Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Love_Monkey

Default Crystal: A discussion about "Biblical Parenting"

I have a very good friend who is a great mom. She does spank and she does cio but I really do respect how connected and loving she is. She has said she could never imagine spanking her son at his age (20 months) and it has been 6 months since she has spanked her dd (5) so it is absolutely not a tool she uses often. I gave her your book to read and she said she agreed with 90% of it but 10% made her go, "Huh? What?!"

She marked it with stickys and honestly, knowing how good she is with her kids it's hard for me to know how to answer her questions. She wants to discuss it but I thought it would be good to get your perspective. She had six stickys so I figured we could take it one at a time. This might be a good discussion for others as well, otherwise I would have just pm'd you.

On page 46 you wrote: Too often I hear, "My child is doing______. Is this normal?" The truth is, yes, that is normal for that child. What each child does at any age is normal for that baby at that age. It's what God designed them to be able to do at that point.

My friend said: By her definition of normal, nothing is abnormal. This is dangerous - keeps our expectations of our children low. May prevent appropriate intervention - medical, educational, therapeutic, guidance and teaching.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation
Default Re: Crystal: A discussion about "Biblical Parenting"

Oh--this will be fun

I see her concern--but in context I am talking about our expectations of our children compared to what other children are doing, as well as the cultural expectations that say a child *should* be doing X by this time. I compare "normal" to "normative". Normative is what everyone is doing; normal is what a child is designed to do that may or may not be compatible with what is normative. So it is normative in our culture to expect a child to sleep through the night at 6 weeks; that is not normal for most children, though it is for some.

Yes, we do need to be on the lookout for things that need intervention or medical/therapy attention. But, even in those cases, what is going on is normal for that child. We are reading a wonderful book that is helping ds understand what it means to be autistic spectrum. Regardless, from a parenting/discipline perspective these things are normal *for him* (and for others with Asperger's). If I try to parent him based on the normative expectations of a child his age I will be frustrated all the time and so will he! But when I accept that he is who he is I can adjust my parenting to meet him where he is and meet his needs.

Does that help? If it just prompts more questions from her go ahead and post them
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Love_Monkey

Yay! I'm so glad you think this will be fun - that's exactly how I was hoping you'd respond.

Second sticky...

I won't write what you wrote because well, we all know how we feel about crying babies.

She wrote: Crying babies - not sure all crying is bad - If you make sure their needs are met, comfort them, you have to keep yourself sane/rested - help child learn self-soothing.

Her next sticky was on the same note (btw, she said she started feeling a bit defensive while reading this section. I think you'll see that come out here ): I let my children learn to self-sooth after I tried reasonable measures (feeding on demand, etc.) to comfort them - I'm sure they're not emotionally scareed/failing to thrive - get real!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #4
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's a difference of AP coming out there WRT CIO...

Regarding the "normal" thing, too, I've always liked Crystal's "age-appropriate does not mean appropriate." Just b/c something is normal or age-expected doesn't mean we don't address the issue. That's what I think she might be reacting to there..that we'ree using "age-expected/appropriate" as an excuse for behaviour...
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltinGramma

Yeah, me too!! I am loving this thread....

Bring it on, Crystal. I love the way you explain things.....
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
cindergretta
Deactivated

My miracle blessing who brings tears to my eyes!

cindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond reputecindergretta has a reputation beyond repute

Oops, one other thing...

Does your friend realize that sometimes when a baby cries, it just needs to be held and comforted? Maybe not a diaper or food, just close contact? My 5th will sometimes cry and we can't soothe her. She will sob on our shoulder. But if we put her down, her cries get more upset, kwim? She *needs* the crying for some reason, but she also needs us to hold her while she does it. Does that make sense?
cindergretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #8
Love_Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindergretta
Oops, one other thing...

Does your friend realize that sometimes when a baby cries, it just needs to be held and comforted? Maybe not a diaper or food, just close contact? My 5th will sometimes cry and we can't soothe her. She will sob on our shoulder. But if we put her down, her cries get more upset, kwim? She *needs* the crying for some reason, but she also needs us to hold her while she does it. Does that make sense?
Yes, absolutely she would say she knows sometimes a baby simply needs to be held and comforted. I think though that she argue that sometimes a baby really *needs* sleep.

I can argue this one myself tbh, I'm planning to show her this though thread and thought it would be cool to show her different responses from my own.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #10
Chris3jam

Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Mama Rophe
Rose Garden

Mama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond reputeMama Rophe has a reputation beyond repute

I am so interested in this. I think it will help me with my mil.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #12
This Busy Mom

Old 05-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #13
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone else's popcorn looked so good I though I get some too.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
QuiltinGramma
Rose Garden

QuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant futureQuiltinGramma has a brilliant future

Hey that's only 3 stickies so far........what are the other 3 things she had questions about?
(mmmm second course)

wife for 40 years to dear hubby-pastor and retired Navy chaplain
mom to DS & DD (Amber) now grown,
to Dixie Lee, a 3 yr old French Brittany,
Magnolia (Maggie), 4 month old French Brittany
and gramma to 4 wonderful grandBOYS and 1 foster granddaughter
QuiltinGramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #15
Love_Monkey

Okay, third sticky:

On page 53 Crystal wrote: People learn 20% from what is spoken and 80% from what is not spoken. If I tell you I love you while I hit you - what message is louder? If I tell you I love you while I lead you to time-out/isolation - what message is louder? Worse still, what if I spank you while I yell at you for being horrible?

Friend wrote: No time out? Are you kidding? Time-Out is a natural consequence - in my experience it has allowed my children to step back from a situation in which they have lost control of themselves, re-think, make better choices and return. Spanking PLUS yelling is bad!! I wouldn't do it!

There are actually only two more stickys but they are biggies. I want to wait until Crystal has a chance to respond to these.