Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Basic Stand mixer

Dd loves to bake and has been asking for a stand mixer for a few years. I'm hesitant to spend a lot of money on a mixer because even though she loves to bake she will most likely only get to use it once a week do to dietary restrictions. Is there a cheaper mixer that would still work for things like cookies, and bread/pizza dough? Or do I really need to invest in a Kitchenaid? I have been trying to read reviews on Amazon but they are so mixed.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic Stand mixer

Have you looked for a used kitchenade? Last year I picked one up for a friend for the price of a cheaper mixer. I found it on Facebook market place.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

What's your budget? I got the huge, heavy duty Kitchen Aid mixer on a lightening deal for $200! Normally $400-450.

But, just for single batches of cookies or cake, you don't need a heavy duty mixer. Once you get into stiff doughs like gingerbread or double batches, then the light duty mixers can't handle it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think she would be making double batches of anything because as it is we would have a hard time finishing single batches. I do want her to be able to make bread dough, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough, and any type of cookies she wants to make. Honestly I am looking for something good for under a hundred. If that isn't possible we will probably go with the kitchenaid classic plus I found for $176.00. It will be a Christmas present and we usually don't spend more than $75 for gifts and stocking stuffers combined, but my in-laws are going to help pay for it.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

For reference we have been using a cheap hand mixer from Wal-Mart since I got married 15 yrs ago and dh's muscle power for kneading dough when needed which means she doesn't get to make bread type things very often and cookies get mixed with a fork by hand at the end.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I paidrightat$100 for the bearly used KitchenAid I bought used last year.

But I don't think you have to have a stand mixer. My brother is currently living in northern Chile and still makes amazing things ( bread, cookies, cakes you name, it even Fritos ) useing only the little hand mixer than he could buy locally. It is a bit more work.

The only thing that I think she would *need* a stand mixer for would be if she was making marchmellows or merang. Things where it is really inportant to whisk in lots of air to make the steucter work.

You said you have food allergies. If you are gluten free might try to work harder to get a higher end mixer because gluten free things tend to be stiffer and harder

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (12-13-2018), rdsmommy (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I never believed in stand mixers. Even when I saw my sister in law make cookies in a blink I stubbornly stuck with a spoon and my hands. Then my husband bought me one and man does it make my life easier. I have a kitchenaid professional 600 which I love. It was refurbished but came looking completely brand new. They told me they are often used once for demos. Not sure if it’s true or not but it save me a lot of money. Amazon has them refurbished for $199.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (12-13-2018), rdsmommy (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

I know she doesn't "need" one but even my husband gets tired kneading dough by hand and she does like to make macaroons which take a lot of work with the hand mixer we have. We don't have any allergies just my dh has to stay low carb. He was diagnosed prediabetic a yr ago and has since gone very low carb and kept his numbers in the normal range. I have been doing the same for moral support so we try to stay away from most of the things that dd wants to make. This means she will probably only be able to bake small amounts maybe once a week which is why I wasn't sure if spending close to $200 on a mixer is worth it. Dh says it's ok because it will last a long time and she can take it with her as an adult.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I have three Kitchen Aid mixers, a hand mixer and two stand mixers - a tilt head Artisan and a bowl lift model. The tilt head is 22 years old; I've had it since college. The other was a floor model from Kohl's that my dad bought for my mom. It didn't have a box so he got it for a steal (under $200, iirc). Mom gave it to me when they downsized a couple years ago. My aunt has one that's pushing 50 years old. (It's so old it says Hobart - Kitchen Aid's commercial parent company - on the side!) They last a long time. I've only ever had one problem with a stand mixer and all it took was a quick adjustment at the appliance shop to fix. I wish I'd fared as well with food processors!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to knead bread dough, get a Kitchen Aid. The more powerful one where the bowl is raised and lowered, if you can. You won't regret it.

They are $250 right now at Costco, comes in 3 colors. It's the big 6 quart. Do you or anyone you know have a membership? It states $269 here but I saw it for $250 in the warehouse. https://www.costco.com/KitchenAid-Pr...100304199.html

Amazon refurbished for $199 if you like red. https://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-Pr...qxL&ref=plSrch

Later, if you want, you can get attachments for it like a meat grinder, pasta extruder, etc. It can even make ice cream. It will knead bread dough in MINUTES. You can cream frozen butter.

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmommy View Post
Dh says it's ok because it will last a long time and she can take it with her as an adult.
. My mom's is over thirty years old. Mine was over 20 years old when I broke it, totally my fault.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-13-2018), twoplustwo (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
knitlove
Rose Garden

The KitchenAid that I have is the one my dad bought my mom as a big splerge when I was 9 or 10 it is close to 30 years old, and running great!

The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

It sounds like it's worth it. I actually had ordered the Kitchenaid Classic Plus from Kohls a few days ago for $176 with coupon. I was second guessing myself, but I think it is a good investment and will work for what she wants to do. I think we will stick with that one since that is already pushing our budget. Reviews say it will knead dough just not daily which she won't be doing anyway.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-13-2018), MegMarch (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-14-2018), twoplustwo (12-14-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #12
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

That is such a great thing to give her. Plus, you can do attachments and accessories for it as future gifts

I've had my KA for years now and it's really great.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

My Bosch compact is amazing! I don't know if it is cheaper than the kitchenaid, but it is at least smaller, which is a plus.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
knitlove (12-14-2018), rdsmommy (12-13-2018), Soliloquy (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I think she'll love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmommy View Post
It sounds like it's worth it.

I know the decision is already made but wanted to chime in she will probably love it.

I always used a hand mixer thinking the stands were too much $ for what you got. Then my MIL got my one for xmas one year and I loved it. Then she broke it making. . . oh whats that dessert thats white and you have to beat it and beat until its solid.

And then I really missed it. Dh got me one for xmas on a Lightening deal last year too and such a relief. I dont even back all that much, but its so much better when I do.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (12-14-2018)