Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 11-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #16
granolamommy

Default Re: The Pearl's "Good stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy
And all his references to how the home atmosphere should be, I agree with. Parents infused with joy. Parents not letting the negative moods or misbehaviors of their children affect their joy. Parents as the loving, firm authority in the home. I totally agree.

This is where I have a difficult time (not w/Pearls, but w/ me). How do you keep your joy? How do you not let negative moods, and especially misbehaviors affect your joy? I have prayed and prayed about this, but it is still so difficult for me. Especially when I'm having trouble with depression/anxiety. Many times the only way I can describe my despondent mood is "It's like I've just lost all my joy" Any advice?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #17
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

DeAnn,

I know how you feel. I am like that too. I am not a naturally bubbly, fun person. I am a loner, and kind of moody. Becky Bailey's book has helped me not take things personally or get upset. I chant, "This moment is as it is." Once they've done something wrong, no matter how disappointed and frustrated I am, being a nasty grump about it isn't going to solve anything. It's already happened. I must move on. Learning this has helped alot. Before I read any discipline books, I prayed and prayed for God to deliver me from my negative moods. But it wasn't until I actually learned what TO do, that I could overcome. Praying about the problem, without focusing on solutions, turned my thoughts towards all the wrong things I was doing which kept me more depressed and miserable. To keep my joy, I MUST be focused on God and His attributes and provision, not my sin. I also must have tools to use when my children do those things that drive me insane.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #18
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

I think joy is all about having the proper perspective. It's not about feelings - I certainly have bad days and feel angry, sad, and frustrated. But I can realize that, even in the midst of those feelings, God is in control. There are lots of situations that are overwhelming and I wonder how I can possibly survive making it through. But recognizing that it's not about me or what I can do pulls me through it.

MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:46 PM   #19
Chris3jam

Quote:
How do you keep your joy? How do you not let negative moods, and especially misbehaviors affect your joy? I have prayed and prayed about this, but it is still so difficult for me. Especially when I'm having trouble with depression/anxiety. Many times the only way I can describe my despondent mood is "It's like I've just lost all my joy" Any advice?

I've lost all zest for life. I don't want to do anything any more, I don't want to go anywhere. . it's just too difficult and not worth it. I don't even want to go to the grocery store. . . if they're not knocking down racks of wine (actually, -- he didn't mean it), they're running all around and totally humiliating me. How can one have joy when it's all correction, correction, correction, distraction, arguing (from them), whining (well, both of us), crying (mostly me), etc.? It's nothing but argue, attitude and anger here. How does one hold on to the joy?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #20
Katherine

There are several thoughts that come to my mind about joy.

One is to have a proper definition of what joy really is, which I think Mary touched on (not just feelings). Also--along the same lines... to have realistic expectations of how/where joy should manifest itself--what it really *looks like*--in our lives. This is the problem with the Pearls. They talk a lot about joy and peace, but they make it synonymous with a superficial sort of happiness and circumstantial calm. Life with kids isn't always going to be calm, orderly, controllable, and heartwarming--although it sure does have it's amazing moments! (Heck, life in general isn't always going to be that way--kids or no!)

Another thought is that joy is a decision. I know, technically, it's a fruit of the Spirit--and that's the best way to view it and the best way to pursue it... by pursuing God. But that's easy to write on paper and sometimes really hard to put into practice for an overwhelmed Mom. I, personally, came to a point where I had to (1) Accept the challenges--the reality--in my life (like what heartofjoy quoted from Becky Bailey) and (2) Become determined to embrace them, address them, and actively work towards solutions.

I don't necessarily agree with everything Dr. Phil says.. but I read one of his books at a time when I felt a lot like you described, Chris3jam, and the biggest thing I took away with me was to stop being a victim of my own life... to step back and restructure the way I viewed my circumstances, my surroundings, my family/husband/kids, my past, etc. I really grew a lot in terms of choosing a mindset that would help me succeed instead of paralyze me and discourage me. It's tough.. it meant letting go of stuff that I was really, really angry about... it meant a lot of internal honesty... it meant that if I wanted something to change, I had to take responsibility for it without also owning resentment for having to do it myself. It meant I decided to keep trying, keep working, keep changing... for as long as I needed to. The next step from there was finding better tools and learning how to use them. When my family gets to the point that life is

Quote:
all correction, correction, correction, distraction, arguing (from them), whining (well, both of us), crying (mostly me), etc.? It's nothing but argue, attitude and anger here.
(and we've been there before.. ) that's when I know I need to do something differently on a practical level. Most recently, it's been firmer boundaries. In the past it's been things like more structure, more connecting, and better time-management on my part.

