Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #61
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanking "works"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy5 View Post
but back again to this : spanking is not "hitting" its Biblical discipline. my DH still says this.
But if he wants to be literal about it, he should be hitting them with baseball bats. There is no definition of "spanking" in the Bible that speaks to a flat hand applied to a rear end. If he wants to take the rod verses for what they are worth, he'd use a bat, that's what he'd have to be doing to be "Biblical" about it.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (06-27-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #62
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

A little O/T but every time I see this thread I emphasize the word works and give it the meaning found in this verse:

For it is by Grace you have been saved through faith, and this not of yourselves. It is the gift of God -- not by works so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:8-9

And really, that's quite telling for me, b/c spanking seems to emphasizes works over the gift of God's grace.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (06-18-2011), dulce de leche (06-18-2011), nadezhda (06-27-2011), Tasmanian Saint (06-22-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #63
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Literally speaking... spanking is hitting. You can NOT spank without hitting. I've asked people how they're managing to spank their child(ren) without hitting them and usually that gets a lightbulb to go on.

If someone is spanking without hitting... well... I'd say that they aren't actually spanking

I'm quoting myself from here:

Quote:
And now, what exactly is “spanking” and how does that fit in with what we have learned so far in our small study? Dictionary.com has several definitions:

to strike
a blow or slap
to slap or smack

Okay. So, it’s basically hitting. Striking, slapping, and smacking someone are all forms of hitting and the phrase “coming to blows with someone” generally indicates a fight which involves hitting. I’m not going to tiptoe around this terminology, I think that would be insulting to the readers of this blog. I want to always be honest with you, even if the truth as I see it is difficult to read.

Just to be thorough, here are the dictionary.com definitions of “hit:”

to deal a blow
to come against with an impact
to strike

I find it interesting to note that neither “hit” nor “spank” are listed in the definitions of each other. It would appear that our culture does not consider spanking to be hitting even though they share many of the same definitions and, from outward appearance alone, would appear to be the exact same act.

Yes, spanking is often done with the best of intentions, but when it comes right down to it, it’s hitting. In fact, it’s hitting someone much smaller than the person doing the hitting – something which we teach our children not to do and, I assure you, the irony is not lost on them even when it may not be recognized by the parent in question.
The definitions are almost identical I have yet to meet someone who could spank without hitting... even though many people insist that spanking isn't hitting before they've thought about it logically.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #64
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
im coming to dread weekends. he has been trying with me for almost a year to not spank..but he's not really on board, so wont really try to gain any further understanding about whats normal and so on.. so he's just frusterated that our house is loud, and hectic and people cry and bicker with each other. he even said that he would spank the kids for following him around ( if he already told them to stop)
anyway. sorry to buny trail with my own problem.
have you tried telling your dh the bolded? I would also be very concerned about his seemingly complete lack of understanding and acceptance of normal--both from children and with a large family of many children That many children *are* loud, in each other's space, cry sometimes, and follow parents and older people around. That isn't misbehavior--it's life with a large family.

Does he read at all? Would he be willing to read (or listen on book tape) to things about large families and age appropriate behavior?
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (06-18-2011), rjy9343 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #65
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove View Post
have you tried telling your dh the bolded? I would also be very concerned about his seemingly complete lack of understanding and acceptance of normal--both from children and with a large family of many children That many children *are* loud, in each other's space, cry sometimes, and follow parents and older people around. That isn't misbehavior--it's life with a large family.

Does he read at all? Would he be willing to read (or listen on book tape) to things about large families and age appropriate behavior?
no he reads ALOT..just stuff written in the 1500's
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #66
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt. View Post
That's absolutely true.

The other simple fact is that if you did to an adult what is done to children in the name of spanking (if it could be done)... you would find it to be a very useful tool in enforcing behavioural control over adults too.

I would sure keep my house more clean if someone was going to come and hit me if they were unsatisfied. With adults, it's obvious that such a set-up it wouldn't be part of a loving healthy relationship. Why isn't it just as obvious about children?
Ugh, YES. I get irked at women who are pro-spanking... I tend to ask them if they did the lunch dishes yet, and they better hurry before their husband comes home and slaps them around for it.

There will *not* be violence in my home, I won't have it.

My husband was not raised well. Neither was I, but while his was just permissive parenting, mine was abusive. One sure way to have me ready to fight is to threaten my kid with pain.

The day DH scared DS, I think he figured that out. He tried to say I was "interfering" in his parenting and I shot back a bit of "THAT was not parenting, THAT was bullying and just plain laziness." And I proceeded to get up on the couch so I could be bigger than him and look mean while I told him to clean up. Not the most cool headed plan but holy cow, the light that dawned in his eyes. Seeing him apologize to our little boy mollified the beast.
Annainprogress (06-20-2011), dulce de leche (06-18-2011), nadezhda (06-27-2011), StewardofLOs (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #67
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt. View Post
That's absolutely true.

The other simple fact is that if you did to an adult what is done to children in the name of spanking (if it could be done)... you would find it to be a very useful tool in enforcing behavioural control over adults too.

I would sure keep my house more clean if someone was going to come and hit me if they were unsatisfied. With adults, it's obvious that such a set-up it wouldn't be part of a loving healthy relationship. Why isn't it just as obvious about children?

Excellent point. One of my favorite, and funny, come backs is "Violence begets violence. If you don't believe me, I dare you to try to hit one of kids."

