Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:39 AM   #31
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barton for dyslexia or something else.

There is a preview...I had to click around for a while to find it, but there is a preview of the spelling journal. That you could make yourself in a notebook if you just start a page every time you run across a new phonogram. I am debating back and forth over whether it might be worth it in terms of how dd would feel about it being all professional looking.

I actually priced blank playing cards (see Amazon) for making my own game decks, but I'm not sure what all the decks have for extra cards besides the letters. (I think there's some extra wild cards.) I did buy the game book, so I need to go scour it to see whether it says or not.

I think you could potentially get away with making the spelling rule and phonogram flashcards yourself, as I believe those are stated in the book. Those are different decks than the game decks.

I may have priced Avery flashcard products trying to determine whether I could even print them rather than handwrite on index cards. It started to get into the realm of complicated enough I was afraid I wouldn't follow through, or would end up spending more. But it's a thought...

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Sample of Spelling Journal pages, click thumbnails in middle of page to enlarge:
http://www.logicofenglish.com/supple...elling-journal

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
tigerlily (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #32
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if I can just re-use my AAS phoneme and rules cards for that part. .

Thanks for the link on the spelling book. It's really similar to AAS activity of listing the 4 ways to write the sound (a) and then listing words. Although this would save a step of writing it out.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #33
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

That is totally my plan. (reusing the AAS phonogram and rules cards.)

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
tigerlily (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #34
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a cart on Rainbow Resource with LOE essentials cursive, spelling book, game book, and 2 sets of game cards (blue). Do you think the cards need to be different sets (1 blue, 1 red) or does it matter?

Anyway, the total is $142 and change before tax. I'm going to think on it and hopefully order today.

~The Doctor
Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #35
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Some of the games are matching the different fonts. On the LOE website, the blue ones are mandatory (bookface font) and the green cursive are the other ones you'd want. Red is manuscript handwriting if you feel she needs practice distinguishing a handprinted a, g, etc. from a book printed a, g, etc.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Do you think she'd need the tactile cards? They come up under Rhythm of Handwriting or tactile cursive cards. Also, I'm not sure whether you might need the Handwriting workbook in addition to the Essentials workbook.

Gulp. It's a lot.

tigerlily (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #36
tigerlily
Rose Garden

Ahh, thanks! That's exactly what I need to know. I'd get the blue and green then.

~The Doctor
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #37
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Cross-posted with you about the tactile cards. See above.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #38
tigerlily
Rose Garden

Honestly, she's doing okay with cursive -- she just needs more practice. Her manuscript has a few reversals, but I'm hoping with more time and study of cursive those will start taking care of themselves.

I might try a few other free things before I do that.

~The Doctor
Quiteria (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #39
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Awesome

Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #40
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Dianne craft isn't complete enough

And yes recipe for reading is starting entirely over and tends to be very beginner. it was part of our sons struggle. but he needed the remediation so we pushed through it. It's only babyish in language (3 word sentences)! It's not babyish in topic. But from the research and reading I'm doing lately, I'm wondering if spelling remediation would fix your daughters phonics issues

I'm going to look at logic of English

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
tigerlily (08-01-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #41
tnaallen
Rose Garden

tnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant futuretnaallen has a brilliant future

Jumping in! I finally got to a point that I knew my dd for sure has reading/writing struggles and got testing done. She's a moderate dyslexic, with her intelligence masking it. The woman we tested with said dd is testing at 10th grade level for word blending/comprehension, but her phonemic awareness/auditory is below 1st (she's 8, going into 3rd grade). Looking at the results graph, if she were in the public school system she'd be pushed through as having no issues.

Anyhow, the screening woman is an official Barton tutor, but said dd would need LiPs first. I've had no idea what that was until finding this thread. Barton is too expensive for us, so I was thinking of going with All About Reading. I'm seeing many of you mention AAS, but not AAR. Why is that? I was planning to do AAR up to level 1, then at level 2 add in AAS. Would this be overkill? I'm now seeing why we should get Lips foremost after hearing all you ladies talk.

What are we looking at in terms of cost for Lips?

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

OK - I just googled Lips... That's one expensive program! Would I just buy the manual, or is the whole program necessary?
tnaallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tnaallen For This Useful Post:
Auroras mom (08-20-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #42
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaallen View Post
Jumping in! I finally got to a point that I knew my dd for sure has reading/writing struggles and got testing done. She's a moderate dyslexic, with her intelligence masking it. The woman we tested with said dd is testing at 10th grade level for word blending/comprehension, but her phonemic awareness/auditory is below 1st (she's 8, going into 3rd grade). Looking at the results graph, if she were in the public school system she'd be pushed through as having no issues.

Anyhow, the screening woman is an official Barton tutor, but said dd would need LiPs first. I've had no idea what that was until finding this thread. Barton is too expensive for us, so I was thinking of going with All About Reading. I'm seeing many of you mention AAS, but not AAR. Why is that? I was planning to do AAR up to level 1, then at level 2 add in AAS. Would this be overkill? I'm now seeing why we should get Lips foremost after hearing all you ladies talk.

What are we looking at in terms of cost for Lips?

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

OK - I just googled Lips... That's one expensive program! Would I just buy the manual, or is the whole program necessary?
I answered on the other thread, but right now a used 3rd edition LiPS manual is running around $60-65 with shipping on Amazon, which is pretty good. The manual has all the instruction and masters for all the materials - in theory that's all you need, and people on the Well-Trained Mind boards have done it with just that. I'm trying to do it almost that cheap - I just bought one set of tiles and made the rest. (There's some minor differences in the materials between the 3rd and 4th editions - the 3rd edition calls for cling film and felt tiles, while the 4th edition uses magnetic tiles - I just went ahead and made magnetic tiles.)

It's not an open and go program, though - the manual is very well laid out and explains things well imo, but you do have to read and study it and learn how to teach the program - I took quite a few notes and spent time re-reading and digesting the material. Some people decide to buy one or more of the training videos - seeing it done instead of just reading about it can be helpful. They are pricey (around $95 each, and there's four), so I'm holding off unless I run into trouble.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-19-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #43
tigerlily
Rose Garden

I personally have no experience with AAR. We've done AAS for several years though.

Since my dd is reading well, I decided to go with Logic of English and we're working on spelling mostly while strongly stressing phonics. I don't think I would do LoE for us without the base we've had in AAS. I mostly switched because of the negative association dd has with it and previously having her combined with her younger sister before I had her diagnosis.

For her reading I'm working mostly on fluency and making sure she's not skipping words, reducing her guessing (sounding out instead), and doing some guided reading. We also need to build her "reading muscles." She reads well, but not for long. Any ideas on how we could improve that?

(((Amy))) It's hard to know if I'm doing the right thing or not. How is her reading/spelling?

~The Doctor
Quiteria (08-21-2014)