Another thing that has helped me is to find one or two positive things that bring a breath of fresh air into my life every day. At one point--probably the lowest point I've ever been at in terms of discouragement--I went out and bought a bunch of potted plants (mostly hanging, leafy, vibrant green stuff b/c it was dull winter outside)--and I put hooks in the ceiling and hung them all over the house. Seeing that life, the beautiful leaves, the promise of spring, etc... gave me a tiny pick-me-up each and every day and, though they were all dead 6 months later cause I started forgetting to water them , it helped me through a tough time. I also find that looking back at old pictures of my precious babies has that affect on me. When I'm feeling less than kind-hearted toward my 4yo, I can pick up his baby book and let my heart be softened and lifted up by precious memories.

Where there are biological issues at play, they MUST be addressed as what they are. While I believe that positive mental attitudes can contribute to good health, I don't believe we can "postive attitude" our way out of real medical issues.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #21
arymanth
Rose Bouquet

arymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud ofarymanth has much to be proud of

Quote:
the biggest thing I took away with me was to stop being a victim of my own life... to step back and restructure the way I viewed my circumstances, my surroundings, my family/husband/kids, my past, etc. I really grew a lot in terms of choosing a mindset that would help me succeed instead of paralyze me and discourage me. It's tough.. it meant letting go of stuff that I was really, really angry about... it meant a lot of internal honesty... it meant that if I wanted something to change, I had to take responsibility for it without also owning resentment for having to do it myself. It meant I decided to keep trying, keep working, keep changing... for as long as I needed to. The next step from there was finding better tools and learning how to use them.
That is EXACTLY where I am right now!!!! I have done so many things that I regret, and for so long I felt paralyzed by my circumstances. I wanted my circumstances to change... for something to make everything around me better... to make my kids mind me, to "fix" my housekeeping problems, to give me step by step instructions to make my problems go away.

I have finally figured out that if anything is going to change in my life, it is going to have to be because *I* change. It was so hard to give up waiting for a "solution"... a program, a 3 step plan, a set of rules that would make everything around me easier. It was harder to "own my own problems" and actively work towards changing them, even if it meant trying many different things and to improvise and adapt them to suit MY life and MY children. It was so strange and freeing to be able to say "THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR ME" and look for a different solution, instead of doing the same thing over and over and hoping that somehow sheer force of will would make it work. (doing what someone else said "God said" I should do)

I didn't follow the Pearls, (I was more into Dobson) but I did a lot of the same things they teach. They never did "work" for me, and I always thought it was somehow MY FAULT that I didn't have the same wonderful results everyone else claimed to have. I just knew I must not be doing it right... not consistant enough, not strict enough, not committed enough. I tried to maintain a facade of being "happy" and "joyful", but underneath I was a panic-stricken mess! I hit my kids more out of desperation than intention. I wanted that "joy" so badly... I was doing everything "the right way"... why wasn't it working? Why were my kids so rebellious? Why didn't they ever listen? Why did I constantly find myself yelling, threatening and hitting my kids, when they were supposed to be getting BETTER as they got older???

I can completely understand why someone would get sucked into teachings like the Pearls or Ezzo... it promises that if you just follow the plan, everything around you will become EASIER FOR YOU. Then, they say, you will be HAPPY... because you will have easy-to-manage, obedient, quiet, compliant children. No more strife = happiness. No struggles = joy. No problems = a good life. Funny, I can't find that concept in the Bible anywhere.

What I DO find is that we are supposed to learn to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit IN THE MIDST OF DIFFICULTY. It is more God-like to show PATIENCE in a difficult situation than to have the difficult situation itself taken away. To show GRACE when someone does something that deserves punishment... even if it means that we have to overlook a personal offence. Parenting is supposed to be all about US maturing, growing up spiritually, learning to behave more like God. How can we learn to do that if we concentrate on making our lives easier and more convenient for ourselves?

"Easy" is not the same as "good". Have you ever heard anyone ask a new mom, "so is he a good baby"? What they mean is "is he convenient? Does he sleep a lot, not cry too much, and in general not cause you any inconvenience?" But when you believe that a baby is supposed to fit this definition of "good", then you will be much more likely to be angry and resentful when things are NOT easy. How many new parents get frustrated when their baby doesn't sleep as long as they think they should... who "wants to nurse all the time", or who is "high needs" and "can't be put down". Since they equate a "good baby" with a convenient baby, they are not going to be "joyful" until they find a way to "fix" them and make them easier. (this is why "crying it out", schedules and other gimmicks are so prevalent in these kinds of teachings) They confuse the pleasure and relief of getting their own way with "happiness".

How is it "godly" to be able to treat your children with love and consideration... as long as they don't cause any problems or make life inconvenient? How is that reflecting God's love towards us? If we were talking about these same attributes in a child, we would say that they are spoiled and self-centered and had to have everything their own way to be happy.

Sigh... I'm rambling again....I have so many thoughts on this subject!!!!

Stephanie

Now blogging at The Shepherd's Apprentice
arymanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #22
Chris3jam

Quote:
They never did "work" for me, and I always thought it was somehow MY FAULT that I didn't have the same wonderful results everyone else claimed to have. I just knew I must not be doing it right... not consistant enough, not strict enough, not committed enough. I tried to maintain a facade of being "happy" and "joyful", but underneath I was a panic-stricken mess! I hit my kids more out of desperation than intention. I wanted that "joy" so badly... I was doing everything "the right way"... why wasn't it working? Why were my kids so rebellious? Why didn't they ever listen? Why did I constantly find myself yelling, threatening and hitting my kids, when they were supposed to be getting BETTER as they got older???

