Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default hardwood in the main family room

I really want to replace the carpet in our family room. It's our main living space. We've been in the house 6 years, and I don't know when it was put in before we moved in. It's a beige color, and of course gets so dirty. We get it cleaned but stiil.... I like the idea of hardwood, but dh feels like it will be cold (we do live in a cold climate). We'd need a big area rug. We'd also put it down the hallway (ranch house), that leads to the three bedrooms. The three bedrooms do have hardwood floors that we would not be replacing. I'm thinking it will look funny to not have the same wood, right?

Dh isn't a big fan of the berber carpet that we have in the basement, but I think it's also good for high traffic areas. If we don't do hardwood, what else would be good?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hardwood in the main family room

Hardwood is pretty and cold. Also not helpful with absorbing noise. I like carpet with children who sit in the floor to play.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up with hardwood floors in the living room, we had pillows that we kept to sit in the floor. I love the hard wood floors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Following- same question at our house
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

The downstairs is all that fake hardwood. I forget what it's called. The home came with it like that.

The stairs and upstairs is the original hardwood (we pulled up the carpet and refinished).
So the transition from down to up is a different colored wood and I think looks good.

We have a big area rug in the front room.
I love easy to clean floors with area rugs especially as we had a dog and cat.

I admit, once we changed from carpet to hardwood - it did become noticeably noisier with the running upstairs. As my kids grow get older, the noise level is reducing anyway.

I don't notice it cold on the floors at all - HOWEVER we have boiler heat so all the heating is run through the floors so that might be why.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

All of our floors are hardwood or tile. I love the wood, hate the tile. (I've got kids with allergies, so it's preferable to carpet.) The wood is easy to care for; I just sweep or dust mop.

Our living room is over the garage, but it's extremely well insulated; the floor doesn't feel cold to me. (The kitchen tile does, though.) I have an area rug in the living room for color and to protect the finish from the furniture. (Oy, the scraping! My kids can't leave the furniture alone!) Our last place was an old house and when we took up the ugly carpets that were there, I did notice drafts - mainly around the radiators and from under the molding. Apparently there were gaps that weren't initially visible. If we had stayed longer, I'd have wanted to re-insulate because it was an expensive place to heat. Our current place is new construction, though and extremely snug.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018), twoplustwo (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

We're in an old house and the crawlspace isn't insulated. I don't generally like barefeet. But the kids always have barefeet and sit on the floor, despite the cold hardwood. (We don't have a rug.) I think it's possible to do different hardwoods, just depends on which and how you transition.

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoannaV For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the hardwood with large comfy area rugs that can be cleaned and changed out if needed.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018), lavenlove (12-28-2018), squiddles (12-29-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

We have hardwood on our main floor. I don't think it's cold. I do think it is noisy when the children are running around.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #10
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

We have hardwood. It was loud in our house until we replaced small area rugs with bigger ones, put more pictures on the walls, and added curtains. The floors and leather furniture can feel cold if we are heating the house with the furnace, but when our wood stove is used the heat is nicely absorbed into the furniture and floors. I guess we are the opposite in that most of our bedrooms have wall to wall carpeting. We did that to help deaden noise in those rooms.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

We had hardwood in every room of our last house. I loved it so much. Area rug in the living room, no one complained about having to sit and play. So much easier to clean. We moved a year and a half ago and now we have laminate in the main level and carpet upstairs. I hate the carpet so much - I hope we can rip it out and replace with either laminate or hardwood. I know a lot of people prefer carpet in bedrooms, but I find it so annoying to clean and my cats are just shredding it. (They don't like closed doors.) I personally don't like our laminate, but I think that's my expensive tastes showing through, haha. The thing I dislike the most is how it's such a repetitive design, but I think they make some laminate that is more natural-looking.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 05:23 AM   #12
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I would love to replace our wretched carpet with either laminate or wood in our first floor. Hubs does not want a hard floor in the living room though and he is right that our living room does not lend itself to an area rug well. If we had a different house I would force the issue and do it. I am barefoot most of the time and prefer how wood feels on my feet versus carpet. The downfall is it can be noisy with smaller children. My girls have wood in their room and we hear everything they do.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

My parents have laminate and I think that's louder than hardwood.

Curtains and soft furniture make a huge difference with noise. When my mom put curtains over the blinds in her new piano room she was amazed at the difference; there's much less reverberation. She's got wood cabinets and benches for the most part in that room and putting a few pillows and a new area rug down has made a world of difference. My kids are playing in there right now - Jenga is noisy, but it's clattering off the carpets onto the laminate.

I'm with you, Juniper, I really like the feel of hardwood on bare feet. I'm barefoot most of the time, as are my kids. DH, not so much. If I could, I'd take up the ceramic tile in my kitchen and replace it with wood.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
forty-two
Rose Garden

The Gospel is for Christians, too :).

forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute

We have stone tile in the living areas (and bathrooms), and carpet in the bedrooms. (We actually replaced the old carpet with new carpet when we moved in - I thought about tile or hardwood or wood laminate, but dh and the kids wanted the softness/warmth of carpet in their bedrooms.) I really love the tile - it's practically indestructible, it's easy to sweep (and it matches the local dirt - the sandy dirt from outside blends right in ) - but it is cool on the feet, more than my mom's laminate.

WRT noise, I noticed a big difference when there was no furniture at all - lots of echoes - but with furniture I haven't noticed much difference compared with our old carpeted house. Although it's a lot louder when you drop things, though. And riding toys do make a lot more noise. Oh, and you can hear the dog's nails on the floor as he walks; it doesn't bother me, but my mom hates the sound of it on her floor (every click sounded like scratches being put into her floor ). We have a few small area rugs that we use to hide cords, but no big ones. What really took getting used to was how much *harder* stone tile over a concrete slab is compared to carpet on wood over a basement. Our feet really hurt the first month - I was worried we were going to need house shoes - but we got used to it . My mom, otoh, has had to constantly wear shoes since she put in laminate - she never got used to the floor being harder.

WRT kids playing - they don't complain about the tile, but they do tend to do floor play in their rooms, or in the master bedroom if they need more room. IDK how much of that is not wanting to sit on tile versus that the toys are in their rooms in the first place. They definitely wanted nice, comfy carpet in their rooms, though. And at my mom's, ds7 did his building on the large area rug instead of on the laminate. They do their fort building in the living room, though. And ds7 rides his fire truck on the tile.

WRT different colors of hardwood between the living areas and the bedrooms, I think that if you picked complementary colors that look good together while also clearly being *different* from each other - so that it doesn't look like you tried to match but failed - that it would look nice.

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special

Wife to my pastor dh (INTP) since 2003

Mother to:
dd13, 'R'
dd10.5, 'A'
ds8, 'J'
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama

What we want is just one thing, not the thing.
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #15
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post

WRT different colors of hardwood between the living areas and the bedrooms, I think that if you picked complementary colors that look good together while also clearly being *different* from each other - so that it doesn't look like you tried to match but failed - that it would look nice.
You could also do parquet or some sort of other pattern that would make the new vs old hardwood look intentional. Although the cost differential may be huge.

The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
esperanza (12-29-2018)