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote:
but back again to this : spanking is not "hitting" its Biblical discipline. my DH still says this.

he's a great guy..but. he thinks you spank for "unwanted behavior" oh my goodness..have you seen the number of kids we have and their ages?? i feel like i work double time on the weekends to swoop in and head off every.issue. before it gets on his nerves ( i do a pretty good job though). im coming to dread weekends. he has been trying with me for almost a year to not spank..but he's not really on board, so wont really try to gain any further understanding about whats normal and so on.. so he's just frusterated that our house is loud, and hectic and people cry and bicker with each other. he even said that he would spank the kids for following him around ( if he already told them to stop)
Um, this is HIS problem for being impatient and unreasonable what life is like with a large family. I am going to say, it concerns me that it is reading that you are walking around on eggshells to keep your husband from being annoyed and then lashing out by hitting one of your kids. If that happened in my house, he would hit me and then I would call the police.

The idea he would strike and hit one of your children because they were following him, trying to get his attention makes me sick to my stomach. Truthfully, there are red flags screaming in my head over this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (06-27-2011), StewardofLOs (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #68
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Excellent point. One of my favorite, and funny, come backs is "Violence begets violence. If you don't believe me, I dare you to try to hit one of kids."

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Um, this is HIS problem for being impatient and unreasonable what life is like with a large family. I am going to say, it concerns me that it is reading that you are walking around on eggshells to keep your husband from being annoyed and then lashing out by hitting one of your kids. If that happened in my house, he would hit me and then I would call the police.

The idea he would strike and hit one of your children because they were following him, trying to get his attention makes me sick to my stomach. Truthfully, there are red flags screaming in my head over this.
its more the issue of : if you want them to stop doing something, rather than nag at them to go find something to do..or be irritated that i have 5 kids gathered around me while i try to blow my nose- just start handing out spanks- then they'll listen. its more (to him) about not doing what they're told to do. like i said. to him you spank to deter unwanted behavior

and i should add- he's frusterates himself, because he *threatens* the spanks all day. he rarely does it. but still- its a drag
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #69
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

he's a great guy..but. he thinks you spank for "unwanted behavior" oh my goodness..have you seen the number of kids we have and their ages?? i feel like i work double time on the weekends to swoop in and head off every.issue. before it gets on his nerves ( i do a pretty good job though). im coming to dread weekends. he has been trying with me for almost a year to not spank..but he's not really on board, so wont really try to gain any further understanding about whats normal and so on.. so he's just frusterated that our house is loud, and hectic and people cry and bicker with each other. he even said that he would spank the kids for following him around ( if he already told them to stop)
Your situation sounds so frustrating! The bolded just breaks my heart. They might just want to spend time with their dad

And I love bunny trails I'm all for them. No need to apologize for them
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (06-27-2011), SweetCaroline (06-19-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #70
Karen

Quote:
its more the issue of : if you want them to stop doing something, rather than nag at them to go find something to do..or be irritated that i have 5 kids gathered around me while i try to blow my nose- just start handing out spanks- then they'll listen. its more (to him) about not doing what they're told to do. like i said. to him you spank to deter unwanted behavior

and i should add- he's frusterates himself, because he *threatens* the spanks all day. he rarely does it. but still- its a drag
Yes, but have you flat out told him that HIS attitude and not the children make you dread the weekends? Does he understand how disruptive his behavior is?
Old 06-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #71
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
There will *not* be violence in my home, I won't have it.

The day DH scared DS, I think he figured that out. He tried to say I was "interfering" in his parenting and I shot back a bit of "THAT was not parenting, THAT was bullying and just plain laziness." And I proceeded to get up on the couch so I could be bigger than him and look mean while I told him to clean up. Not the most cool headed plan but holy cow, the light that dawned in his eyes. Seeing him apologize to our little boy mollified the beast.
You are a woman after my own heart. That was a brilliant piece of inspiration to drive home a very important point.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #72
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband keeps making the kids feel rejected, he's going to find himself rejected by them when they are grown up.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
MarynMunchkins (06-20-2011), nadezhda (06-27-2011), rjy9343 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #73
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
If your husband keeps making the kids feel rejected, he's going to find himself rejected by them when they are grown up.
This is very true. Talk to my dad who still thinks that kids adjust for the adult. He has a strained relationship with all four of us.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #74
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
I am not meaning to be mean but this reminds me of something a friend of mine once said, "I sure hope she likes the state run nursing home her kids are going to put her in one day." There is alot of truth in that. Parents should not be surprised when one day their adult children treat them exactly how they were taught to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
nadezhda (06-27-2011), rjy9343 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #75
mokamoto
Climbing Rose

Mama to two little sweetpeas and loving wife to my Darling tech buff

mokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to allmokamoto is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisa View Post

A quick story about how spanking works. Years ago my sister and BIL spanked their young son (1.5, maybe early 2yo) to keep him in bed at bedtime. He'd cry, go back to bed, but then come out of his room for them. Spanked, to bed, come out of the room, over. She was so frustrated -- was she supposed to spank him faster? Harder? I know I posted about it years ago on GCM because it was such a poignant story of a child hurting and yearning for love so badly that he would risk another spanking just to be with his parents for comfort.

Bless his heart my nephew is 8 years old and they have been struggling with nighttime toilet training for YEARS now. I know this affects all children for many reasons and can't be blamed solely on spanking. But when she says "why won't he just WAKE UP and come out of his room to pee?" I can't help but remember how she was determined to break his spirit so he'd never come out of his room at night again
This just made my eyes well up with tears! How aweful for that poor young man! As exhausted as I am right now bc my daughter (3) has night terrors at 2 am nightly, we all co-sleep bc I can't leave her to suffer her dreams alone. My son, who is 5, still loves to cuddle and we don't turn them away. My struggle is yelling, bc as a previous poster said, hitting/spanking was never an option. But another pp's comment resonated for me on yelling too, although she was talking about spanking- it's easy to be consistent but is lazy parenting and doesn't teach them anything but fear. My kids deserve better from me. for posting this discussion!