I can completely understand why someone would get sucked into teachings like the Pearls or Ezzo... it promises that if you just follow the plan, everything around you will become EASIER FOR YOU. Then, they say, you will be HAPPY... because you will have easy-to-manage, obedient, quiet, compliant children. No more strife = happiness. No struggles = joy. No problems = a good life. Funny, I can't find that concept in the Bible anywhere.
This is *exactly* why I got sucked in. It was "God's Way". . . it was "guaranteed". . . it was the *only* way to save your children from hell. . . it was also the only way to have good children, children who make their parents proud.. . the list just goes on.

Thank you for sharing.

Now I just have to remember that I'm doing GBD, not for happy, perfect, wonderful kids, but because that is what I'm convinced that God wants from *me*. And I have to remember to be strong. And not to collapse in total self-recrimination when my kids have wrong attitudes, bad behaviours and lash out at me. The trick is exactly what it says in the Bible. . .the infamous rod verse. . . Proverbs 23:14. . .the unrelenting and consistant exposure to God's Word and God's authority (with Deut., which I believe is probably where Solomon got the 'saying') is what will make any difference there is to make in my life, and my family's life.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 AM   #23
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just wanted to say how helpful this thread was to me and how much I appreciate all who contributed!!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:02 AM   #24
jamieswife

Quote:
Originally Posted by palil

Life with kids isn't always going to be calm, orderly, controllable, and heartwarming
And praise God for that......how boring would THAT be?!!!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #25
Katherine

Quote:
I always thought it was somehow MY FAULT that I didn't have the same wonderful results everyone else claimed to have. I just knew I must not be doing it right... not consistant enough, not strict enough, not committed enough.
This is exactly how Pearl means for parents to feel when the his method doesn't work. He teaches it outright.

Quote:
No more strife = happiness. No struggles = joy. No problems = a good life. Funny, I can't find that concept in the Bible anywhere.
Yep... and when it really sinks in that Pearl is misrepresenting what JOY is all about (joy = being in control of your kids/life) that's when it becomes easier to see the fallacies in everything else he teaches. Just like with anything in life, you can't experience reality in a meaningful way if you're desparately clinging to an unattainable fantasy of how it "should" be.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #26
cklewis
Deactivated

cklewis is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree more that true "joy" is a choice. And ITA also, palil, that it's not bubbly and all-cheerful. I guess I prefer the word "contentment" or "accepting." Because there have been LOTS of times in my life that I have not been full of joy, but I was feeling what God wanted me to feel and I was accepting His help. That much I know. Was I joyful? I don't know. I *was* still resting in God.

I remember a few days after our Elise was born (still), and we were still in the hospital. Grant and I were playing Rummy at the table and chairs. I was up and dressed (in lounge clothes, but dressed), and we were talking normally. A nurse walked in and said, "Where's the patient? The mother?" I smiled and said, "I'm right here." Her jaw dropped to the ground. I don't know what she expected, but it wasn't what she saw. When she checked me out that day, she said, "I guess you've already been through all the stages of grief and are at 'acceptance.'" Uh. . . . No. I was just okay and not in the toilet at the time. Bodies can't handle all the sad at once. You've got to take it in stages. Right then, I was fine. But it would be months and months and months before the sad would be truly on the upswing, before I would really be "joyful." But I do believe I was "content" right then -- doing the best I could in God's arms.

I dunno. . . . Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

C
cklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #27
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

No, Camille, I think that's exactly right.

Joy is resting in the arms of Jesus, even when bad things happen and are scary and overwhelming. It's trusting that everything will be all right in the end because God is in control, even you don't understand and may *never* understand why. Joy is having that "peace that passes all understanding" and being grateful for that.

It's not being happy no matter what. That's called insanity. The point of Christianity is to have a *relationship* with God. Relationships go through ups and downs, good and bad times. That's how we grow. And God certainly knows how we're feeling, so we can be open and honest about it. And then choose to trust him in spite of how we feel.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #28
cklewis
Deactivated

cklewis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
It's not being happy no matter what. That's called insanity.
True!

C
cklewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #29
Irene

wow this is so beautiful you guys!

I agree that it is about making a choice to be content I am learning I have 2 special needs kids and sometimes i just wanna kick and scream have my big feelings, which is okay but after that I realize *how content* I really am Im not always bubbly and jumping up and down with "happiness" as Mary said, I would be insane (okay, sometimes I think i am insane ) but I do think that I am joyful. and now Im happy reading this thread because Im realizing that I am!
Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
Maggie
Deactivated

love

Maggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond reputeMaggie has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful thoughts, and so true!

Had to at the "always happy is insanity" comment, Mary!
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote