Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #46
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strong-Willed Children Vs. Gentle Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
I was (am) very strong-willed and do you know what spanking taught me? To not get caught. To act contrite in the present and plan better next time. To lie through omission instead of an outright lie because lying through omission is much more difficult for a parent to catch. Oh, and spanking really awakened fury in my heart. I wasn't really contrite after being spanked even though I could pretend to be fairly decently... I was angry - seething with rage - after being spanked.

I'm one of those who would do the opposite of what I was told just because someone told me to do it. I'm still that way to a degree, even though I consciously try not to react like that and usually succeed in resisting that urge now.

Yeah... and my mom's will was NO match for my will which made the teen years particularly rough for us. My dad was constantly mediating between the two of us (he's strong-willed too) and I had pretty much zero respect for my mom at all. We're on very good terms now, but back then... nope
You described me to a T!

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redeemed For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (01-23-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #47
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliethepooh View Post
Loving this discussion. Could somebody go back twenty five years or so and have this talk with my parents?
ITA...Could someone go back 30 years and talk to me back then?

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QuiltinGramma For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (02-16-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #48
Treenahurricane
Rose Trellis

Struggling with life

Treenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond reputeTreenahurricane has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest is very strong willed and an explosive child. Her asperger's and other issues (waiting to find out what all they are!) mean that if I were to go with adversarial parenting (and honestly, I tried it because I'm out of tools...it didn't work), I'd be hitting her nonstop. She doesn't respond to punishment or rewards, she just IS nonstop hard to be around. In fact, as a result of my punitive parenting trial out of desperation, she walks around every time she knows she's in trouble (which honestly is a lot) screaming "Don't hit me!" and I feel terrible. I haven't hit her in months but it is something she is now afraid of even though it didn't actually change the behavior for the better.

Gentle discipline with my other children is an effective tool. It takes a lot of work, there's no doubt about it. It's proactive parenting not reactive most of the time (which I struggle with a lot especially when I'm tired and worn out like now). I'm sure punitive parenting may have results with my kids, too, but why take myself down that road? I was abused when I was younger, I know I have the potential of abuse in myself because of anger problems I struggle with. I don't want to cross a line at any point with a normal or strong willed child because I can't control myself. So I take it out of the equation as an option.

Treenahurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Treenahurricane For This Useful Post:
luvinmama (02-11-2011), Maggirayne (02-16-2011), nanookmama (02-11-2011), Quiteria (02-12-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #49
luvinmama
Rose Garden

Taking one day at a time...

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ View Post
I was abused when I was younger, I know I have the potential of abuse in myself because of anger problems I struggle with. I don't want to cross a line at any point with a normal or strong willed child because I can't control myself. So I take it out of the equation as an option.
This was one of the reasons I knew I would never be able to bring spanking into our family--and this was well before I'd ever heard of "GBD" or any other options. It's encouraging when we have enough foresight to know what would be "good" or negative to bring into our relationships with children even when we might not even be aware of another "path" kwim?

Married to my best friend '03

Love to and to DH

In case you're wondering...I'm an ENFJ

luvinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #50
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
Wow, my experience is that strong-willed children sometimes ARE the ones that only need to be looked at (or told, as my dad used to say to me, "I'm so disappointed by your behavior.")
This exactly! I've even told my mom that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Yeah, sometimes with my dd...if I (or her teacher) get adversarial, she can get very stubborn and strong-willed about insisting on doing things her way...but, today for example, I confronted her more gently about something she had done wrong, and she burst into tears. It really wasn't THAT big, but it needed to be addressed, and she was very sensitive to the verbal reprimand of telling her that it was wrong and why. But times when someone has really pushed her into a corner of stubbornness by giving her a punishment of some sort (even as mild as taking away recess), I've seen her fight back against complying in the slightest. I did give her a natural/logical consequence today for the thing we discussed...and she was fine with accepting it because it was more her actions that made the consequence happen instead of ME chosing to spank or taking away an unrelated privilage....strong-willed children have a way of seeing that "YOU are doing this to me," and deciding they'd rather suffer than cave in...but dd is so very sensitive to realizing that she's done something wrong when you gently point out why it's wrong, when you appeal to logic instead of trying to bully her.
Yes, ironic, my brother said to me just Monday that he would argue when he wasn't heard just to argue or when he felted wronged. and if they had just listened to him, he would have conceded. He obeyed because it was easier not because he wanted to. I would refuse to obey if I was forced. You know, like the kid who told his teacher, "I'm standing up on the inside."?

I just read in Boundaries, "Your yes is not a true yes unless you can say no." Paraphrase b/c E is waiting for me to play with her. Pg 106 or 108.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (02-21-2011), L-Boogie (02-17-2011), NewCovenantMama (02-17-2011), Two Little Birds (02-24-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #51
Peridot
Rose Garden

I stand before you, DeFrocked!!

Peridot has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliethepooh View Post
Loving this discussion. Could somebody go back twenty five years or so and have this talk with my parents?
SERIOUSLY!!!

GBD is a necessity for Maximus, not just the 'best' plan. I believe his problems would have gotten much much worse, if not for me laying down my weapons and declaring peace.

