Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default SACH bible study, bleh

I knew it was probably coming, our new pastor's wife is teaching a bible study using Shepherding A Child's Heart,

The study will be at night. On one hand I should go because not the whole book is bad and I could bring up questions. On the other hand, I don't like going out at night and I really don't want to study this book.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for kiloyd:
Mokek Kwe (10-13-2010), Zooey (10-16-2010)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
AmyDoll
Deactivated

AmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SACH bible study, bleh

ew. That's so stinky. That book gets me riled I wouldnt be able to go without losing my mind. I'd stay home & probably avoid church. Oh wait. That *is* what I do. I'm sorry, friend.
AmyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
BethMarie

Can you give some details as to why this book is not reccomended? I had a girlfriend tell me she loved the book so I'm just curious...having not read it myself...why it would be not recommended by a GCMama
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
Joanne
Deactivated

Joanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond reputeJoanne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethMarie View Post
Can you give some details as to why this book is not reccomended? I had a girlfriend tell me she loved the book so I'm just curious...having not read it myself...why it would be not recommended by a GCMama
It's very spanking centered and from an adversarial mindset. Tripp sees spanking as a cure-all, Biblical discipline and uses bad exegesis to defend spanking as the primary "discpline" tool of young children.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joanne For This Useful Post:
Zooey (10-16-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyDoll View Post
ew. That's so stinky. That book gets me riled I wouldnt be able to go without losing my mind. I'd stay home & probably avoid church. Oh wait. That *is* what I do. I'm sorry, friend.
Yeah, I don't really want to listen to this pastor's sermons anymore. I'm not excited to go to church now. The bad thing is dh would agree with a lot of it, even though he has only spanked our kids maybe 2 times.

SACH says "we are sinning if we do not spank our children". I say we are sinning if we don't discipline our children.

There are soooo many other better parenting books, I'm not wasting my time on this one.

Marynmunchkins has a blog about some of the book, I'll get her to link to it.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely stay home.

Quote:
Tripp does a very contradictory thing with SACH. He spends 70% of the book talking about connecting to your child and reaching their heart. THEN he starts talking about things like the 'bottom to heart' connection and a very disturbing story where he talks about spanking his child and when they did not present a 'happy' attitude afterwards informing the child that they 'were not sweet enough and needed more of a spanking' (earning him the 'spank them till they're sweet' title).

So in addition to contractictions within his own writing, two big things come from this. Focus on outward behavior and 'sweetness' over true understanding and willingness on the part of the child (dispite the other half of the book ) and the idea that physical pain and punishment can bring about a change in heart and motivation.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (10-15-2010), Quiteria (10-17-2010), SortaCrunchy (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Check out this post from our Resources Sticky. You might also want to check out this blog.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
mwwr
Deactivated

It is good to be Queen!

mwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond reputemwwr has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend that *you* go to a night Bible study if the topic was excellent. Since it is not, stay home.

What does D. think about the new pastor overall? Would you be willing to shere your views and concerns with him/her?
mwwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwr View Post
I wouldn't recommend that *you* go to a night Bible study if the topic was excellent. Since it is not, stay home.

What does D. think about the new pastor overall? Would you be willing to shere your views and concerns with him/her?
Yeah, I was invited to a Tupperware party that was tonight at 7pm and I remembered it at 7:10. I'm not a night person. So why would I go to a "bible study" to study SACH???? NOT!

I need to read Mary's blog. I just read Jen's letter. I need to arm myself and when asked, which I'm sure will happen, if I'm coming to the Thurs. night study I can say "no, I will not study that book". Or give me something else to say.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
katiekind
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Peace be with you.

katiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond reputekatiekind has a reputation beyond repute

You could say something like, "I love the shepherding imagery that he uses, and the focus on grace, but I find what he says about spanking to be very disturbing, so I'm not interested. Thanks though. I will pray for the class."
katiekind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katiekind For This Useful Post:
AmyDoll (10-15-2010), ClassicMom (10-15-2010), Zooey (10-16-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
mommy9994
Rose Bush

mommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of lightmommy9994 is a glorious beacon of light

we took this class at church when we *did* spank. Even then, after the video/chapter where he talks about spanking, dh and I were like "this guy's creepy". I think a lot of what he says about getting to the heart is spot on. This chapter just seems out of place in an otherwise ok book.

Not to mention, in the videos, he's just... creepy.

striving to be a gentler mommy to
Alekzandr
Charles
Aliana
Rebekah
Lydia
trusting the Lord for any future children.
Feel free to pm me about food allergies, eczema, complementarian marriage, homeschooling, breastfeeding, large family...
mommy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommy9994 For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-14-2010), Hermana Linda (10-14-2010), Zooey (10-16-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekind View Post
You could say something like, "I love the shepherding imagery that he uses, and the focus on grace, but I find what he says about spanking to be very disturbing, so I'm not interested. Thanks though. I will pray for the class."

Thanks, I think I'll put this in my own words, sounds better than "NO, I'm not going to that class!". LOL!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following User Says they are praying for kiloyd:
katiekind (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
BethMarie

Wow! I had no idea...thank you for posting the links for me to research this book. My heart is saddened by it's contents and I now totally understand your delema...prayers for you in how to respond.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Wow! I had no idea...thank you for posting the links for me to research this book. My heart is saddened by it's contents and I now totally understand your delema...prayers for you in how to respond.
Thank you for your prayers.

I think that even if part of a book is good, if it has another part that is awful then it should not be taught/studied. There are so many other books that are all good, like Easy To Love, Difficult to Discipline. Of course that one is not speficially Christian.

Give me a good Christian based book. Families Where Grace is in Place is good
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
Old 10-16-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
Zooey
Rose Trellis

Zooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond reputeZooey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
It's very spanking centered and from an adversarial mindset. Tripp sees spanking as a cure-all, Biblical discipline and uses bad exegesis to defend spanking as the primary "discpline" tool of young children.
This; exactly.