Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #226
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talk to me about Vision Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwr View Post
Wonder what they think of children whose parents are unbelievers? (That would have been me.)
Based on the Gothard view of adoption - you're sunk. It's one of the reasons I feel sick when certain mothers with lots of children(lets say 19, just for the heck of it) sweetly proclaim that 'to say there are too many children is like saying there are too many flowers' - except my son would be viewed as a weed and the sin he 'inheritiated from his father' would need to be guarded against. Of course, they're wrong so you and my little guy are good

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
amyjoy (02-25-2011), Annainprogress (02-26-2011), eoconnel (02-26-2011), L-Boogie (02-25-2011), Llee (02-24-2011), Zooey (02-25-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #227
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, VF teaches that parents should homeschool partially in order to isolate their children from the influences of non-VF children. So yes, the odds of a child from a non-Christian family ending up at a VF church are extremely slim.

This is part of the reason I haven't posted anything against VF on FB. I have friends who are deeply entrenched in this stuff and I don't want them cutting me off because if they do ever get out... they're going to lose a great deal of their support system and I want to be there just in case

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-26-2011), Llee (02-24-2011), purple_kangaroo (02-25-2011), yellowheart (02-26-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #228
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins View Post
Based on the Gothard view of adoption - you're sunk.
Oh, well, then,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcollins View Post
sweetly proclaim that 'to say there are too many children is like saying there are too many flowers'
Context is everything. It sounded much better when Mother Teresa said it. Of course, she would consider your son the precious flower that God created him to be.
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mwwr For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-26-2011), CelticJourney (02-25-2011), Heather Micaela (02-25-2011), kwisie (02-26-2011), newday (02-25-2011), yellowheart (02-26-2011), Zooey (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #229
ClassicMom
Rose Blossom

ClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really niceClassicMom is just really nice

I wrote to ICR (Institute for Creation Research), asking about their affiliation with VF and Doug Phillips, who was listed as a scientist and adjunct professor on their website. Here is the reply:

Quote:
Mr. Philips was, along with others in the list, associated with ICR many years ago when we operated our California-based graduate school, but we have since closed that school. We have updated his byline to reflect his current situation.
I checked, and can no longer find him listed as an adjunct professor or scientist anywhere on their site. I sent a second note, asking for further clarification about any relationship between the two organizations. This is the response:

Quote:
ICR has no formal relationship with Vision Forum. Dr. John Morris, our President, is one of the leading experts in creation science and appears regularly by invitation on many films, news programs, radio interviews, conferences, etc.

As a large international ministry now spanning over 40 years, ICR does not keep up with the internal workings, events, products sales, etc. of other organizations, particularly those whose focus is primarily directed toward topics other than creation science, which is our primary mission.
They responded to both of my letters with the utmost courtesy and thanked me for bringing the outdated info to their attention.

Last edited by ClassicMom; 02-25-2011 at 07:49 PM.
ClassicMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ClassicMom For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-26-2011), BarefootBetsy (02-26-2011), Can'tTurnLeft (02-26-2011), CelticJourney (02-25-2011), cobluegirl (02-25-2011), dulce de leche (02-25-2011), erinee (02-26-2011), Hermana Linda (02-25-2011), katiekind (02-25-2011), Katigre (02-25-2011), kwisie (02-26-2011), Llee (02-26-2011), newday (02-26-2011), NovelMama (02-25-2011), UltraMother (02-26-2011), yellowheart (02-26-2011), Zooey (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #230
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing that information, Brenda. Good work on your part, too, to take the trouble to ask them. It's so easy to jump to conclusions--you were wise not to, but to ask about it.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (02-26-2011), dulce de leche (02-26-2011), erinee (02-26-2011), Hermana Linda (02-25-2011), yellowheart (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #231
Annainprogress
Rose Garden

Annainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond reputeAnnainprogress has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for answering my question Bolt (& BarefootBetsy) wow

Wielder of the Palette Knife of Chocolaty Brownieness

rejoicing with those who have escaped abuse, and praying for those still trapped

Unite!

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei
Annainprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #232
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday View Post
I don't know of an alternative to the HSLDA,
For us there is WPA. They don't offer legal representation but they dispel some of the fear tactics that HSLDA uses. For example, there is no such thing as educational neglect in our state. But HSLDA says this is something a family could be charged with in our state. Not true.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
newday (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #233
3jays

I could not read all the PP but I did want to give my experience with VF. I personally disagee with a lot thats on VF. However, I found some good reading for my daughters that was about purity, and other girly things. The books didn't get much into marriage stuff, and headship or anything. The books were good reading on topics I want her to value.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Joyanne (02-27-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #234
rachelserine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jays View Post
I could not read all the PP but I did want to give my experience with VF. I personally disagee with a lot thats on VF. However, I found some good reading for my daughters that was about purity, and other girly things. The books didn't get much into marriage stuff, and headship or anything. The books were good reading on topics I want her to value.
That's nearly word-for-word what my mom said looking back on our childhood with VF books. She sincerely wanted us to understand that purity is important. She meant it in the Martin Luther way ("God doesn't need your good works - but your neighbor does.") but VF makes being good, being pure into a perversion of sanctification.