"A normal, imperfect, LUMPEN human being!!"

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. and yet, one day Love himself barged into the Temple with a bullwhip and declared enough was enough. I will testify to Love.

Peridot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peridot For This Useful Post:
dulce de leche (02-21-2011), L-Boogie (02-18-2011), melliethepooh (02-17-2011), nanookmama (02-20-2011), Tasmanian Saint (02-18-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #52
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

I like that...."declaring peace"

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuiltinGramma For This Useful Post:
Peridot (02-21-2011), Tasmanian Saint (02-21-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #53
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

When we became parents, I was of a punitive mindset while my husband was a of a GD mindset. He asked that we parent gently and, in the name of WOS (another mindset I held at the time), I obeyed him. I was quite sure my husband would change his tune right around the time our son turned two. It's laughable to me now to think about that. I really thought I had God on my side.

So Benji was about 18 months, maybe a little younger before I really began to feel like I needed to talk my husband outta this gentle discipline thing sooner rather than later. At that time, Benji had a thing for getting to the computer cables. I'd pick him up, move him away, tell him no-touch aaaand five seconds later he'd be at it again. It was maddening.

One day I literally counted how many times I repeated this scenario with our son and when my husband came home from work, I confronted him with the outrageous number. I told him that talking to and scolding our son just wasn't working. He was too young to understand. I concluded that it was necessary to spank if I ever wanted my boundaries to be respected.

I'll never forget what happened next. We got in the car and went to the home building store--not to buy a yardstick but to find a simple cabinet for the computers. When we got home, Jason put the computers in the cabinet and secured the cords that ran from the backs of the computer towers to the monitors and keyboards out of sight behind the desk. Next he took a short ethernet cable that was brightly colored and let our son play with it. The short cable satisfied my son's curiosity and gave me something to redirect him to but he no longer messed with the computer cables anyway because he couldn't! They were out of his reach and stayed that way until he had the maturity to be around them safely.

My husband showed me how to enforce my boundaries with my children without using violence. It was a huge paradigm shift.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mountainash For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (02-24-2011), dulce de leche (02-25-2011), Jeanette598 (02-24-2011), luvinmama (02-24-2011), nanookmama (02-28-2011), NewCovenantMama (02-24-2011), Tasmanian Saint (02-25-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #54
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Ashley-- you have a keeper there.
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klpmommy For This Useful Post:
doubleblessings (02-24-2011), L-Boogie (02-24-2011), mountainash (02-24-2011), nanookmama (02-28-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #55
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainash View Post
When we became parents, I was of a punitive mindset while my husband was a of a GD mindset. He asked that we parent gently and, in the name of WOS
How ironic is that? l

Quote:
I told him that talking to and scolding our son just wasn't working. He was too young to understand. I concluded that it was necessary to spank if I ever wanted my boundaries to be respected.
Interesting how blind we can be. If he was too young to understand, why would spanking work?

What an amazing testimony. If you blog it, let me know so I can link to it.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #56
luvinmama
Rose Garden

Taking one day at a time...

luvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond reputeluvinmama has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, MountainAsh! You DO have a keeper!

My DH is from a similar mindset, and I was the one prior to pregnancy (we were married for 5 years before DD came along) who believed in children manipulating, etc. I'll never forget when I was 8.5 months pregnant, sitting outside in the hot summer sun telling DH that I was fully convinced Babywise was the "thing to do" and I wouldn't let my kid control me. Lol. DH was just finishing up his undergrad work in Human Development/Family Studies and was totally not convinced.

Thank God for wonderful husbands, huh?

Married to my best friend '03

Love to and to DH

In case you're wondering...I'm an ENFJ

luvinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luvinmama For This Useful Post:
mountainash (02-24-2011), nanookmama (02-28-2011)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #57
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Ashley, that is so amazing and cool!

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #58
mountainash
Rose Garden

mountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond reputemountainash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
How ironic is that?
Lol. I know. I love that God plays into my ironic sense of humor and does things like that in my life. It's like God's version of playful parenting.

Quote:
Interesting how blind we can be. If he was too young to understand, why would spanking work?
Ya know. It might have "worked" but at what cost? And once I learned how to enforce boundaries without violence, it seemed absurd to choose violence.

Quote:
What an amazing testimony. If you blog it, let me know so I can link to it.
Oh! Feel free to share it. I don't have a blog anymore.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #59
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My husband showed me how to enforce my boundaries with my children without using violence. It was a huge paradigm shift.
What a great story!!!
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #60
dulce de leche
Climbing Rose

dulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond reputedulce de leche has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lol. I know. I love that God plays into my ironic sense of humor and does things like that in my life. It's like God's version of playful parenting.

Ya know. It might have "worked" but at what cost? And once I learned how to enforce boundaries without violence, it seemed absurd to choose violence.

Oh! Feel free to share it. I don't have a blog anymore.
I want to link it whenever it gets blogged, too.

13 years with Mi Amado
Dd ~ 1/04
Ds ~ 1/06
Dd ~ 6/08
Dd ~ 7/10
dulce de leche is offline   Reply With Quote