Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Mommy2three

Default no greater joy/the Pearls

I admit that the recent child abuse murder based on the Pearl's teaching is sad and should be treated as what it is: child abuse. The thing is that my dh and I get their magazine No Greater Joy I use the articles on homeschooling and their daughters, Rebekah and Shalom write very well done columns about herb usage, craft ideas {the recipe for peanut butter playdough went over HUGE with my three little nieces and both my girls}. The way my dh and I see it, is as with anything out there nowadays, you have to use common sense and decide what works best for YOUR family and their needs

Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no greater joy/the Pearls

There are so many other authors out there with similar good ideas that don't promote child abuse. I see no reason to support or condone the Pearls because they have a few good ideas mixed in with the lies they teach.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
hsgbdmama
Deactivated

Yeah, it's winter here ...

hsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond reputehsgbdmama has a reputation beyond repute

There are many other resources that are excellent in these areas -- the Pearls have not cornered the market on herbs or homeschooling. Have you checked out the Natural Health area of the boards? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...php?board=40.0

Welcome to the boards!!!
hsgbdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM   #4
snlmama
Deactivated

snlmama is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarynMunchkins
There are so many other authors out there with similar good ideas that don't promote child abuse. I see no reason to support or condone the Pearls because they have a few good ideas mixed in with the lies they teach.
I agree. The peanut butter playdough recipe is all over the internet and I suspect most of thier other craft ideas are as well in some form or version. And, for herbs, I agree - check out the natural health area here. I've gotten tons of advice. Nice thing about it is you don't have to wait for an issue to show up in the magazine. You can just ask.
snlmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say welcome!

Quote:
The way my dh and I see it, is as with anything out there nowadays, you have to use common sense and decide what works best for YOUR family and their needs
That's a very sensible attitude to take. We all do need to learn to be discerning readers.

I don't suppose anyone picks up a book not intending to use common sense, though, kwim? Some people think they have it, but don't. (Like maybe their own upbringing was so "off" that they really don't know what normal looks like from the inside. I've seen a lot of well-intentioned folks go off the rails because of that.) That's why I wouldn't recommend a source like that. For kids crafts and herbal information and stuff, I'd steer someone in another direction. But I wouldn't try and talk YOU out of something if you've already found yourself able to screen and enjoying parts of it.
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
luvinmykidz
Rose Garden

luvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of lightluvinmykidz is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't support the pearls no matter what

Mom to 3 very energetic and crazy children!
Richard (11)
Belle (8)
David (6)

Striving to be a more patient momma to children with emotion regulation problems...aka Bipolar disorder, ADHD, sensory integration dysfunction and ODD
luvinmykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
DeenyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmykidz
I wouldn't support the pearls no matter what
Exactly what i was thinking
Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

Maybe you'd be interested in Gentle Mothering, the print newsletter from GCM.
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to see a craft done by them that can't be found super easily in many other places. I don't expect to agree 100% with everything someone writes about even some controversial issues. However the Pearls for me way overstep my personal boundries and I can not in good contience supprt them.

Deanna
Old 03-29-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone is wise. Not everyone has good discernment. I will certainly love my neighbors (including the Pearls) the way Jesus said too. But I do not, cannot, and will not support their ministry in any way. That being said, they do need lots of prayers so that they may discern for themselves if what they teach is truly Biblical and with the teachings of Christ. They need massive amounts of prayer. The internet and books are full of ideas. Id like to think we can get all of those ideas from more kid friendly sources. By the way, did I miss your intro?
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

I agree with the pp. I would not support the Pearls or Ezzo's simply because they are distorting the Word of God and leading many people astray. I dont bad mouth them, but I also do not support, endorse, or recommend their materials. I was one of those people who thought I knew what I believed about child-rearing, after all I had been brought up in a gentle home, had worked with children for years, had taken many many courses on child development, how to discipline without hitting, ect. I worked in a daycare where Becky Bailey's materials were available. BUT after reading these type of books, was lead in the wrong direction in the name of Christianity. I fought with my mother (who was abused as a child and therefore never laid a hand on us) about spanking, she could not believe I'd ever hit my children. Unfortunatly I bought into the whole thing, believing that these 'experts' knew more about the bible than I did. It is a daily struggle to change my thinking now. I wish I never had read those books. I wish well meaning friends had never given them to me. I wish people would realize how dangerous they could be and stopped supporting them so that no one else is lead astray. Thankfully, by the grace of God, I found out about AP and GBD again in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. God got to me just in time! And thankfully I realized before I had my daughter that those methods were abusive, yes, even if followed exactly as the book says, they are child abuse. Please please dont feel as though I am being ugly, I assure you that is not my intent, it is just that this is so near to my heart, because I didn't think I could buy into something so horrible, yet after reading the books I did. That is why I would never support them.

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I agree with the pps - my money is a gift from God and I'm called to be a steward of that money. I wouldn't knowingly support a ministry that was leading people astray. Especially a "ministry" linked to child abuse.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really interested in this news story about the death... still looking for it ....

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #14
TulipMama
Deactivated

TulipMama is on a distinguished road

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/418676.html
TulipMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
illinoismommy
Rose Garden

illinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond reputeillinoismommy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.... !

Mommy to: Ds (9.5), Dd (7), Ds2 (6), and Ds3 (4.5).

illinoismommy is offline   Reply With Quote