Even the short snippet on purity from their beautiful girlhood shtick:

Purity & Contentment
To be pure in body, mind, and spirit is more precious than all the promises the world offers. Young ladies who experience a beautiful girlhood guard their hearts against anything that would rob them of purity and are content to wait upon the Lord and trust the leadership of Mom and Dad.

No guarding your heart = no beautiful girlhood.
No trusting parents = no beautiful girlhood
No waiting = no beautiful girlhood

Mess up and your beautiful girlhood is gone.

More than that, your chance to live a god-honoring life is gone.

My parents had the best of intentions, and their heads had good theology and a good basis. But us kids, who were actually reading these things and living in a high-pressure world only got that we were defective. We only saw how we weren't living up to some standard of purity instead of realizing that all purity we get is from God and He doesn't run out! :P

I seriously maintain that there is nothing good you can get from VF. If you want your daughters to hold purity and modesty in high esteem then talk to them about why YOU do.

Maybe their more sanctified version of rope would be useful? Their grappling rope is now on sale!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-28-2011), CelticJourney (02-28-2011), dulce de leche (02-28-2011), PaperMomma (10-29-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #235
Stonebeck Farm
Rose Trellis

Stonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond reputeStonebeck Farm has a reputation beyond repute

TOTALLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday
I don't know of an alternative to the HSLDA,

We joined the Christian Law Association- Home school Legal Advantage.....they do legally represent you. They have a whole page devoted to how they are different from OTHER homeschool law groups I am much happier!
DS 11/05, and DD 9/07
DNiece 8/06, DNiece 10/08, DNephew 6/11 and DNephew 8/15
and a growing farm of 2 cats, 1 Border Collie, 1 llama, 10 Icelandic sheep, 7 goats, 30 hens & roosters, 1 male turkey, 21 geese
Stonebeck Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stonebeck Farm For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-28-2011), emerald (03-02-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #236
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jays View Post
My mother had a similar idea with me and now regrets it because there is so much emphasis on the external and behavior. But there was not really as much about the heart and she now believes that if she had not given me those sorts of things that I would not have felt that I was not feminine enough to be a Godly woman. (There were other factors at play as well and she acknowledges those). This something that after seeing what it did to me, she felt it was important enough to very strongly warn about them and the attitude they espouse so that my own daughter would not be exposed to them. Don't get me wrong, purity is very important. But it is not tied to God's love. To be quite frank, based on what I do remember, I am not sure I want those people teaching my daughter about what is and is not pure.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Can'tTurnLeft (02-28-2011), CelticJourney (02-28-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #237
breezy88
Climbing Rose

breezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant futurebreezy88 has a brilliant future

VF is pure scariness.
I quote....
""Through the grace of God, she has been learning over the years how to submit her will to her father and channel her interests into avenues that further his vision. She and her sister serve their father through their interests in filmmaking, orchestral harp, history, music theory and composition, theology, studying speech and deportment, the reconstruction of the West, hospitality, classical piano, the persecuted church, and homemaking. A perfect case study of a born rebel turned devoted daughter, she learns more each year about the practical side of helping a father become a great man."

I can't stomach this.
I am not a feminist. I am very conservative. But this.....is.....wrong! Why does a girl have sort of duty to make her father become a great man.....what about the sons.....I see the bible saying that children need to honour and obey their parents. (mother and father). That's about as far as it goes and these men seem like total power trippers.

I can't handle it....it erks me! Plus they don't think woman can be in the military and that makes me

Mommy to 4 little girls
Remembering 3 babes in heaven.

breezy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to breezy88 For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (04-04-2011), CelticJourney (04-04-2011), Damselfly (04-04-2011), domesticzookeeper (04-04-2011), dulce de leche (04-04-2011), rjy9343 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #238
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
she learns more each year about the practical side of helping a father become a great man.
That is MESSED UP! Seriously, the pressure that this would put on a child is unbelievable. Only the father is responsible for making himself a great man!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #239
ProudHooahWife

I started t read this thread but it honestly just has to many pages. I have ordered from Vision Forum and actually love alot of their stuff and would spend way more there if I could. Douglas Phillips is on my facebook and I think many of you are twisting what they say. Some of the stuff that has been written on here about CHRISTIANS and I am not talking about Debi and Michael Pearl are scary. Just saying!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #240
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

You are being very general in your accusations that some here are twisting what Vision Forum says. Could you perhaps please offer some specifics as to what you feel is being twisted? That way your concerns can be better addressed. Also, I encourage you to read the rest of the thread; it's possible that some questions you may have might be already answered in the thread or in some of the links posted.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers

Last edited by flowermama; 04-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (04-05-2011), BarefootBetsy (04-05-2011), Can'tTurnLeft (04-04-2011), domesticzookeeper (04-04-2011), DoulaClara (04-05-2011), dulce de leche (04-05-2011), Eowyn (04-04-2011), Happygrl (04-05-2011), Llee (04-05-2011), purple_kangaroo (04-04-2011), Six Little Feet (04-06-2011)