Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 04-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

One day at a time; Keep it simple; Be grateful; Smile

Kaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the rough
Default Book recommendation for anger in a preschooler

I think that this is the right forum to post this question.

I have a friend whose 4 year old has had angry outbursts for years.

They are going to a therapist but I thought that I'd ask here to see if there is a good book that addresses this issue in such a young child.

I found this book on Amazon but the reviews don't reveal much about what the author proposes: http://smile.amazon.com/Heart-Anger-...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Has anyone ever read that one?

Thanks in advance.
Kaela Parakaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
lucie
Climbing Rose

lucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Book recommendation for anger in a preschooler

"The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene has good tips. It's reassuring that there isn't anything "wrong" with the child--he just needs tools and skills to deal with being inflexible (which usually results in the angry outbursts).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucie For This Useful Post:
On Fire (08-04-2015), WanderingJuniper (08-05-2015)
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly, Lou Priolo is very harsh as far as discipline goes. I am judging based on the other book recommendations, Ted Tripp. I could be mistaken, but isn't John MacArthur the pastor of Ezzo's church.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

Kaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the roughKaela Parakaleo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie View Post
"The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene has good tips. It's reassuring that there isn't anything "wrong" with the child--he just needs tools and skills to deal with being inflexible (which usually results in the angry outbursts).
OH! She is reading that one right now! I couldn't remember the name of it when I was posting. Glad to hear that another GCM likes it.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty4Ashes View Post
If I remember correctly, Lou Priolo is very harsh as far as discipline goes. I am judging based on the other book recommendations, Ted Tripp. I could be mistaken, but isn't John MacArthur the pastor of Ezzo's church.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
I have no idea.

Kaela is Hebrew for beloved. My radical identity is that I am deeply and fully loved by God.

Parakaleo is Greek and it means (among other things) to encourage. I pray that every word that I speak or write is an encouragement to others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaela Parakaleo For This Useful Post:
lucie (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking just for ideas for the adults to read or are you also thinking of books to read with the child? Sitting down and reading some books on emotions may be helpful for the preschooler as well.
I once worked in a school situation where we made our own "social stories" to read with students giving real life examples of situations and examples of appropriate ways to respond.
VERY Simplified version:
"Sometimes Mrs. X is sick. If she is sick, she will stay home from school. She will call a substitute teacher to come in for her. The substitute teacher is not Mrs. X, but I can learn anyways. It is ok to be sad or upset, but I will still do my best to learn and reach xyz goal."

They basically help model internal dialogue or put thoughts into words. They were helpful to some of our students, even if it seems silly to you and maybe even to them at first.

If you look up "social stories" online you may be able to find some examples. It's been several years since I've looked any up. Also, I have no recommendations for adult books at the moment. All the books I've read on the subject were before I became a parent and before my ideas on parenting have molded into what they are now, so even if I used to think a book was good, I'm still wary of my previous self's opinions, hehe.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
Delyrics (04-03-2014), Kaela Parakaleo (04-03-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

While not specifically about anger, a book that my kids really enjoyed and found helpful was Have You Filled a Bucket Today? It can be a springboard for talking about how, when we feel badly, we act badly. Anger, in itself, isn't the problem, it's what we do with that anger. And, helping our children (and ourselves) to identify the feelings that, if unaddressed, lead to anger.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Kaela Parakaleo (04-06-2014), On Fire (08-04-2015), sunflowermom (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Kaela Parakaleo
Rosebud

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
While not specifically about anger, a book that my kids really enjoyed and found helpful was Have You Filled a Bucket Today? It can be a springboard for talking about how, when we feel badly, we act badly. Anger, in itself, isn't the problem, it's what we do with that anger. And, helping our children (and ourselves) to identify the feelings that, if unaddressed, lead to anger.
Thanks, Lisa! My library has it and I've requested it. I'll check it out!

Kaela is Hebrew for beloved. My radical identity is that I am deeply and fully loved by God.

Parakaleo is Greek and it means (among other things) to encourage. I pray that every word that I speak or write is an encouragement to others.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

How To Really Love Your Angry Child
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-06-2014), WanderingJuniper (08-05-2015)
Old 04-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also be careful to not over-label outbursts as angry. Sometimes it's frustration, which isn't the same, but repeatedly calling it anger can cause a child to understand it only through that lens.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

unaddressed frustration can result in anger but they're different.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
lucie
Climbing Rose

lucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant futurelucie has a brilliant future

That's a good point. I noticed with Anna too, that the underlying emotion for the explosion isn't always the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

It's something I only learned in the past few years. I'll have had an awesome but long day with the kids. I'm making dinner and they're all in the kitchen making a normal amount of noise for 4 kids. But I am DONE. I need some quiet. I can ignore that, tell myself I'm being unreasonable, and wind up snapping at them for normal kid stuff. Or, when I feel myself starting to simmer, I can tell them I need thirty minutes to myself and they either need to go upstairs or outside until dinner. Then I'm a little refreshed and ready to do dinner & bedtime.

Identifying the simmer before the pot boils over and someone gets burned. I learned that analogy from Joysworld.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (04-06-2014), Kaela Parakaleo (04-08-2014), lucie (04-06-2014)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
On Fire
Rose Bush

On Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the roughOn Fire is a jewel in the rough

All the best for Jan 2016
Old 08-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of child anger (and to some extent adult anger, too) is actually anxiety. I would look into that for sure! I heard somewhere that anger is not a primary emotion- it's always a secondary emotion, so to figure it out you have to figure out what the primary emotion was that triggered the anger.

For kids I like "the Feelings book". It's not super detailed. I don't remember the author but it's very colorful- like some of the people have green faces, blue faces, etc.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (08-05-2015)