usually achieved by zippers or rows of snaps.

Ring Sling
Ring sling definition:
A piece of fabric that goes over one shoulder and around the opposite hip/waist. Adjustable by use of 2 sling rings. In some slings, rings are replaced by a buckle or clip. Sling rings are rings used for adjusting the size and fit of a sling. Can be made of metal, nylon, plastic or wood. Metal and nylon are the strongest and the most common. Sizes vary according to the type and width of the fabric used - small enough to offer traction and large enough to be able to adjust the sling easily. In some slings, the rings are replaced by a clip.

Mei Tai
Pronounciation: may dye
Chinese: mei means "to carry on your back" and tai means "a strap"
Mei Tai definition:
The simplest form of two shoulder carriers is essentially a square of fabric with straps at each corner. Two straps tie around the wearer's waist. The other two straps go over the wearer's shoulders (they may or may not cross over) then attach to the carrier or tie to themselves. The Chinese MeiTai is an example. All Asian-style carriers are unstructured soft carriers.

Onbuhimo
Pronounciation: ohn-boo-hee-moe
Japanese: means "piggy back"
Onbuhimo definition:
A Japanese asian baby carrier that's similar to a mei tai. However, it only has top straps, has a narrower body, and the bottom straps are replaced by rings. The the top straps are threaded through these rings and tied at the waist.

Podeagi or Podegi
Pronounciation: poo-day-gee (soft g)
Korean: means po "blanket" dae gi "to tie"
Podegi definition:
The traditional Korean back carrier is a type of torso carrier. It is like a blanket with long straps that tie around the wearer's chest and waist/hips. The baby rides on your back facing you.

Wraps
Wrap definition:
A long piece of fabric (3-5.5m long and 45-90cm wide)(3.5-6yds by 18"-36" wide) that is wrapped many times around the wearer's body (usually over both shoulders), creating a pocket for a baby to sit. For some carries the fabric is doubled lengthwise before being wrapped. Can be used for the same carries as a sling, as well as the sumo carry. There is usually more than one way to wrap the carrier to achieve a particular carry.

Specific wraps pronounciation:
*Storchenwiege: shtork-en-vee-geh
German: means "stork cradle"
*Didymos: did-eee-mohs
Greek: means "twin"
*Girasol: hee-ra-sol
Spanish: means "sunflower"

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
olive (07-27-2010)
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
PurpleButterfly
Rose Garden

PurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond reputePurpleButterfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmr777
I'd like to add my own definitions of the above plus a few carrier types not listed above, if you don't mind.
What a wonderful post - thank you so much! I actually didn't realize my post had been split into a sticky - it wasn't written with that intention, just a casual response in another thread. So thank you for posting much more informative and descriptive definitions.

Fighting for my life against Carcinoid Lung Cancer
PurpleButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
meginma

I am looking for a suggestion on how to find a carrier for twins. Now that can actually take them out with me, I would love to figure out a way to carry both of them together if that is even possible. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have to offer.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
arwen_tiw

Well the options are really:

Wear one on the front and one on the back. For this two wraps are fine, two mei tais, or one of the previous suggestions and an onbu on the back (though take care with positioning the rings). I tend to tie the front carry first, spread the fabric on the back properly, then do a back carry with rucksack shoulders (meaning not crossing over the front just going under the arms).

Wear both in the same sling - more practical when they are both small! A pouch would be fine or a ring sling, usually with babies facing each other. I've had most success wearing two similarly aged babies (about three months old at the time) in a wrap together. I tied a front wrap cross and laid both babies down (cradle position I think it's called). I don't have twins though, or frequently wrap other mums' children!

Wear two babies on the front (good for nursing babies, though this too has a real knack to it). I've seen pictures of a mum with two ring slings (again, take care not to trap one ring under the other sling or it will probably bother you). I've used two pouches, and a pouch/rs combo myself with children of different ages. I've also seen pictures of a mama with two wraps tied in a simple cross carry at the same time, though I'm not sure how she tied them.

If I was expecting twins I'd want - two wraps, one mei tai, two pouches, one ring sling. I'm a sling addict and have more than that already though.

Can I also add to the array of definitions that there are also Kangas (very short wide wraps) and also a fairly recent thing that sells itself as a wrap, looks like a wrap, is structured like a hard carrier but soft and stretchy, and adjusts with rings like wearing dual ring slings! It's called a Close Baby Carrier and having been so-so about it after one attempt I have decided it's all faf and no benefit. Ring slings or wraps are pretty good without trying to combine them in something that can't be used for as long as either alone. Wouldn't recommend them for twins, certainly. HTH...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
meginma

Thanks. I think this is going to be a trial and error type of issue for me.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
arwen_tiw

I would always recommend finding someone near you who can lend you slings to try out before buying, whatever situation you were buying for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
gracechelle (02-11-2012), jmom1984 (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
jmom1984
Rose Bush

Five Generations of Ladies <3

jmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant futurejmom1984 has a brilliant future

I like the idea of trying to borrow from friends to try them out. There are so many kinds, where to start?! Borrowing would help!
Jenna Hope 12/16/09
James Anthony & John Michael 4/4/13
jmom1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #9
MirafloresLove
Seedling Rose

Titus 2 Woman-In-Progress!

MirafloresLove is on a distinguished road

I find the Moby most aesthetically pleasing, so I am planning to start with that wrap and hopefully, I will be happy and not buy another. I also stumbled across a wrap that was made of this mesh material (kind of like a football jersey shirt with the little holes all over it) and it was specific for beach days or water-oriented activities... Cool!!! The "Wrapping-World" is huge and I'm just trying to get my footing
MirafloresLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #10
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the Moby is limited to only small infants, unless I'm confused... If I'm right, you'll need something else within a year or two.

Sent by Tapatalk from my phone

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote